Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Trevor

Post by Goldie M »

Very nice Wall's Trevor sorry about the Adonis Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I'm :mrgreen: Trevor, not seen a single Wall this year...(butterfly that is... :lol: ).

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

I finally tracked down my first Adonis Blues today, with four Males seen altogether. In the strong
sunshine they weren't for hanging about!, nor were the Wall Browns, with two's three's and more
spiralling around at high speed then separating and landing briefly. Once again the zoom on my
camera came in handy , close approach would have been impossible.
Today's images are not the best but in the circumstances i think they are worth sharing.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130126.JPG
P1130132.JPG
P1130124.JPG
P1130130.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

A return visit to the South Downs this morning, for Adonis Blues, was somewhat frustrated by
a stiff breeze. With most Butterflies sheltering right down in the grass it came as great surprise
to find a Female Adonis, my first this year,opening her wings almost for the first time.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130184.JPG
P1130185.JPG
P1130186.JPG
P1130187.JPG
P1130188.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1130208.JPG
After lunch, I thought a further visit to the old railway cutting, in Hailsham was overdue.
What a difference a few days can make at this time of year!. Gone are the Orange Tips,and no
Holly Blues seen. Some new residents have moved in, at least six Red Admirals were seen.
Some, but not all , were in good condition, I guess these might be immigrants.
The only thing that has remained constant at this site since my last visit is the number of
Speckled Woods, which were in good numbers.
Attachments
P1130209.JPG
P1130210.JPG
P1130212.JPG
P1130211.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1130263.JPG
I took a quick break from my journey this morning,stopping off at a meadow to see what was about.
To my surprise , at 8.30am and only 13c.,there were many Common Blues warming up, and some were quite
lively. Only Males were seen, and most in pristine condition. Also three Dingy Skippers put in an
appearance and were showing signs of age.
In all a very productive half an hour!.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130259.JPG
P1130261.JPG
P1130260.JPG
P1130262.JPG
P1130264.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just catching up on postings Trevor, the Adonis Blue photos look great also the Red Admiral and Common Blue shots, we'll have to wait a while for RA up here the weathers been so bad Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Good to see someone is getting Red Admiral they are conspicuous by their absence at present, at least in my patch :( Nice posts Trevor :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

With an awful weather forecast for today i did'n't venture far ( at 21.15 it has still not rained here !).
But i did find some Red Admirals, two of which posed for the camera.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130302.JPG
P1130300.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice that Red Ad's are beginning to show again.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Mike Trevor - it's great to see teh Red Admirals coming back - great shots too! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

With the 'June gap' now upon us, as far as woodland species are concerned,there wasn't much
flying today apart from two Holly Blues,a Large White and some very fresh looking Speckled Woods.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130327.JPG
P1130326.JPG
P1130325.JPG
P1130324.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Specklies Trevor, especially the final shot - you can always rely on them to see you through the lean times :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Not a bad way to get though the June gap Trevor, very nice Specklies :)

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1130397.JPG
This morning i paid a visit to Friston Forest, more particularly to an area known as the Gallops.
This is a vast area of both long and short grassland , and nearly every species one might expect
to see in such habitat was present !.

I will let the images obtained speak for themselves.

Let every session be as good as this one ! :D .
TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130401.JPG
THE SMALL COPPER ON THE RIGHT, RAPIDLY VIBRATING WINGS.
THE SMALL COPPER ON THE RIGHT, RAPIDLY VIBRATING WINGS.
MYSTERY OF THE DAY! LARGE OR SMALL SKIPPER?.
MYSTERY OF THE DAY! LARGE OR SMALL SKIPPER?.
P1130400.JPG
IMAGE OUT OF FOCUS, DIDN'T GET A SECOND CHANCE !.
IMAGE OUT OF FOCUS, DIDN'T GET A SECOND CHANCE !.
P1130396.JPG
P1130395.JPG
P1130393.JPG
P1130394.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd go for Large Skipper on the mystrey skipper Trevor :D Cracking Smalls too (Copper and Blue) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1130599.JPG
HI Everyone,
Another trip to the Gallops at Friston Forest this morning , this time arriving on site at 8am. Four very
worthwhile hours ensued, Two extra species appeared since my previous visit, a Large Skipper and
( very rare for me this year ) a Brown Argus with wings open. Small Blues were in very good numbers,
the most i have ever seen in one day.

I thought of a little rhyme to help us through the June gap......... here goes!.

WHEN THE SPRING SPECIES BEGIN TO FADE,
GO AND FIND AN OPEN GLADE :lol: .

All the best ,
TREVOR.
Attachments
P1130596.JPG
P1130607.JPG
P1130606.JPG
P1130602.JPG
P1130605.JPG
P1130604.JPG
P1130597.JPG
P1130598.JPG
P1130600.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Sorry, forgot the Brown Argus ! :oops:
Attachments
P1130603.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor - I followed your rhyme and it paid off - my first Large Skipper of the year today :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,
Never mind the first Large Skipper of the year, it's now a matter of days for first WA, SWF,DGF,Ringlet,
and of course His Majesty !.

Exciting times ahead :D ( Weather permitting ).
TREVOR.

Return to “Personal Diaries”