Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just a Quick post for me for now, I'm in the middle of making our tea but I just must post. :D
Today was cloudy until about 3.30pm and then the Sun arrived and so did my first GVW of this year in my back garden :lol:
So I just had to post this shots :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_9122.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9131.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_912d.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That plant certainly brings them all in, doesn't it Goldie? ..... and you forgot to show me how to take cuttings!!!! :( :wink:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Aah! The trusty Bowles Mauve! I bought some more myself last month but I haven't recorded any visitors yet. Maybe this weekend?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great when that happens Goldie - nothing and then as soon as the sun comes out so to do the butterflies :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a real butterfly magnet, Goldie! round here it's the dandelions that do the trick... not so attractive. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everyone for your posts,
Hi! Pauline, I thought I'd told you, :roll: just take a small shoot from the plant, get a small pot and place the shoot in the pot with compost, better to do it September, because you don't need to water it too much in Winter that's usually when I take all my cuttings, all should go well!!!!! :D
You should get plenty of visitors David shortly :D
Hi! Wurzel, your right it's it's great :D I even got a Female Orange Tip today :D
Dandelions Dave, not in your Garden I hope!!!!!! :lol:

Today we went to Southport Butterflies were every where but not landing so when I saw this Speckie land in front of me I was well chuffed although it didn't open it's wings I managed a shot before it flew off, I can call it my 10th species now having picked up one or two whilst in Kent. I also got a shot of another Peacock which landed and opened it's wings just has I took the shot :D

When we got home ( it was about 3pm ) we'd set off early morning to miss the traffic and having not got shots of too many Butterflies I couldn't wait to get back to the Garden to see if any thing else had visited, that's when I spotted this small white Butterfly which turned out to be a Female OT, great, and actually in my Garden :lol: I tried to take quick shots has the Butterfly never seemed to stop long enough on any of the Rock flowers for a truly good shot :D
(I usually keep a few things in pots to replenish any gaps etc.) Anyway it turned out to be a decent day after all.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0556.jpg
fullsizeoutput_918e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_918c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9190.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_918d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9178.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9187.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9192.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Love the action shots of the female OT. My camera would struggle with that one.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Trevor, I deleted quite a few has well that were unprintable :lol: Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Good to see you're enjoying sunshine too. Our garden is full of Holly Blues and Orange Tips but I've not seen any female OTs yet. I admire your in-flight shots, especially your 3rd one showing the underside as she approaches the flower. Let's hope for more fine weather to encourage more sightings over the next few days.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Goldie :mrgreen: , nicely caught flight shots my mate Ronniethepoo would be chuffed with those :D Good luck with your outings this weekend :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie, I can feel your joy. Those are lovely, evocative images of the female OT going about her daily business. Let’s hope for a few more opportunities with this species before they fade away and disappear again later this month.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great sequence of shots of the female Orange-tip in flight Goldie :D

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everyone for your posts, they're much appreciated :D Sadly my Husband has not been too well so plans for trips at present are on hold but we've got the rest of May to go yet and hope fully we'll get there eventually. :D

I decided yesterday to pop a cross to my local haunt, it's only two Avenues a way so not much effort needed, :D I decided to go after seeing a Holly Blue fly a round the Garden and out again, ( once again I waited for it to land and it didn't, if I didn't know better I'd swear it was the same one from previous years :lol: )
When I arrived at HLB it felt like a different place from the one I'd visited just a few days before, OT's were flying by me, LW's/,SW's,GVW, Speckies, and HB's but it seemed not one was landing , until I saw deep in the Green Leaves two GVW's mating,
these two were much smaller than the one I'd seen previously in my garden and quite out standingly Green veined :D
I carried on along the path hoping some thing would land but the Speckies were keeping to the tree's and the Whites were too busy looking for partners, then I rounded a corner and a speck of Blue was in in a muddy patch left by the rain , I expected it to fly a way but it stayed there and I was able to get some shots of my first Holly Blue of the year. :D
When I returned home and relaxed in the Garden I was treated to bird song and the sight of my Cherry tree heavy with Blossom,
May! what a fantastic month :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_923e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_923f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9239.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9237.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9229.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_923b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9230.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9232.jpeg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Brilliant shot of the GVW mating Goldie :mrgreen: Re OT in garden - I have one of those plants in my garden and OT's have laid eggs on it in the past so keep your eyes open. Naturally, I don't know what it is :roll: but doesn't it look similar to the cuckoo flower which they frequently lay eggs on? Thanks for tip on cuttings - it was the seed collecting we talked about last time. I doubt you'll make a gardener out of me but I'll give it a try! Get well soon to Jim.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Pauline, you should do okay with the plants, it's pretty easy really , soil in pot, put your finger in the soil, make an hole, stick the cutting in, water it, bingo :lol:
I'll keep my eye's on that plant from now on but that FOT was not settling for too long on the plant but buzzing a round it all the time, ( sounds more like a Bee doesn't it :lol: ) Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

A very nice little Holly Blue, Goldie. :) Once they are down on a patch of damp ground like that, they keep coming back - except for the odd bit of perching nearby for a rest. If you're lucky and the weather is cooler than it was today, they then open up to warm up. They are attracted to white things as well, like the first shot of yours sitting on a pebble. I hope you see many more.

Good shot of the GVW too! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta shots of the Green-veined Whites in cop Goldie :D And a mud puddling Holly Blue too :mrgreen: I hope your husband gets well soon...so you can get out butterflying :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave and Wurzel, I waited ages with that Holly Blue to see if it would open it's wings but it just wouldn't :D I was pleased to see the GVW's though after seeing nothing at HLB for such a long time. :D

Well Wurzel, I got a real surprise yesterday morning, I was up and about at 6.30am looking at the Sunshine and thinking there'll be other days to go out and about, when my Husband got up a couple of hour's later saying he felt much better and was ready to go out if I wanted to. :D
We set off for the Lakes an hour later heading for Foulshaw Moss, picnic basket on hand :D We picked the Moss because the Ospreys are nesting there and once you've parked your car there's a boardwalk which means very little walking except in a circle a round the Moss. ( It's the same place I went to last year for the Large Heath) and with Jim not having been too well, Ideal!!

I was looking for Green Hair Streaks and any thing else interesting. I must mention the traffic, we set off fairly early and we still hit traffic, not too bad we kept moving but I believe it was backed up nearly all morning on the M6 later.
I got my next surprise when I saw the Hair Streaks , we passed the tree's where I thought they'd be and went onto the open Moss to see the Osprey and there amongst the Moss's mud and water were loads of Hair Streaks, flying from the Mud to small tree sprigs and back again :D they were also on the board walk :lol:
We walked round and saw lots of OT's, Peacock, and White's and a little Moth I took some shots of, also an Adder which there was quite a lot of but we just saw the one ( that was enough for me) :lol: and a tiny Lizard. When I returned home it was to find a Large White in the Back Garden :D
So my day turned out to be great after all Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0721.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9299.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9287.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9298.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_928d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9296.jpeg
IMG_0647.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9290.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_92a5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_92a3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_92a1.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice one Goldie :D Your husband sounds like a proper Trooper 8) Great shots of the Adder and Greenstreaks, your last two show the aberration 'punctata' as the white spots carry on over the forewings :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for that Wurzel, the last two shots are of the same Butterfly, the Sun caught the wings has the Butterfly moved, they were hard to get shots because you can't leave the Board walk and this one just landed but people were passing all the time and I'd to ask them to wait while I took it, most had come to see the Ospreys through the telescope there. most of the other HS's were well into the Moss. I don't like having to ask them to wait but needs must some times :D At least I saw an ab and Jim is much better and ready to go into is garage working again, ( it's his man cave) :lol: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”