Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Trevor

Post by essexbuzzard »

I didn’t see any Common Blues there either, but I did see your Painted Lady!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely PL Trevor, the same one I saw on Sunday I reckon. :D Southwick has been a new site for me this year, with 3 visits so far. What a great place. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Mark & Andrew.
That painted Lady was probably the easiest going Butterfly I've ever met.
Hope it was as well behaved for you both.
Yes, Southwick is a fabulous end of season site.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Cloudy images Trevor :D :mrgreen: And that Painted Lady is a beaut - I've still to find one with the blue ocelli on the hind wings :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A very nice Painted Lady, Trevor - and the Cloudies too. It continues to be worth a visit, clearly! :)

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I arrived at Southwick much later than I would have liked, a later start and
heavy traffic were to blame. Two familiar faces were already on site, Katrina and
Bugboy. Paul pointed out a female Clouded Yellow on an egg laying mission.
She was certainly very busy, and very active searching out suitable Trefoil on
which to lay.
When an egg was located, the challenge to obtain an image of it proved very trying.
After Katrina and Paul left for Mill Hill I found another egg and had a little more
success with this one.
Quite a few male Cloudies spent the morning patrolling, and rarely settled for
more than a few seconds. There seemed to be more around today compared to recent visits.
Other species present included Red Admirals, a male Common Blue, several ' Whites ',
and a surprise Speckled Wood.

An interesting morning, in good company,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1230130.JPG
A very busy egg laying Clouded Yellow.
A very busy egg laying Clouded Yellow.
The first Clouded Yellow egg, found by Paul. Sorry about image quality.
The first Clouded Yellow egg, found by Paul. Sorry about image quality.
The second egg.
The second egg.
P1230095.JPG
P1230158.JPG
P1230152.JPG
One of the large vessels to be seen passes close by.
One of the large vessels to be seen passes close by.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Southwick continues to impress, Trevor. :) I may have to make one more trip, despite the impending end to the warm weather (there will still be sunshine, though, which is perhaps more important). There may well be butterflies into November again at this rate. :)

Cheers,

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The way that female was laying eggs that bank must be heaving with them!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Dave & Paul.
You are probably right Dave, even on a cool sunny day that bank soon heats up.
It was unbearable with a long sleeved top on today, which was soon shed !.

Let's hope all that egg laying is not in vain Paul, given the time of year.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: What are the chances of those eggs coming to fruition I wonder, a small colony makes it through the winter most years down at Southbourne, fingers crossed for them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Enjoy these last few days while they last, Trevor, as the arctic blast, followed by wind and rain next week, could finish things off.

That Southwick site is south facing and sheltered, so if Clouded Yellow immature stages could survive anywhere, this site has surely a good a chance as any.

David M

Post by David M »

That trip out looks to have been first class indeed, Trevor! Great to have Clouded Yellows as regular autumn companions. Right now, there appear to be more of those around that all the vanessids combined!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Wurzel, David & Mark. I went back for more today !.

The temperature this morning was much cooler than yesterday, and with what
is promised for the next few days I thought I would make hay while the sun shines !.
So it was back to Southwick, and some less active Clouded Yellows.
There was much more basking and nectaring today, compared to yesterday,
when the warmth made them almost hyperactive. Fewer were seen today, suggesting
that some have dispersed. One other welcome sight was a reasonably fresh Common Blue.

Keep warm !,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1230174.JPG
P1230187.JPG
P1230171.JPG
P1230201.JPG
P1230191.JPG
P1230181.JPG
P1230162.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some more decent Cloudies there, Trevor. :) More sunshine to come, but a great deal colder with some ground frost. I wonder if the proximity to the sea will be enough to keep the temperatures up down there overnight. It will be interesting to see what survives.

Cheers,

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice to see a Common Blue, Trev!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great selection of Cloudies there Trevor :D :mrgreen: and a very fine specimen of Common Blue :D :mrgreen: I wonder how this sudden drop in temperatures will affect them - as it's only for a couple of days maybe they'll be able to hang on? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Could be the swansong for those Cloudies, Trevor (as well as the Common Blue). You may have caught them on their last true day of carefree activity.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I found this Clouded Yellow image from October 2016.
I don't think it was posted at the time.
If nothing else the Butterfly really stands out!.
Attachments
P1290086.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is possibly the most yellow Cloudy that I've seen Trevor :shock: :D :mrgreen: Looks like it should be called a Clouded Canary :D :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:I found this Clouded Yellow image from October 2016.
I don't think it was posted at the time.
If nothing else the Butterfly really stands out!.
Something of an understatement, Trevor!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”