Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Copper shots Trevor :D - you're giving Hoggers a run for his money there :wink: :D The females are still looking in pretty good nick despite their long running season :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple more shots from yesterday, not from Burgess Hill,
but the roadside near Arlington. Lovely fresh Whites.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210515.JPG
P1210514.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

There seems to have been a Small White explosion near me, Trevor, yet strangely there are hardly any Large or Green Veined.

I must get round to taking a decent image of a female like the one you've posted above.

trevor

Post by trevor »

To mark the end of meteorological Summer I thought it would be appropriate
to spend the morning with the last Summer Butterfly species to emerge.
So it was off to Steyning for a final Brown Hairstreak session for this year.
Three females were found, two on the foliage, and a third on the wing.
Unfortunately, once again, large clouds blotted out the Sun for long periods,
with blue sky all around except overhead. This was probably the reason for such a low count.
Two other enthusiasts enjoyed their first ever encounter with a BH, indeed one of them
found the first specimen, later after everyone had gone I found another BH resting on Bullace.

What a Hairstreak season it has been!. :D
Trevor.
Attachments
P1210641.JPG
P1210599.JPG
P1210621.JPG
P1210581.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Trevor, they're on my first list for next year :D :mrgreen: Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a decent final burst, Trevor! You're right - I think I've seen more of all five species this year than ever before, and in a greater variety of locations too. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Trevor, especially like the open wing shot, the way she's holding her antennae gives her a somewhat quizzical look :D :mrgreen: I would love to see all 5 Hairstreaks in one year, but am I right in thinking that you got all five in one county :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor - thanks for reminding me the Brostreaks are still flying. Lovely shots too.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Trevor. Patience paid off for you, in spite of your frustrations regarding the lack of sunshine.

That situation is probably the most aggravating of all, when blue skies extend in seemingly every direction but overhead remains resolutely grey! :evil:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You really are doing well with those Brown Hairstreaks Trevor :) , the Bookham lot are really making us work for it, plus work is getting in the way once again!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Trevor,
Great BHS shots with the first one being a real beauty :D

With all the talk of all five HS in one year I would love to make do with just seeing all five full stop :D Still got to see the PHS properly, GHS, BHS and Brostreak. In fact I still need four for the set :D

Old Wolf.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks every one, as I said the Brown Hairstreak was my last Summer Butterfly.
So today I went to look for what I consider to be an Autumn species, at least that's
the time of year when I find most if not all of them ( and in good condition ).
So far this year I have not seen a single Clouded Yellow, so today I found a new
species for this season.
Once again Shoreham Harbour came up trumps, producing a minimum of three Cloudies.
None of them were very fresh, but were in good condition. All three were very frisky
in the warm sunshine, and proved a bit of a challenge, that's when this hobby could be
termed as a sport. :lol: .

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210699.JPG
P1210705.JPG
P1210691.JPG
P1210714.JPG
P1210703.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Cloudie shots, Trevor, at least they keep us fit :lol:

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

At last a few Cloudies have arrived, with you ready to intercept them, Trevor. Great shots too. :D They seem to be females - if the weather holds there could be some offspring late October... :wink:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looks like the 3 points go to Trevor :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent, Trevor. I sincerely hope a few will turn up on the south Wales coast some time soon.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely Small Coppers Trevor, great to see the Cloudy. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm glad the Clouded Yellows were enjoyed, Gentlemen, expect more !.

Today I paid an overdue visit to High and over, principally to see if any third brood Walls have appeared yet.
The answer is I couldn't find any, but I did find one remaining male from the Summer brood.
I met Badgerbob, who asked if I had found any Walls, I told him that three had been seen. But on examining
my images it looks as though I had only found one three times, in the hour or so of searching.

Other Butterflies, apart from Small Heaths, were a little thin on the ground, but I did find a very placid
female Meadow Brown, a Small Copper and about the last of the Adonis Blues still hanging on.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210717.JPG
P1210740.JPG
P1210737.JPG
P1210732.JPG
P1210729.JPG
P1210748.JPG
P1210742.JPG
P1210721.JPG
Wild Chicory.
Wild Chicory.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I was wondering whether the next round of Walls would be out at High & Over, Trevor - it was about this time last year (7th September in fact) that we met up there and saw a few fresh ones. Odd that they should be later this year than last... :? I may hold you to the promise of more Cloudies as well! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, your Wall's are much better than the one I saw yesterday at Southport :D At least I saw one :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”