Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Wurzel

Post by David M »

You may have felt 'scuppered', Wurzel, but you got a cracking underside image of that Speckled Wood. Excellent stuff!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

David M wrote:You may have felt 'scuppered', Wurzel, but you got a cracking underside image of that Speckled Wood. Excellent stuff!
:D :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots once again Wurzel, the weather's been great lately hope you've got more to show us Goldie :D

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,

Thank you for your replies and I will look into how to activate my personal email?! :?

Still lots flying around and I am trying to work out how to swing via Sussex to scout for LTB's!

Flutter on!

CJB

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David :D I was happy with that one :D
Cheers Trevor :D
Cheers Goldie :D There are a few more posts in the bag :wink:
Cheers CJB :D As soon as you've got it sorted PM me and I can send the details on :D

October 2015
Oct.jpg
Just one, please :(

The Devenish 29-08-2015

With the season to fast disappearing and the end of the holiday just a long weekend away I wanted to cram in a few more visits before the drudgery of an excessive workload once again ruins my existence. As I’d done all the jobs I found that I had a few hours to spare, not enough for another foray to Shipton but after yesterday that seemed futile anyway and so instead I bombed across the city to The Devenish.

I checked the ‘Old Stump’ first and after finding an all black bee I watched fascinated as a wasp landed, unsheathed an ovipositor longer than she was and then proceeded to insert it into the stump. A second one joined me in watching the first. Though mesmerised by this I became increasingly ware of a persistent humming that would occasionally crescendo. Taking a few steps over to the large Holly Tree I discovered the culprit(s) – an open Hornet nest. They would arrive in waves like fighter jet squadrons hence the intermittent crescendos. I didn’t know if this was a new nest or an established one which had been ransacked by a predator so I retreated in case it was the later and they were upset.
118 - Copy.JPG
124 - Copy.JPG
Cutting across to the Orchid Meadow there were a couple of Specklies and in the meadow itself I saw a single Chalkhill and two male Common Blues the second of which was so small I had to do a double take in case it was a bright Small Blue.
129 - Copy.JPG
The nectar source on the Bramble at the foot of the Down was spent and the berries hadn’t yet ripened so this was devoid of butterflies. It wasn’t until I was on the Downside proper that I started finding them again. I started skirting the bottom of the Down amongst the vegetation at the wood margin. Here was a Peacock, Brown Argus, a few Meadow Browns and finally a couple of Chakhills. One was lacking almost all of its underside spots and was a particularly attractive aberrant. Whilst watching this I stumbled onto another couple of males and flashes of electric blue told me that there were also some second brood Adonis Blues. Further along this row of plants a Red Admiral looked resplendent and there were also Green-veined Whites and a second Peacock. From here I climbed up to the top and checked the flower rich flatter areas on the Down top. Despite the shelter and plenty of rich nectar sources there were surprisingly few butterflies with only a strangely out of place Specklie and a handful of Meadow Browns. A second Red Admiral cut through the air near the Beech wood but I didn’t see the hoped for Cloudy.
141 - Copy.JPG
156 - Copy.JPG
189 - Copy.JPG
193 - Copy.JPG
214 - Copy.JPG
229 - Copy.JPG
I then spent some time walking the rabbit run terraces seeking out Adonis and Chalkhills in the hope that I could catch them sitting out the cloud and so allowing me to get in close. I managed to find females of both species and both made me wait a considerable amount of time before they deigned to reveal their upper wing surfaces. This seems in stark contrast to the males which were much easier to spot as they seemed to land and open their wings wide basking in the sun. It was interesting to see how the light affected their appearance. The male Chalkhills would go from pale blue to a slatey light grey whereas the Adonis would change from bright vivid electric blue, almost artificial looking to a powdered sky blue as the light levels dropped. This really became apparent when I managed to photograph two males next to each other but in different orientations so I could witness the differences all at once.
237 - Copy.JPG
243 - Copy.JPG
253 - Copy.JPG
256 - Copy.JPG
272 - Copy.JPG
295 - Copy.JPG
298 - Copy.JPG
309 - Copy.JPG
The Orchid field didn’t add much more to the days tally and before I knew it I’d climbed over the penultimate fence before the car. As I’d now gotten my other shots I risked creeping closer to the Hornet’s nest. It was tricky getting shots as there would be a lull and then a squadron would return entering the hive and disappearing from view. About a minute later the next squadron would leave. After a couple of changes two or three Hornets started flying in ever tighter circles around the tree so I think my presence had been detected hence I retreated back to the car and headed home.
345 - Copy.JPG
348 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's a striking Chalkhill, Wurzel. It almost reminds me of Glandon Blue undersides.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Adonis Wurzel, I missed out on those this year, I hope you get your Clouded Yellow before the season ends, with the weather being so good lately I think you'll be lucky Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

More great reports and photos Wurzel, that Chalkhill ab. is a cracker.

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I looked Glandon Blue up on 'tinternet' and I see what you mean :D
Cheers Goldie :D Still no Cloudy for me and time is ticking ever inwards :?
Cheers Neil - I was well happy with that one :D

Larkhill 01-09-2015

This post should really have been titled “Back to Work Blues” as today was probably the worst day of the year, the start of the new term. Luckily it was a TD day so it was slightly more bearable. On the way to work it felt a bit too cool for butterflies but I did stop by the Stonehenge bus depot as the in the field opposite the two Great Bustards were back. At Larkhill itself it was all very quiet and in the limited time available I couldn’t locate any roosting, dew bedecked butterflies.
009 - Copy.JPG
022 - Copy.JPG
024 - Copy.JPG
During the stop-off on the way home it was a different story entirely. I started down the Eastbound path and right at the start by the stand of Golden Rod a Small White fluttered over the yellow tops and a slightly worn male Common Blue landed in the grass. Slightly further down I tried to follow a White or a while but it nipped in amongst the young Hawthorns. I nipped in myself and this opened up new possibilities as I usually stick to the paths but these sheltered little nooks held more butterflies with five Meadow Browns and a pair of Hedge Browns as well as the afore mentioned white.
032 - Copy.JPG
038 - Copy.JPG
My next stop along the path was more open, the Hawthorns being replaced by tall, blonde grasses. was here that I tarried for the remaining time of my stop-off as there were several Common Blues and two belligerent Brown Argus, who I wouldn’t have been as frustrated by if I’d had more time. You see each time I knelt to take a shot, focused and was about to click one or both would reel in and cause my subject to dart off. In the end I waited until they shot off on one of their ‘flights of chaos’ before stooping in to get shots of any remaining butterflies that hadn’t been bothered by the BAs :shock: :roll: .
047 - Copy.JPG
054 - Copy.JPG
02-09-2015 Larkhill

AM
Another day another stop-off looks like I’m back into the routine already. The Bustards were there again this morning but I couldn’t stop this morning as I had an Audi up my arse the whole way. I headed straight along the Eastbound path and it was really quiet as I walked about 75 metres down, in fact I didn’t see a single butterfly so I turned around to walk back t the car and there glinting like a bolt from the blue was my first ever Larkhill Adonis sitting perfectly on a grass stem. With its wings held wide open it presented me with a great opportunity to add another species to my ‘Stained Glass’ collection as well as allowing me to get in really close.
057 - Copy.JPG
081 - Copy.JPG
086 - Copy.JPG
091 - Copy.JPG
Chuffed I carried on back to the car and now there were Common Blues and Brown Argus everywhere that I looked. I couldn’t fathom it as on the way down the path nothing; now 2 or three here, another clump over there, a couple here etc. Perhaps it was because of the angle they were orientated at placing them in the shade as I walked down the path but on the return journey with the sun behind me they practically glowed from amongst the glass.
111 - Copy.JPG
115 - Copy.JPG
121 - Copy.JPG
135 - Copy.JPG
In the end I ended up with a count of a single Adonis Blue, 2 Brown Argus and 12 Common Blues.

PM
During my afternoon stop off I expected to find a collection of Blues, flying freely along the edge of the path after the number that I’d seen roosting this morning. But started the familiar walk down the Eastbound path I saw only a Small Tortoiseshell and that was at the Golden Rod. Further along a few Meadow Browns flew up from the grass and I found a pair in cop but I didn’t see a single Blue? A wonder if they’ll be back tomorrow morning?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely selection of Blues there, Wurzel. Where has that last month gone? :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

:D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely selection of Blues Wurzel, where has the summer gone :roll: :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Adonis Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and your other shots are beautiful Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Bustards Wurzel, I've never seen a true wild one. Its great to have these magnificent birds back in our countryside :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

bugboy wrote:Nice Bustards Wurzel, I've never seen a true wild one. Its great to have these magnificent birds back in our countryside
Definitely! You'll have to show me them when I'm next over your way :)

Lovely pictures of the Adonis Blues warming up in the morning sun .... best way to see them I reckon :) .

Hornets are fearsome looking but less aggressive than other wasps ...... until you get near their nest :shock: Did you use a phone camera on the end of a stick? :wink: Great shots :D

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D The last month disappeared into the void that is 'work' :(
Cheers Trevor :D
Cheers Mike :D I was hoping for a bit of an indian summer but no joy :(
Cheers Goldie :D I was well chuffed with the Adonis :D
Cheers Bugboy :D Hopefully the one without the tag (not number 15) was a true Wiltshire Bustard :D
Cheers Philzoid :D I'll try and get you a few Bustards next time you're over :D . I got to within about three feet of the nest but didn't hang around too long... :?

Larkhill 03-09-3015

I pulled in this morning hoping to find the blues from yesterday morning which were absent during my afternoon meeting but things didn’t look good. The light was poor and there was a fine coating of dew across the grass and latterly on my trousers. I wandered down the path looking every which way for butterflies and occasionally kneeling down and scanning from different angle. This was a trick that I picked up yesterday and it paid off as on first look there weren’t any butterflies, kneel down and look from a different angle and there was one!
173 - Copy.JPG
In this way I racked up two more Common Blues bringing my total to three and it felt like I was walking forward through time as each subsequent blue I found seemed more aged and battered. It didn’t get any better on the way back when I found a Meadow Brown and a different Common Blue, the most aged of the lot!
Older
Older
Older still
Older still
198 - Copy.JPG
Ancient!
Ancient!
And so onto work! I wasn’t able to stop on the way home as I had to attend a meeting so I had to wait to the following day to further test out my new technique.

Larkhill 04-09-2015

Another day and another stop-off at Larkhill, as long as I keep seeing butterflies I’ll keep on stopping. This morning it seemed cooler and darker than previously and I struggled to find butterflies at first despite using the techniques that I’ve developed over the last couple of days. Eventually though it did pay off and as I continued down the Eastbound path I started finding a few clinging on. First was an aged Common Blue standing proud on the top of a flower and this was quickly followed by a pair of Meadow Browns in cop. I did a double take of these as they appeared to be in a very similar position to the pair yesterday. However the way they sitting low in the grass and holding their wings at different angles meant getting a shot was nigh in impossible as t last half of the couple would be out of focus.
005 - Copy-001.JPG
I then got onto two more blues and a Brown Argus in a single small group bringing the tally to 3 Common Blues, 2 Meadow Browns and a single Brown Argus cling to a stick – I’m sure there’s a tune which would fit this?
016 - Copy-001.JPG
023 - Copy-001.JPG
During my afternoon stop all the blues were again strangely absent, I suppose they were off doing what they needed to do and during eh morning I’m catching them before they’ve gotten out of bed as it were. I checked briefly down the Eastbound path an then up the Northbound path but the only butterfly I saw was on the Golden Rod and it was a Green-veined White looking mighty fine.
031 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Just been getting to grips with the epic-ness of your diary again Wurzel. I don't know how you find enough time to do so much! I feel knackered just looking at it. If you're using any good 'over the counter' stimulants please would you kindly PM me the details :wink: thanks.

Too many things to comment on so I'll just say it's all great.

I trust you have enough to keep us all entertained until Christmas. :D

All the best

Rex

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I like the colour of the Blues, they look cool like the morning air you describe ( turning them a little more Blue ) :lol:
Lovely shots, I still hope you get your Cloudy, the weathers hope fully going to stay dry they say for this next week. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Rex for your very kind comments :D - I took them to heart and so had almost a week off :shock: The trick is to consume as much coffee as possible during the day and then have a strong beer ready to send you to bed in the evening :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D I think I may have left it too late now for a Cloudy now :? Still maybe next season...

Laverstock 07-09-2015

The weather held all day and onto into the evening with the sun shining gloriously and at times the heat was decidedly noticeable. K was ensconced in her tutors, there were Slow Worms under the mats and I was walking the Down with a full day over and done life was pretty great at this moment. As I walked through the gate I started seeing butterflies, mainly Small Heaths at first but they were soon joined by Meadow Browns. I took the lower path and followed it round checking every white on the way in case it had a Yellow companion or it was a Yellow in disguise. My hoping didn’t pay off and the whites I was seeing were mainly Small Whites.
028 - Copy.JPG
033 - Copy.JPG
Once I reached the taller vegetation at the Chalkhill/DGF area I still kept an eye on the Whites but now my attention switched to the Blues. I’d already seen a couple on the way but each time I approached Small Heaths would spook them and so it was now as each Adonis or Chalkhill I stalked would eventually move to a nice pose I’d line up the shot and then a Small Heath would nip out and there would be no shot. In fact they were decidedly twitchy and wouldn’t settle even for photos on their own.
My White vigil meant that I started moving up the Down so that I could scan across the slopes and so cover more ground in my limited time. There were plenty of Meadow Browns around surprisingly fresh looking some were and they were intermingled with the occasional Chalkhill and Adonis, both of which also had very fresh representatives. One male Adonis was particularly attractive and I managed to crawl along the ground and focus in from below so the blue sky filled the back drop.
057 - Copy.JPG
074 - Copy.JPG
083 - Copy.JPG
090 - Copy.JPG
096 - Copy.JPG
I then worked my way back down the hill, hung around in the taller vegetation for a bit finding some more representatives of the same set of species and then made my way back to pick up K. Still no Cloudy but you never know what’s round the corner.
105 - Copy.JPG
112 - Copy.JPG
113 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

millerd

Post by millerd »

I like your "Blue against blue" shot there, Wurzel - it just shows the brilliance of an Adonis can hold its own against the sky. :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”