millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: millerd

Post by Goldie M »

You've got every thing there I've not seen yet :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lovely!! Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Not only a great selection of Holly Blue photos from your local patch Dave but I don't think I have ever seen so many poses with wings spread that far open before. Great stuff :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Like everyone else, I’m amazed by the numbers of Holly Blues you consistently get down there. You clearly have a bit of a hot spot on your patch. I’m only the other side of London from you, yet I have only seen two so far. One behind my home, and one in Regents Park!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

CallumMac wrote:Fabulous series of the Holly Blues! Like Art Frames, this is a species that I rarely see more than a couple of times a year. But what a stunner!

Given that numbers of Holly Blue can fluctuate so wildly from year to year, I'd be interested to know if those kind of numbers are normal at your patch, or does this look like being one of the good years?
It's not for nothing that he's known as the 'Holly Blue Whisperer' in these parts. Like EssexBuzzard I only live the other side of London but never see numbers like Dave. My gut feeling is the heat island effect of being so close to Heathrow Airport has a lot to do with it. So far this year I've seen 3, all at work in central London.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

You've done remarkably well to get such great images of skittish species like the Whites and Holly Blues, Dave. Even though the weather has been cool, these butterflies remain hyperactive in my part of the world.

I'm pleased to say that, like you, I'm seeing lots of Holly Blues again. This is two years on the run so enjoy them as the inevitable crash will likely follow soon. :(

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Some beautiful open wing views Dave, Blue Heaven indeed. :mrgreen: The Speckled's are very nice as well. :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you Wurzel - more GVW coming up. One secret is to go out early before the sun has properly energised them all. :)

Thank you, Art. The GH patch at Denbies is a good one, and as for my local Holly Blues... 20+ is not unusual at peak times. :)

Thanks to you all as well, Callum, Janet, Goldie, Neil, Essex, Buggy, David and Andrew. These numbers of Holly Blues really are not unusual in the spring, and the summer brood can be equally good. It just seems to be a favourable location. I have yet to experience a poor season for them, but I imagine at some point their parasite will gain the upper hand. Certainly the regular third brood in October/November has no adverse effect on numbers either. :)

After nearly a week of cold, cloud and rain, either at home or up in Yorkshire (especially yesterday!) the day dawned blue today (1st May). It was pretty chilly to start with, but I set out round my local patch just after 9 and was soon seeing butterflies. Early on, most were keen on nectaring or just basking to warm up, and the GVW were particularly obliging.
GVW1 010518.JPG
GVW2 010518.JPG
GVW5 010518.JPG
GVW6 010518.JPG
Most whites turned out to be this species, but there were one or two Small ones and a few Large Whites too.
SW1 010518.JPG
The Orange Tips were also very amenable to start with, and in the end, good numbers were seen.
OT1 010518.JPG
OT4 010518.JPG
This included a single female.
OT3 010518.JPG
I saw the first Brimstones for a while, one of each sex, plus a Peacock, three Speckled Woods and four Commas.
SpW1 010518.JPG
Comma1 010518.JPG
However, most numerous again were the Holly Blues, with over 20 seen in various spots all along the walk. Today, the many patrolling and perching males included a few females. It also appears the weather has battered a few of them, but there were still some fresh ones.
HB2 010518.JPG
HB3 010518.JPG
HB4 010518.JPG
HB6 010518.JPG
HB5 010518.JPG
HB1 010518.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Unfortunately some of us are in work whilst the butterflies are warming up Dave :mrgreen: More great shots especially that really smoky first Green-veined White, lush :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I can only echo what Wurzel says. I was off yesterday, when it was wet and freezing cold. I’m off again tomorrow and, guess what? It’s going to rain again. Maybe someone upstairs doesn’t like me...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done Dave, 7ou're two ahead of me.
As yet no female Holly Blues, or Orange Tip females, still searching !.

Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Holly Blues Dave :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They're late coming out here has are the Speckies, may be next week if the forecast for then is right. Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Oops, sorry Wurzel and Essex for unconsciously rubbing in the retirement thing... :( :) . I've lost count of the days in the past when lovely sunny mornings have given way to cloud by lunchtime and I had to give up the idea of seeing anything much. Being out there before nine now is such a bonus. Still, it doesn't help on days like today with heavy rain all day so far. Never mind, it all gets better tomorrow and the next ten days or so seem really promising. 25 degrees forecast here on Bank Holiday Monday... unlikely as it may seem.

The HB females on my patch are particularly behind the males this year, Trevor - I would hope there are quite a few left to emerge. And OT females have been very thin on the ground too. A couple of years ago I'd seen three before seeing a male.

Thank you again, Goldie. Next week, you should be seeing lots more Holly Blues and Specklies - and who knows what else? :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Love those Holly Blues again, Dave. You seem to live in a prime spot for them. I'm also interested to know you're still seeing Commas. They disappeared from my neck of the woods nearly a fortnight ago yet Peacocks have been increasing in numbers! :?

Who can ever get into the logic behind butterflies' lives?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, David. I hadn't actually seen a Comma for a while, so they were very welcome. Last year the last of the hibernators overlapped with the first of the new hutchinsoni individuals in June so the old guard should be around for a little while yet. I think it takes a while for all to come out of hibernation. Definitely a prime spot for those Holly Blues - judging by numbers, you seem to have a hotspot near you too! :)

Wednesday 2nd May: The sun didn't properly appear until after four, and even then there were interruptions for heavy showers. I only got as far as the nearest part of my local patch, pretty well within sight of home, but the sunshine had sparked several white butterflies into life, including a couple of Orange Tips. Nectaring, basking and roosting seemed to be on the agenda, and consequently there was some good posing and accessible subjects.
SW1 020518.JPG
GVW1 020518.JPG
A couple of Holly Blues had also sprung into action, and one was found nectaring on the inevitable dandelion.
HB1 020518.JPG
I also saw a couple of Speckled Woods, but that was it - five species only. I wasn't out for long though and didn't venture far. However, the stars of the day were the Orange Tips.
OT3 020518.JPG
OT6 020518.JPG
OT8 020517.JPG
OT9 020518.JPG
OT2 020518.JPG
OT5 020518.JPG
Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful orange-tip photos. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, superb Orange Tip images, Dave.
The second soaking this week did not clear here quite so early.
But on Tuesday morning with a temperature of 8 to 12c, the Orange Tips
were warm enough to fly, but not warm enough to patrol non-stop.
This provided, by OT standards, some easy basking shots.

Hope to find something interesting today !,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Dave :wink: My time will come...eventually :? :lol: I can only echo what others have said - those are fabulous Orange-tips shots :D :mrgreen: Your first Small White is cracking as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots all round Dave, but fantastic open wing GVW's.
I'm still in awe of your local patch. :shock: :D

Cheers

millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks, all. :) The conditions were perfect for approaching basking Orange Tips - constant hot sunshine is really not for them, so a late afternoon burst after a generally cloudy day worked beautifully. I see there is more hot sun in the forecast for the weekend, with 25 - 27 degrees expected round here again on Sunday/Monday... :o

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A lovely selection of Holly Blue images there Dave. I don't think I've ever seen more than about a dozen in one outing and that was at Shipton Bellinger a few years back now. You've captured the colours and sheen perfectly.

Return to “Personal Diaries”