essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Pauline »

Beautiful GH images Mark. So crisp and no 'clutter' to detract from that gorgeous butterfly. It's what I try to aim for but rarely succeed.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel, yes they were still in pretty good nick at that stage, especially the females.

Thanks David. Yes, I did eventually manage to catch up with most of the spring species.

Hi Pauline. Thanks. A nice picture, but although I try, it’s sometimes more by luck than judgement!

The next day, we headed off to Hartslock reserve, near Goring, to see the amazing hybrid Orchids there. In the early 2000’s, lady and monkey orchids crossed. Not one for the purists, perhaps, but some of these Orchids are quite spectacular!
C4A39293-8B47-49CC-ACC9-DF7545E8BF19.jpeg
Butterflies included Greens, and plenty of Dingy Skippers.
6D2F7ABA-BCF9-4D81-A013-0448375642F9.jpeg
A bonus which I hope, rather than expect to see here,is the club tail dragonfly. Only the second time I have seen it!
9906CF8E-2FD2-48A6-AAAD-406B77541E5B.jpeg
Hartslock.
16EE46B5-929D-48AB-8FD3-F894688EDF43.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I read about the hybrids in An Orchid Summer (think Patrick Barkham does plants :wink:) and I'd love to see them and the Club-tail too 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Hybrid orchids are manna from heaven for some, Mark. Lots we don't know about how and why this happens. Seen some peculiar ones in the Italian Alps this week but sadly I don't have the knowledge and experience to identify them.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys. Yes, there is still much we don’t know about Orchids. Clearly they are still evolving, and so is our knowledge about them!

Crikey, how did I get so far behind? Looks like I’m going to be having a competition without Wurzel this year!

On the 17th May, it was time to head down to east Kent. With the mayblossm, or hawthorn, out in full, Lydden was a picture of colour.
16B65CED-52BD-4A69-908C-E2D927E4DE34.jpeg
Numbers of butterflies seemed a little on the low side, but the species were interesting, including my first Brown Argus of 2022.
297657BA-93F7-4CD5-99A4-D358D0898BD3.jpeg
Small Blues were also present, at the Temple Ewell end.
74F512BF-C11C-4061-A412-14737656CFF6.jpeg
As were the first Adonis Blues.
A60116FE-5F29-403A-A1F3-F854C43D98B8.jpeg
The glorious hawthorn is so evocative of these wonderful spring days, it’s worth a close up picture!
D59F32D4-44E2-4C2C-83D3-A210414E561F.jpeg
Then onto Denge Wood. Here flies the Duke of Burgundy, and a few were found, though it was getting late in the season for them.
896E4CD8-AF3A-478E-ACAA-3FDFA10C4E18.jpeg
But the greatest attraction here was the abundant and splendid show of lady Orchids, which were at their peak.
5D8015F8-E38D-4DF2-AFC0-C17A114F2F88.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely to see the Lady Orchids Essex and I really like the 3/4 butterfly shots - I always think they nicely show off the butterfly 8) :mrgreen: I slowed down to let Bugboy catch up so I could do the same for you if you want? :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:49 pm...The glorious hawthorn is so evocative of these wonderful spring days...
Absolutely, Mark. It's a beautiful sight, along with the horse chestnut candles.

Probably my favourite time of year.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Wurzel, if you don’t mind, that would be great! :lol:

Agreed, David. My favourite time too, and for once, good weather, too!

So, late May arrived, and time for a short break in Cornwall. My main hope here was to see some early Silver Studded Blues. This was very successful, as we’ll see! But first to Kynance Cove, for a very scenic walk, enjoying plenty of flowers, and a few Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.
B84B4A10-271C-42F9-B873-EB692D842183.jpeg
225CE9BB-AE00-4C31-96B2-A835E338D1C6.jpeg
Heath Spotted Orchids are plentiful here, normally in June but here in late May.
75A22C78-3AC2-4660-846E-FA6033321AD2.jpeg
I last saw Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries in August, so it was nice to catch up with them in spring.
C72A5E42-7FB4-4960-AED8-94BC98D0B550.jpeg
B485D3AB-1DA0-40F3-A965-DA8F127B76E8.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I enjoy your scenic shots even more than I do your butterflies Mark. You are just so good at it - it just draws me in and I feel like I want to go there. Keep them coming please.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great shots from Cornwall Mark :mrgreen: :D .

We haven't made it there this year and with other plans for the rest of the year won't be going either. Your shots of Kynance Cove have made me miss the place. Maybe next year.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I essex, you make think I chose the wrong County with your great shots of Cornwall :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Great place, Mark, like Pembrokeshire on steroids!! Glad you saw the SPBFs and I look forward to the other sightings you got. :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of Cornwall Essex and good to see the Small Pearls in such a stunning location 8) :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Pauline. I always think a scenery shot or two adds a little something. Especially when you have scenery like that!

Thanks Neil. Yes, it was great be back, and in spring, too. My favourite time of the year.

Thanks Goldie. Don’t worry, you have picked a great location down there in Kent.

Thanks David. Much as I love Cornwall, I really must get to Pembrokeshire sometime.

Thanks Wurzel. Yes, this is certainly the most spectacular location for SPBF that I know of!

And now the bad news. Another species I was really looking foreword to seeing was Marsh Fritillary. I sometimes see the odd one at Kynance Cove, but a far more reliable site for them is just inland, at Hayle Kimbro Pool. However, a good look around the site, in cloudy but warm weather, failed to turn up a single specimen- a site that produced adults by the dozen a few years ago. Truth be told, I couldn’t find much of the foodplant, devils bit scabious, either. There also seems to have been a fire at the site, going by the burnt gorse bushes. I can only hope the colony has survived, and will recover in time.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Like you say hopefully you'll be able to hang on there - they do have booms and busts so hopefully this will just be a slight dip and they'll be hanging around somewhere nearby :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:56 pm...And now the bad news. Another species I was really looking foreword to seeing was Marsh Fritillary. I sometimes see the odd one at Kynance Cove, but a far more reliable site for them is just inland, at Hayle Kimbro Pool. However, a good look around the site, in cloudy but warm weather, failed to turn up a single specimen- a site that produced adults by the dozen a few years ago. Truth be told, I couldn’t find much of the foodplant, devils bit scabious, either. There also seems to have been a fire at the site, going by the burnt gorse bushes. I can only hope the colony has survived, and will recover in time.
Marsh Fritillary is a 'boom and bust' species, Mark. There are years where they are beyond plentiful, and others where it seems they are on the verge of disappearing (I see this on my local patch every year).

Shame about the fires but so long as some of the habitat remained intact I'm sure they'll be back in decent numbers at some point.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:56 pm ... but a far more reliable site for them is just inland, at Hayle Kimbro Pool. However, a good look around the site, in cloudy but warm weather, failed to turn up a single specimen- a site that produced adults by the dozen a few years ago. Truth be told, I couldn’t find much of the foodplant, devils bit scabious, either. There also seems to have been a fire at the site, going by the burnt gorse bushes. I can only hope the colony has survived, and will recover in time.
I visited there last spring and was quite dismayed by what I found, not only evidence of a couple of recent fires but what had been the most productive spot in previous years was badly churned up with lots of deep ruts left by heavy tractors or other farm machinery. I didn't find any Marsh Fritillaries there but quite possibly I was a bit early given the poor spring last year...I only found one very fresh individual at Predannack Cliffs.
Like you, I can only hope that it survives here as it seemed to be a good strong colony in the past.

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone for your messages.

Enough of the bad news. Now for the good stuff!

Another of the species I was hoping to see in Cornwall was the Silver-studded Blues. But would late May be too early for them? Last year, possibly yes. But this year, definitely not! I’m pleased to say, at the Hayle Towans area, there were dozens, if not hundreds of them ! Once the morning sun warmed things up, the dunes were shimmering blue in places, a sight to behold, and one that will last long in the memory!
5B7909CC-5C74-4571-9E50-D625EFE9DE7B.jpeg
New adults were emerging all around, tended by black ants. The first time I have witnessed this event, and another memorable encounter.
D9B74D9A-2F0E-4EA9-A3DD-CC1860C6F2BF.jpeg
This must be one of the most scenic SSB colonies in the country!
9AD0A8E9-B952-4199-B186-2CC6D814D929.jpeg
606CC339-FAA8-45A8-BAA5-55B6F3221129.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:22 pmThis must be one of the most scenic SSB colonies in the country!
For sure,Mark. Those images don't lie! :mrgreen:

Glad you saw plenty but May is ridiculously early...although it has, once again, been a bizarre year weatherwise.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It certainly has, David. Last year was a wet summer. What a contrast this year, in the southern half of the country at least!

Return to “Personal Diaries”