June 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
jhanlon

Re: June 2009 Sightings

Post by jhanlon »

almost forgot, was also planning on catching the last wood whites out tomorrow as they've been around in double figs this week. Does anyone know where I can go in Salcey Forest or Yardley Chase that would offer the best chance?
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Purple Emperors have been on the wing at Southwater Woods during the week, 5 or 6 I beleive a couple of days ago. The forecast for Sunday on the south coast looks reasonable.

I visited Alice Holt Forest in Hampshire where 3 Purple Emperors were around the usual trees at Goose Green Inclosure, 5 there yesterday aparently. Straits Inclosure had one yesterday but none today though there were bucket loads of Silver-washed Fritillaries, White Admirals, Ringlets and Meadow Browns along with a few Red Admirals and several 'whites'.

I managed a record flight shot of one of the Emperors.
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary Alice Holt Forest 270609 WEB 020.jpg
Purple Emperor Alice Holt Forest 270609 WEB 119.jpg
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

To day at Chobhom Heath lots of Silver studded blues and small skippers. few large skippers also around.

Sezar
Attachments
Silver studded blue 4.jpg
Silver studded blue 2.jpg
small skipper 1.jpg
Small skipper.jpg
Silver studded blue 1.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Southwater Woods again on top form today. I saw ten individual Purple Emperors in different areas of the complex, with two males on the deck. One evaded the open wing 'purple shot', as it was sitting on my calf! The number of aberrations here this year is quite incredible. I saw my fifth White Admiral obliterae (all different specimens) and a much more extreme ocellata Silver-washed Fritillary than the one I've seen over the last few days. I'm leading a walk to see Purple Emperors at Botany Bay near Plaistow tomorrow at 9am if anyone's in the area (details on BC Sussex website).
Neil
P1090518_edited-1.jpg
PEUKB1_edited-1.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

White admirals, meadow browns and silver-washed fritillaries were the order of the day at Walters Copse Newtown IOW today including a mating pair of SWFs.
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3675.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3669.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3659.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3647.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3628.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3589.jpg
eccles

Post by eccles »

Pete Eeles wrote:
eccles wrote:Jerry found a couple of small blue though near the bottom of the slope opposite the roadside gate.
Really? That would be very unusual at this time of year! If they were Small Blue, they must have been well-worn!

Cheers,

- Pete
Yep, a bit worn but still very feisty. This male chased off a ringlet!
Attachments
DSC08562.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

Went to Buxton Heath Norfolk this morning for SSB. Thanks to Angie for directions :D ; exactly where you said they would be...and they were reasonably well-behaved since it remained overcast most of the time. (Didn't make taking pictures any easier - had to use higher ISO's and lower f-stops to achieve an acceptable speed). Cute little things!
SSB_f_x2_2 low_BH_27_06_2009.jpg
SSB_f_1_low_BH_27_06_2009.jpg
SSB_m_3_low_BH_27_06_2009.jpg
SSB_m_U_1_low_BH_27_06_2009.jpg
...good work by everyone this month in this thread :)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

sahikmet wrote:
To day at Chobhom Heath lots of Silver studded blues and small skippers. few large skippers also around.

Sezar

Watch out SSB ~ a spider lurks .... your days could be numbered.... :(

In my favourite local wood a few years back, a Pearl Bordered Fritillary having its life juices sucked out of it by a Pink Crab Spider on a flower ~ the eight legged creature was quite pretty although the picture was a little upsetting for this butterfly enthusiast.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
markhows

Post by markhows »

Thursley - Silver Studded Blue, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, large white

Oaken Woods - Purple Emperor, silver washed fritillary, white admiral, comma, marbeled white, ringlet, large skipper, small skipper, red admiral, meadow brown, large white

Not a bad day out

Mark
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Took the Parents out to Bentley today, for there first taste of Butterflying. I think they were suitably impressed, if they weren't, then they bleeding well should of been. For not only did we see 14 species, amongst them were a sparkling brand new Painted Lady, 2 Valesina form Silver-washed Fritillary, and a obliterae form White Admiral ( I think :?: ).
sorry about the quality of the pics, I was just happy snapping with the 100-400 today. Cheers Gruditch
PL 2009.jpg
Valesina 2009.jpg
White Ad Ab.jpg
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
Very good season up here in South East Scotland...at the moment Grayling, Dark Green Fritillary, Meadow Brown and Ringlet are about as well as Large Skipper, Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary and brand new Small Tortoiseshells.....Common Blue and Small Heath having a tremendous year as are Small Blue ( still flying) and Northern Brown Argus, Small Copper fairly normal year..Painted Lady are probably not as strong here as 2006...Red Admiral are still posted missing...only 2 so far this year..an all time low. Large White and Green Veined White as well as Small White have done well compared to previous years...and Peacock expected soonish.....Speckled Wood has been seen locally, and Wall Brown have made a huge surge north this year, especially coastal. Sightings of Brimstones are getting closer to my area as are Holly Blue. Orange Tip seem to have finally given up the ghost..still flying last week...none seen since. Currently looking for Small Skipper and Large Heath...Large Heath at least should be airborne.

Cheers IAC.
Attachments
A shiny new Small Tort.
A shiny new Small Tort.
Common Blue trying to dry out.
Common Blue trying to dry out.
Grayling on the Berwickshire coast at Burnmouth.
Grayling on the Berwickshire coast at Burnmouth.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Benfleet Downs South Essex approx six different WL Hairstreaks (wear/damage enabled distinguishing individuals) around bramble at TQ785857 1245 to 1345 hours. Very co-operative for the camera.
WLHairstreak2.jpg
WLHairstreak.jpg
Marbled Whites by the score plus all the other suspects.

I had trouble locating parking spot but eventually found good spot at extreme eastern end of St.Mary’s Road just beyond end of tarmac (TQ784858)

Jack
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Sunday lunch for a Green-Veined White and Large White caterpillars.
DSC05430 (Small).JPG
DSC05419 (Small).JPG
Amended the small for a Large White :) I'm happy to get one right.
Shirley
Last edited by Shirley Roulston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Found this beauty today, a drinker moth male. Never saw this species before, so it was a first for me:
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

It is a beauty Dave.
Shirley
romansnumber7

Post by romansnumber7 »

Very poor image but wanted to confirm the ID and that is is a High Brown.
Attachments
ID required please.
ID required please.
eccles

Post by eccles »

A couple of the outer ocelli can be seen on the underside, so it looks a good ID to me.
romansnumber7

Post by romansnumber7 »

Thanks very much for confirming that, i can now return to the same location with some degree of confidence and hope to get a good image. :)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi all,
Southwater Woods again on top form today. I saw ten individual Purple Emperors in different areas of the complex, with two males on the deck. One evaded the open wing 'purple shot', as it was sitting on my calf! The number of aberrations here this year is quite incredible. I saw my fifth White Admiral obliterae (all different specimens) and a much more extreme ocellata Silver-washed Fritillary than the one I've seen over the last few days. I'm leading a walk to see Purple Emperors at Botany Bay near Plaistow tomorrow at 9am if anyone's in the area (details on BC Sussex website).
Neil
P1090518_edited-1.jpg
PEUKB1_edited-1.jpg
Nice one Neil. Would it be OK to use the aberration image on the main species pages?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

eccles wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:
eccles wrote:Jerry found a couple of small blue though near the bottom of the slope opposite the roadside gate.
Really? That would be very unusual at this time of year! If they were Small Blue, they must have been well-worn!

Cheers,

- Pete
Yep, a bit worn but still very feisty. This male chased off a ringlet!
Thanks for the confirmation Mike - definitely Small Blue!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Sightings”