Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Wall Trevor :D :mrgreen: That's an interesting Meadow Brown as well - in good condition and with odd 'eyes' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to see Wall Browns again, Trevor...not to mention Small Heath, which I personally haven't seen since June! :(

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Goldie, David & Wurzel. Here's some more Cloudies, Dave.

Having read on the Sussex BC sightings page that more Clouded Yellows had appeared
since my visit on Monday, I went along for another look this morning.
A stiff, cool, westerly breeze ensured a slow start, and made photography difficult
throughout my visit. Another species that had built in numbers over the week was
the Common Blue with a good dozen fresh males, and a ' blue ' female seen.
In all about eight Clouded Yellows ( allowing for multiple counting ) were on the wing,
and unlike Monday some were fresh.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210774.JPG
P1210783.JPG
P1210767.JPG
This specimen had a distinctly greenish underside.
This specimen had a distinctly greenish underside.
P1210840.JPG
P1210892.JPG
P1210758.JPG
P1210806.JPG
P1210876.JPG
P1210858.JPG
P1210886.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Trevor - more Clouded Yellows! :D :mrgreen: And the Common Blues are pretty good as well. :) I feel a trip down to Shoreham is in order next week when the forecast looks pretty reasonable.

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Cloudy's Trevor :D :mrgreen: The third shot is brill, a really yellow Clouded Yellow :shock: :D :mrgreen: That is a late fresh Common Blue too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, lovely Cloudy shots, love the shots of the ones on the flowers :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Please send some of those Cloudies in my direction if you will, Trevor! :D :mrgreen:
Last edited by David M on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great Clouded Yellows Trevor, I saw a few in Dorset a few days ago but they wouldn't stop still for me.

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday's weather was hardly suitable for Butterfly activity, though some
longer sunny spells were enough to tempt me out of the house to have a look.
I found a spot out of the strong wind, and was rewarded with a sheltering
Holly Blue and several Speckled Woods, then extensive cloud cover put an
end to any further sightings. Hardly my finest hour !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210901.JPG
P1210909.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice to see a few Clouded Yellows have appeared, Trevor. It will be interesting if they continue into November, like last year.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've had a Holly Blue pass through my garden on and off for a few weeks now Trevor but every time I try to get a shot, off it flies :D at least you've pinned one down :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You still did well in the circumstances Trevor :D I reckon you've picked up a few 'whispering' tips from Dave :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

If in doubt...venture out! You did and were rewarded with a Holly Blue which is always very welcome.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I spent a really fabulous morning at High and Over, with the Wall Browns.
On arrival the Walls were performing on and near the steps, constantly sending
one another up and sparring in the air, on two occasions the sparring sessions
consisted of five males, which would suddenly break off only to find another
male to battle with.
I had not been on site for very long when Dave ( millerd ) came along to join in the fun !.
Together we were kept entertained by the Wall's antics, good to meet you again Dave.
If we were looking at third brood Walls, it was then surprising to find so many worn and tatty males,
along with some fresh specimens. Only one female was found, but she gave us the slip and
headed for the bottom of the hill.
Other sightings include a very old Clouded Yellow, Large and Small Whites, a Small Copper
and many Small Heaths.
With all the above action with the lively Wall Browns, counting them was near impossible,
but we thought a good ten ( if not more ) were seen.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210953.JPG
P1210961.JPG
P1210950.JPG
P1210917.JPG
P1210967.JPG
P1210938.JPG
P1210934.JPG
P1210926.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Sounds like an enjoyable morning, Trevor, lovely wall Browns. That's a great underside shot of the Wall on the fence :wink: :D

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

A very enjoyable couple of hours, Trevor! Good to catch up with you again. You were right - the butterfly on the teazel you mentioned is a cracker. :) You'll have to wait a couple of days for my slant on the Wall Brown selection I'm afraid... :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I echo Dave's (and your) thoughts about the Wall on the Teasel - a right stunner, and a cracking shot :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful, Trevor. I wonder whether Wall Browns might make it into October this year?

trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather was cool, largely grey and breezy this morning.
After lunch there was enough of an improvement in the weather to risk a local trip.
So it was High and Over again, but the breeze kept sightings to a minimum.
Of the male Wall Browns that made an appearance all were very fresh, unlike yesterday.
One sighting today that called for a quick reaction, and a lot of luck, was when a Hummingbird
Hawk Moth flew in from behind me and began nectaring, it's rapid, darting movements caused
many blurred and out of frame shots, but the camera managed to ' freeze ' the Moths body,
although the wings are nearly invisible.
One other fresh Butterfly today was a nectaring Large White.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210997.JPG
P1210982.JPG
P1210977.JPG
P1210978.JPG
P1210994.JPG
P1220002.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Definitely better-looking than yesterday's selection, Trevor, and the not-so-sunny weather helped them open out more... :mrgreen: That's a great shot of the Hummer, too. :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”