CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CFB

Re: CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks for your kind comments, Pauline. Everybody seems to like Provence Orange-tips. It's a pity they only appear here in the south :) .
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

David M wrote: Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen OTs in 'cop' either. :(
This couple, seen this morning, seem to be on the brink of doing it :shock: .
IMG_3042.JPG
Also seen this morning, a Western Dappled White,
IMG_3061.JPG
a Wood White,
IMG_3068.JPG
10 or 12 Spanish Festoons,
IMG_3107.JPG
and a few Glanville Fritillaries,
IMG_3115.JPG
Seen, but no photos: a couple of Brimstones, a male Clouded Yellow, a few Wall Browns, several Small Heaths, one Painted Lady, a few Berger's Clouded Yellows and five or so male Adonis Blues.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some more smashing shots Colin - I love that Western Dappled White. Re Orange Tips, it looks like the female is giving the male the classic gesture to show she's not interested, probably already having been mated. Looking forward to more :D

CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Pauline,

Thanks for clarifying the attitude of the female Orange-tip.

Best regards,
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning in the Parc de la Brague I saw my first Provence Chalkhill Blues #33 of the year, two males. This is one of them.
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG
There were a few small Heaths,
IMG_3129.JPG
and one or two Common Blues.
IMG_3166.JPG
I also saw a few Glanville Fritillaries, a Painted Lady, one Wood White, and a few Speckled Woods, Wall Browns and Orange-tips.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning, near the Vallon des Dones, I saw my first Knapweed Fritillary #34 of the year
IMG_3224.JPG
and first Grizzled Skipper #35 of the year. I also saw 2 or 3 Painted Ladies, including this somewhat damaged specimen,
IMG_3195.JPG
and about 10 Spanish Festoons, including this very worn individual.
IMG_3200.JPG
There were many Glanville Fritillaries,
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
a few Wood Whites, a few Brimstones, one Scarce Swallowtail (still no photo this year), many Wall Browns,
a few Orange-tips, several Small Heaths, many Berger's Clouded Yellows, one Red Admiral (still no photo this year),
and one Southern White Admiral.
--
Colin

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Colin your way in front of us with your Butterflies , lovely they are too , but I hope the Painted Ladies look a little better when they reach us :lol: Goldie :D

CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Goldie,
If you send me some of your Dukes of Burgundy (or should that be Duke of Burgundys or even Duke of Burgundies :? ) then I'll send you some of my Painted Ladies :) :) :) .
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

Boy, those Spanish Festoons don't age well at all!

By the way, we saw Dukes of Burgundy at Isola in the Parc du Mercantour in July of last year, so they ARE around, it's just that you need to seek a bit of altitude.

CFB

Post by CFB »

This afternoon, down by the quarry, I saw my first Brown Argus #36 of the year, a female (?). It spent most of its time chasing, or being chased by an unidentified blue.
IMG_3255.JPG
I also saw two Western Dappled Whites, a mating couple. Half an hour later they were still there.
IMG_3243.JPG
Also, one Grizzled Skipper, a couple of Meadow Browns, many Wall Browns, a couple of Small Heaths, many Speckled Woods, a few Orange-tips, a couple of Glanville Fritillaries and a Wood White.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Even though it was quite cloudy this morning there was a reasonable selection of butterflies around. One of the first seen was a Scarce Swallowtail enjoying the thyme.
IMG_3288.JPG
Another one indulging itself in the thyme was this Knapweed Fritillary.
IMG_3291.JPG
The only other Fritillaries seen were many Glanville Fritillaries, including this one.
IMG_3309.JPG
I saw several Spanish Festoons, some being rather worn, but this one was quite presentable.
IMG_3349.JPG
Other butterflies seen were a couple of Wood Whites, several Adonis Blues and Provence Chalkhill Blues flying together as usual, one Painted Lady, a few Small Heaths, several Berger's Clouded Yellows, a few Orange-tips, some Wall Browns, and a very small Speckled Wood.

There are many Owlfly Sulfurs around these days. They seem to spend most of their time chasing butterflies.
IMG_3303.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice Knapweed Fritillary, Colin, we don't have those over in Marseilles. Generally I think we have a lot less fritillaries over here than in the Var or the Alpes Maritimes.
I am seeing Provence Chalk-hill Blues over here this season, which is rare and therefore a novelty. :D
Those Owlflies are common here as well.
I would love to see festoons on a daily basis :mrgreen: .
Cheers, Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Today there has been a very strong wind, as a result of which there were very few butterflies in flight. But I did see a couple of Southern White Admirals, this being one of them.
IMG_3385.JPG
Also several Glanville Fritillaries, this one being on the road :o .
IMG_3388.JPG
Also seen were a few Adonis and Provence Chalkhill Blues, one Wood White, two Scarce Swallowtails, a Smal Heath or two, and several Wall Browns.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Not much wind today, just lots of sun :) .

There are still some Spanish Festoons in prime condition. I photographed this one twice with 40 minutes between each sighting :o .
IMG_3396.JPG
I saw two Scarce Swallowtails. This one was taking a rest from being chased by Spanish Festoons.
IMG_3420.JPG
There were a few Western Dappled Whites. I saw this one this morning but later I saw one in the garden in the company of a Knapweed Fritillary on some Red valerian (Centranthus ruber) plants.
IMG_3425.JPG
I was pleased to see this Baton Blue, as I hadn't seen one since the end of April.
IMG_3432.JPG
I also saw a Painted Lady, several Wall Browns, Glanville Fritillaries, Adonis Blues and Provence Chalkhill Blues, and a few Orange-tips, Speckled Woods and Small Heaths.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Even though it was hot this morning with very little wind, there were not many butterflies to be seen.

I did however see my first Swallowtail #37 of the year. I didn't manage any decent photos of it because it never stopped moving its wings even when feeding (?) on Aphyllanthes monspeliensis.

Another first of the year was a Blue-spot Hairstreak #38. I did get a quick photo of this before it disappeared.
IMG_3440.JPG
Also seen were one Wood White, one Southern White Admiral, two Painted Ladies, a few Speckled Woods, a few Adonis Blues, several Wall Browns and many Provence Chalkhill Blues.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

CFB wrote: ... Another first of the year was a Blue-spot Hairstreak ..... Colin
You are lucky, Colin. Today (the 17th) is my scheduled day for the arrival of Blue-spot and False Ilex, but I saw neither. However, the Curry Plant is in flower - it is their preferred nectaring plant around here. Ah well, perhaps next week end, because I don't see these at work in Vitrolles during the week.

Cheers, Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Chris,

The Curry Plant here is only just coming into flower both in the garden and in the wild. Perhaps that's why I only saw one of them (Blue-spot Hairstreak not Curry Plant :) ).
--
Colin

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely selection of Butterflies , the various colours are fantastic I love Swallow Tails, I hope to see them again this year all being well. Goldie :D

CFB

Post by CFB »

During my walk this morning along the Piste du Castelas in Roquefort les Pins I took this out-of-focus (or did I move?) photo of my first Pearly Heath #39 of the year.
IMG_3448.JPG
There wasn't much flying at all but I did see four or so Swallowtails, although it could have been the same one seen four or so times. Other butterflies seen where a few Glanville Fritillaries, Meadow Browns and Provence Chalkhill Blues, and one Speckled Wood and one male Brimstone.

Goldie, thanks for your kind comments.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I saw my first Spotted Fritillary #40 of the year. Presumably I shall soon find them all over the place.
IMG_3453.JPG
I saw a few Pearly Heaths, and this photo makes up for the poor one of yesterday.
IMG_3484.JPG
There were some of its cousins, the Small Heaths, as well.
IMG_3471.JPG
And similarly I saw Glanville Fritillaries
IMG_3486.JPG
and their cousins the Knapweed Fritillaries. At least I assume this is a Knapweed Fritillaries, even though it seems to have fewer black markings than others I have seen.
IMG_3492.JPG
There were more Provence Chalkhill Blues than anything else, also their cousins the Adonis Blues, one Spanish Festoon and several Wall Browns.

I also encountered this female Pheasant with her chick. Unfortunately I didn't manage to photograph the baby :( .
IMG_3458.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”