Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: hideandseek

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thankyou for your kind comment Chris,very much appreciated :D
All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Chiddingfold Wood, 7-8th July 2012, continued.
7.7.2012 C.W. 057_1.jpg
7.7.2012 C.W. 405_1.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Chiddingfold Wood, 7-8th July 2012, continued.
8.7.2012 C.W. 034_1.jpg

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Really nice underside shot of the DGF. I've never seen one sit still long enough to get a shot like that!

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks for your kind comment dilettante, i know what you mean about them not sitting still long enough to get a photo they are normally trying to break the air speed record. I was just lucky to have disturbed this male from the depths of some long grass on the side of a track on a day when it was`nt warm enough for them to be flying. It stuck around for nearly 2 1/2 hours, just flitting from one plant to another every now and again, and just sitting there and if it got warm enough, which did`nt happen often, he would open his wings. He is another photo of the same individual on a Hazel leaf having just sat through a shower.
7.7.2012 C.W. 232 D.G.F. male.jpg
Thanks again, all the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

hideandseek wrote:I was just lucky to have disturbed this male from the depths of some long grass on the side of a track on a day when it was`nt warm enough for them to be fly.
Therein lies the secret!! Early morning on a warm day or go on a cool, overcast day with only the odd burst of sunlight.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

You got that right David.

Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

Really jealous of those DGFs! It needs more than going in cool conditions, it needs a huge amount of luck too! Were those shots taken in the 'meadow' area? I disturbed a DGF from there in cold, blustery conditions (probably the same weekend) and it flew to the top of a pine tree about 30 ft up!

These large fritillaries (Dark Green and Silver-washed at least, never seen High Brown) never show their underwings - they seem to be able to fly in weather that would ground most butterflies. I've seen Silver-washed shivering in cold, cloudy weather with its wings flat open still at least twice.

I do have a new 300 f4 lens now, so I'm going to try that on the DGFs next year. Macros seem to be hopeless for this species.

David M

Post by David M »

Mildheart wrote:These large fritillaries (Dark Green and Silver-washed at least, never seen High Brown) never show their underwings - they seem to be able to fly in weather that would ground most butterflies. I've seen Silver-washed shivering in cold, cloudy weather with its wings flat open still at least twice.
If they're holding their wings open then it's because there's some warmth to be had. Try flushing one really early in the morning or moving in when the temperature dips below 14c and the sun goes in.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mildheart,
Glad you like my pictures.It did`nt take a lot of luck to get these photos, but a lot of time in the field doing my homework, like the good pupil i am :D The photos were taken nearby, but not in the meadow. I`m sure we might of spoken. The D.G.F. you disturbed, which then flew up to the top of the Pine Tree, thats typical behaviour of a female, i have witnessed it myself on many occasions, and the photo of a female still eludes me,for the time being anyway, [apart from one that i managed to photo in the act of copulation].
All the best, Nick.

Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

That's interesting about the behaviour of females. Actually it was the week after I was at Chiddingfold so we might not have spoken. One wonders if this is possibly the same butterfly, a week older and showing quite well in the meadow but with signs of a bird attack. I'll be back to try again next year but I live a good hours' drive away, so I don't know how early I can get there in the morning!

Clive
Attachments
IMG_4999.jpg

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I really love the DGF with its wings closed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :) :)

Debbie

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick,

Some really good DGF photos of a nice fresh looking specimen.

Interesting to read your comments about females going up into the trees. I was at Arnside for a couple of days and noticed both Dark Green and High Brown Fritillaries coming down from high up in trees when the sun came out.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Clive, i was there sunday 15th, and if my memory serves me correctly you were the one photographing two DGF males in the meadow, one in good condition and one with a damaged wing [could have been someone else]. I believe i was photographing a very fresh Gatekeeper. When i got my pictures of the DGF on Sat 7th it was between 11am-1-15pm. On the sunday 8th, between 12-30 and 2-15pm. So it does depend on the weather, the weather being rather poor that weekend.
All the best, Nick.
Thank you for your kind comment Debbie, and i hope you are feeling a lot better now.
All the best, Nick.
Hi Neil, thank you for your kind comment. I have seen many females fly high up into the trees, but not males,i have found both male and females deep down in the grass when it is to cold to fly, as i did at Denbies on Monday finding five DGF bedded down in the grass, at least three of them were females not 100% about the other two.
All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Kithurst Hill 29 July 2012
29.7.2012 kithurst hill 013.jpg
29.7.2012 kithurst hill 020.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Kithurst Hill, 29 July 2012 continued
This was my third visit to this site this year, and i was quite disappointed with the lack of butterflies flying, no 2nd brood Small Blues to be found, no 2nd brood Brown Argus as yet. The Chalkhill Blues had already become tatty, and trying to find one in good condition was hard. This time last year it was a little haven. Very little else was seen, just the odd Meadow Brown, one or two Gatekeepers and a few Marbled Whites where still hanging on. This first photo of a male Chalkhill Blue showing orange markings towards the edge of the hindwings is the first one i have observed.
29.7.2012 kithurst hill 098_1.jpg
29.7.2012 kithurst hill 031.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Denbies, 30 July 2012
30.7.2012 denbies 218 chalkhill blues mating.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Denbies, 4 August 2012
I arrived at this beautiful site at 7.20am, the clouds were heavy and low over the hillside, but off i went anyway. My goal was to find and photograph The beautiful Silver-Spotted Skipper, one of my favourite butterflies, but one that i have always failed to get a decent picture off. I started off with a few photos of some roosting Chalkhill Blues even though the light this early in the morning was very poor. Within a few minutes the heavens opened up, and afther chatting to a lady walking her dog, who wished me good luck in my pursuit in getting the photo i was after, i was forced back to my car. Half an hour later i was back on the hill looking for roosting SSS, but to no avail. But there were so many Chalkhill Blues, some very fresh, and even one male that had just emerged with his wings all twisted and bent, was still drying out. So i was kept busy, snapping away with my camera capturing the moment and the beauty of these butterflies for ever. The time flew by and still no SSS, then i saw one then another flying low to the ground like a out off control helicopter. but still no photo. So i thought i would go and find Susie and her party to say hello, i had only taken a few dozen steps when i met P.J. Underwood, his friend and their wives, then ChrisC came along, then last but not least, Susie, Lee Hurrell and Philzoid appeared. It was lovely to see you all again, and ChrisC for the first time. We all went back to where i had just left in the hunt for SSS. I spent a very enjoyable conclusion to my trip here with my fellow UK Butterflyers, and they also changed my luck, regarding getting a couple of nice shots of the SSS, so thank you for that, and thank you for your great company, and a great day.
4.8.2012 denbies 385 silver-spotted skipper.jpg
4.8.2012 denbies 320 silver-spotted skipper, male.jpg
I will post some more photos when i can. Thank you all again for a great day. All the best, Nick.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Nick,

Just catching up as I've been away ...

I really like your DGF shots from Chiddingfold Forest, especially as I know how much time and effort you dedicate to getting your pictures. I also really like the female CHB from Kithurst Hill; one of my favourite locations.

Hope to see you soon.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Susie

Post by Susie »

It was great to see you yesterday, Nick. Your SSS photos are lovely, I especially like the first one. :D I hope you had a good evening too.

Return to “Personal Diaries”