Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

Nice view of that helice, Trevor, and the male as well. :mrgreen: I was up at Mill Hill but ran out of time to pop down there too. Still, next week is looking pretty good after a major blip tomorrow. Interesting that the Walls have gone for a third brood in Wiltshire as well this year - pretty well unheard of I'd think. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Art Frames wrote:Trevor,

It must be inspiring to have a list of places where you can go and see such fresh and delightful butterflies and relatively late on too. I just wish Northamptonshire had similar. At the moment its all a bit depressing here. So good to see the sun is shining on someone. :D

regards
Probably a bit late now, especially with the rain heading in tonight and tomorrow, but I saw reports of a good emergence of clouded Yellows at Sywell Country Park earlier in the week. Would have gone for a look myself if I hadn't been at work.

Great shot of the helice Trevor and more cracking Wall Browns :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Neil Freeman wrote:
Probably a bit late now, especially with the rain heading in tonight and tomorrow, but I saw reports of a good emergence of clouded Yellows at Sywell Country Park earlier in the week. Would have gone for a look myself if I hadn't been at work.

Great shot of the helice Trevor and more cracking Wall Browns :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil
I have looked at the reports and only wish I had seen them sooner too! But the rain is a temporary blip, I hope. Thanks for alerting me. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Sundays not looking too bad at the moment, I can feel another trip into deepest Sussex brewing...

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Trevor - especially good news about the Walls :D Star of the show there for me though is the Helice :D Still not seen or even had a sniff of one of those :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Trevor, nothing being recorded here at present, bet you were pleased with that Helice :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden of The Bell Inn,
Great Cheverell, Wiltshire, at 11.08 this morning, just outside of my room !

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220633.JPG
P1220639.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Flipping heck Trevor I'm loving your style - 'butterflies in bed' must be almost as good a 'breakfast in bed' :D :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wonderful photos Trevor, what a bonus to have photo opportunities so close.

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden of The Bell Inn,
Great Cheverell, Wiltshire, at 11.08 this morning, just outside of my room !
Impressive, Trevor. Almost as impressive is that you were armed with your camera at the double to record this notable sighting!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Flipping heck Trevor I'm loving your style - 'butterflies in bed' must be almost as good a 'breakfast in bed' :D :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel
Still in bed at 11.08 :shock: ...I must be doing something wrong :wink: :lol:

Great photos of the HBHM Trevor :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina, Wurzel, David & Neil,

Time to set the record straight !.
I have never had breakfast in bed, and at 11.08 I had been up for four hours. :lol:
That Hummingbird Hawk Moth took me by complete surprise, given the very low air temperature.
Incredibly I had time to grab my camera, complete with close up lens, and grab about six shots.

Incidentally the plant it was feasting on is Salvia ' Hot Lips '.

Trevor.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

trevor wrote: ... in bed, at 11.08 I had been up for four hours next door to ' Hot Lips '.
We can read between the lines. Mop and bucket to room 47 please :lol:

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
trevor

Post by trevor »

Chance would be a fine thing, Peter.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Before leaving Wiltshire for home this morning I spent an hour
in St. Peter's church grounds looking for third brood Wall Browns.
Only two males were seen in near perfect conditions, confirming
that only a very small third brood has occurred there.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220641.JPG
P1220643.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great find trevor :mrgreen: - it'll be interesting to see how they fare in the spring and whether the third brood will have a positive impact on their numbers :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Once the heavy mist had cleared this morning I headed over to Mill Hill.
As I negotiated the posts at the car park entrance, a Clouded Yellow flew past.
But the morning belonged to the Red Admiral. About ten, very fresh,
Red Admirals were nectaring on the much visited Hemp Agrimony, including
one ab. Bialbata. The only other visitor, and then only briefly, was a very fresh Comma.

Back at home I had to tread wearily to avoid destroying the many Spiders webs that adorn my garden.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1220663.JPG
P1220685.JPG
P1220690.JPG
P1220706.JPG
P1220675.JPG
P1220672.JPG
P1220699.JPG
The proprietor is not at home !.
The proprietor is not at home !.
Last edited by trevor on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Somehow I missed you today, Trevor - Ben told me you were there: I arrived about 11 and didn't leave till 3. I didn't see that splendid Comma, but I did see the many Admirals and also a welcome newcomer to the hemp agrimony patch... :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I don't know how we missed each other, Dave. Checking my images the last one
was taken at 12.03, but I did not leave until about 1pm.
Hope that wasn't a Wall or Cloudie on the Hemp after I left !!. :x

millerd

Post by millerd »

I started by walking along the top and then down the steps near the other car park to the bottom of the slope and that sheltered bit. I was up at the hemp agrimony between one and two by the times the photos were taken, and then again at around half three. This explains why we didn't spot each other! :) Nope, not a Wall or a Cloudie (though a Wall wandered past and briefly sat on a bit of ragwort nearby). :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”