Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:..I also spotted a familiar shape flitting about down the bottom of the garden...my first garden Speckled Wood this year, a nice female no less..
The first of many I hope, Neil! Spring hasn't truly sprung till we see images of your domestic Specklies! :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Spring is the first swallow, the first Orangetip - and the first of Neil’s Specklies! :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks all for the comments, it is always good to see the first Specklies back in my garden each year :D

Just out of interest I have looked back at the dates I have first seen them in my garden since I first started taking note;

– 04.05.2016
– 11.04.2014
– 07.05.2013
– 25.03.2012
– 06.04.2011

This shows that despite the long winter and some significant periods of cold and snow, this year - 22.04.2018 - is by no means the latest.

Thursday 26th April

After the brief taste of summer we had the other week it almost feels like we have quickly moved on into autumn around here with an almost constant succession of dull wet and windy days. In actual truth it has returned to what are more normal conditions for this time of year with typical April showers interspersed with brief sunny spells albeit with a cool wind on most days keeping temperatures down.
Looking at the forecast earlier this week, Thursday had seemed to be the best day before more bands of rain would be heading in for the weekend, so I decided to take a flyer and book the day off.
Monday to Wednesday were mostly dull and wet with temperatures struggling into low double figures and some heavy rain showers. Thursday arrived and the forecast was looking to be fairly accurate with a drier but nippy morning and some longer sunny spells that slowly began to make it feel quite pleasant. I spent the first couple of hours pottering about in the garden and was pleased to see a male Speckled Wood had taken up residence in one of the usual corners.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 26.04.2018
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 26.04.2018

By early afternoon the temperature had reached 14 degrees although it was still feeling a bit nippy when the sun was covered by a cloud for any length of time. My purpose in taking the day off was to get out to one of my local spots and hopefully see some Orange-tips and I figured the mix of sun and cloud would mean that they would be flying but settling often enough for some photo opportunities.
Anyway, I decided to try my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull and soon after parking up and heading down the first path I spotted an Orange-tip heading towards me along the hedgerow. Just before he reached me the sun disappeared behind a cloud and sure enough he settled about a dozen feet in front of me with wings still spread to catch whatever warmth he could. This enabled me to sneak up and take a couple of photos before the sun reappeared and he was off again.
Orange-tip - Castle Hills 26.04.18
Over the next couple of hours as I wandered along the paths here, there was a mix of approximately 50/50 cloud and sun which gave me the opportunities to get a few photos of the Orange-tips using the tried and tested method of watching where one settled when a cloud covered the sun and waiting for the sun to reappear when they would open their wings briefly before taking off again.
It is always nice to see an Orange-tip on a blue flower and a couple of patches of forget-me-nots along one stretch gave me the chance for the shot below.
I was watching one particular Orange-tip when a large dark cloud covered the sun for ten minutes and I felt a few drops of rain in the air which luckily didn't develop into much. I did however, see the OT settle on a blackthorn where he immediately closed his wings to sit it out until the sun reappeared which gave me the chance for a nice underside shot.
I kept watch on him hoping for an open wing shot when the sun reappeared but just as that happened a gust of wind hit him and he took off straight away.

Most of the Orange-tips seen were males with just one female spotted who seemed to be more interested in feeding than egg laying. In fact I checked numerous cuckoo flower and garlic mustard plants without finding a single egg which seems to indicate that it is still early days for these here.
Orange-tip female - Castle Hills 26.04.18
Along with the Orange-tips, I was hoping to see a Green-veined White or two which I had not yet managed to see this year. In the end I managed to find a couple of these, both males that looked like they had not been out for long.
Green-veined White male - Castle Hills 26.04.2018
Just like the Orange-tip mentioned above, I was watching one of the GVWs when a cloud covered the sun and he went up onto a nearby blackthorn to sit it out until the sun reappeared.
There is an area here with some large nettle beds which were playing host to some Small Tortoiseshells, I counted at least 4 and suspect there was a couple more but as they were all moving between the different nettle beds I cannot be certain.
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 26.04.2018
A couple of Commas were also spotted, one of which I was almost on top of as he was settled low down at the side of the path during one of the cloudier spells.
Comma - Castle Hills 26.04.2018
All in all, not that many butterflies were seen during my couple of hours here, maybe 7-8 Orange-tips, 2 Green-veined Whites, 4-6 Small Tortoiseshells, 2 Commas and a single Speckled Wood, but given the wet and cool weather we have had most of this week that is probably not surprising. In any case it was just good to get out and see those that were around.

Today (Friday) has been another awful day with almost constant rain until late afternoon and the weekend is not looking much better...glad I took the chance and took my day off on Thursday :D .

Bye for now,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great set of images, Neil, particularly the Orange Tip on Forget-me-nots.
Also you have a female OT, they have yet to appear on my patch.

Lousy weather today here, :( .

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking shots Neil :D :mrgreen: I too placed all my money on Thursday and so watched the weather very carefully during the week - it was quite worrying as it was getting worse as the week went on but then it all came good - and for you too! If only we could get some settled weather :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

:mrgreen: I'm thinking I should have taken a day off this past week but I fear I may have ruined everyone's day given the run of bad luck I'm currently having with the weather. Next Tuesday looked good a few days ago but now looks like another dull wet day is on the cards with things warming up later in the week ready for my weekend at work :roll: . At least images like yours are some compensation for not seeing them with my own eyes!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

You really are the master of lighting when it comes to taking images of Whites, Neil. Lovely crisp, clear photographs with the butterflies posing superbly.

You were lagging behind my part of the UK but certainly Pierids seem to be more numerous in the Midlands right now than they are in south Wales.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sounds like you used the same tactics as I used last week, Neil, when photographing your Orangetips. For picture taking, these cool bright days are invaluable.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Neil :mrgreen: No GV Whites seen here yet, fingers crossed this coming week-end we'll see some :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great selection Neil, lovely open wing shots. :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for the great comments all :D

Since last Thursday the weather has been atrocious here, as I suppose it has most places. Unremitting gloomy clouds, blustery wind and buckets of rain and when the sky has cleared it has been overnight which resulted in frosts on a couple of mornings.

After raining again most of the day today, we had a few sunny spells late afternoon and just after getting in from work I spotted a Green-veined White in the garden through the kitchen window. I watched it settle and with it being the first butterfly I had seen all week I grabbed my camera and shot outside, just in time to grab a couple of shots before it warmed up enough to take off and disappear next door. Shortly after that the dark clouds came over again and so that was that.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 02.05.2018
Green-veined White - Coverdale 02.05.2018
With the nights being either too cold or too windy, or both, I have not put the trap out in the garden now for over a week. The last time was the night of Monday 23rd April when I had my first Brimstone Moth of the year. These usually turn up in good numbers as the season progresses but the first one is always a cheering sight with its bright yellow colour.
Brimstone Moth - Coverdale 23.04.2018
Things look to be improving somewhat from tomorrow, just in time for the bank holiday weekend so hopefully we will all be out seeing some butterflies over the next few days.

Bye for now,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:Things look to be improving somewhat from tomorrow, just in time for the bank holiday weekend so hopefully we will all be out seeing some butterflies over the next few days.
Yes, it's a pattern we're not used to, Neil...i.e. the weather markedly improving IN TIME for Bank Holiday weekend.

Like you, I hope we can all get out and greet some new species, although in the meantime, a reminder of how lovely Brimstone moths are is reasonable compensation!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As David says Neil it's an unusual weather pattern, I'm so used to the best weather days being mid-week and the it steadily getting worse just in time for the weekend...mind you there's still a few days to go yet :? The Brimstone is a classy looking moth, I love the almost metallic looking dash on the fore wing :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

What a lovely moth that Brimstone is Neil. :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I was thinking about you today Neil and when you read my next post you'll understand why :lol: Some lovely shots there - those OT's are so sharp and vibrant they look like they are about to fly out of the PC :lol:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments David, Wurzel and Andrew :D

That yellow colour of the Brimstone Moth is can be remarkably good camouflage against yellowing leaves later in the season, much like the underside of Clouded Yellows.

Cheers Pauline, just seen your post...welcome to the club :D

Friday 4th April

Although we seem set to have some good weather coming in for the bank holiday weekend it isn't here yet and today was mostly cloudy until later in the afternoon when the sun broke through for a few short periods. Nevertheless it was enough to tempt some butterflies out and whilst pottering about in the garden I was visited by passing examples of at least one each of Orange-tip and Holly Blue. A single Green-veined White stopped briefly before it too continued on it's way.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 04.05.2018
Green-veined White - Coverdale 04.05.2018
More accommodating were the Speckled Woods, at least three different males in varying condition were seen squabbling over favoured basking spots at the bottom of the garden.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 04.05.2018
One of them looked to have had a lucky escape that proves the value of the hind wing eye spots...
This individual also tried it on with a passing female that took off next door with the male in pursuit,
Speckled Wood pair - Coverdale 04.05.2018
Speckled Wood pair - Coverdale 04.05.2018
After a minute or so he returned to his usual spot to find one of the other males there and so ensued another round of spiraling round each other.

Bye for now,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Those Specklies in your garden are going to be exhausted by Monday night, Neil, what with this warm spell set to cover the entire Bank Holiday weekend!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see the Specklies building in numbers Neil :D Interesting to see territorial behaviour :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

All is now as it should be up your way, Neil, with the Specklies back in their accustomed haunts. Good to see them. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just saw my first Speckie today Neil and had to go to Southport to see it , it didn't even open it's wings, I didn't care :D my first this year and you've got all those in your garden :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”