Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,

A thorough search of the grave stones revealed no Walls.
However checking last years images, they were taken in August.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I must have missed you somehow at Chiddingfold on Tuesday, Trevor! I was admiring the Wood Whites there from 0930 to 1230. There was a valesina amongst all the SWF in the little clearing as well (though it didn't hang around very long!). A report will follow in about a week's time... :)

Incidentally, I can't charm Purple Hairstreaks the way you seem to, so Wurzel will have to try another theory. Eau de Tuna, perhaps? Great shots, by the way. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see second brood Wood Whites, Trevor. That's not a common occurrence in the UK.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave & David. The Wood Whites are always a joy to see, and once I was amongst
them it was difficult to comprehend that this population is the only one for miles around.
Especially as I was viewing 4, 5 and 6 individuals fluttering around in the grass together.
Anoyingly most chose to land in the most difficult places for photography.

I wouldn't dream of enticing Purple Hairsreaks with my Tuna brew, Dave, it would
most likely send them higher up in the Oaks, out of sight !.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Great to see second brood Wood Whites, Trevor. That's not a common occurrence in the UK.
I think it's pretty normal down in the southern woodlands David, certainly these days. Indeed the second brood can be significantly more numerous than the spring brood.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

As rain stopped play today ( Yes we've had light rain all day ! ), I though I would
take another look at the Purple Emperor ab. from 27th June.
The lighting conditions were poor, very bright, harsh sunshine and dark shade
and the Butterfly was in partial shade.
I don't usually play around with images, apart from cropping, but I have brightened
up the ab. shots for better detail, and included one not seen before.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1170707.JPG
P1170709.JPG
P1170731.JPG
P1170745.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:
David M wrote:Great to see second brood Wood Whites, Trevor. That's not a common occurrence in the UK.
I think it's pretty normal down in the southern woodlands David, certainly these days. Indeed the second brood can be significantly more numerous than the spring brood.
Yes, I believe that second brood is normal down south and the past few years have seen regular second broods in the midlands too.

That Purple Emperor ab. is well worth another look Trevor :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I concur with the others about the Wood Whites 2nd brood.
I also totally agree with Neil about revisiting the the aberrant Purple Emperor :D Stunning still! :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

It is not correct to use woodlands in the plural for the Wood Whites.
As far as I know they are still confined to the Chiddingfold forest complex.
Parts of the forest are identified by name, eg. Tugley wood, Botany Bay, Oaken wood etc.
This may give the impression that the Wood Whites are more widely scattered than they actually are.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, great to see that ab. again. A splendid creature, Trevor. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely Wood Whites Trevor. Love the ab, and the whole Chiddingfold experience. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your comments.
This morning I went over to Knepp. No sooner had I arrived when a Purple Hairstreak
flew down from an Oak and landed low down on a nearby Sallow.
Later on in the morning I met Simon Withers, a true Emperor enthusiast, we last met
when the Emperors were at their best about a month ago.
The last thing I expected to see today was a Purple Emperor, but as Simon and myself
chatted we became aware of a large Empress flying nearby. This very worn, tired old Lady
gave us a very fine, but slightly feeble by Emperor standards, flying display.
Swooping high and low and around us, she occasionally disappeared into the Sallows
then returned to us and touched down several times, finally posing nicely in a Sallow.

A very memorable morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1180587.JPG
P1180580.JPG
P1180561.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That Empress is a great unexpected sighting, Trevor. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice Empress Trevor :D :mrgreen: You're getting as bad as Dave Miller Trevor, he always 'smuggles' in a Holly Blue but for you it's Purple Hairstreaks :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, great you saw an Empress and she doesn't look too worn, I wouldn't care about that if I spotted one :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Very early this morning I made the long trek up to Windover hill, to beat the heat.
Fortunately the early morning mist and a breeze made the climb as pleasant as possible.
The main reason for the visit was to see the Graylings, more on those later.
There were many distractions on the way to the Grayling's hillside, including Chalk Hill Blues
in their thousands, male Wall Browns, Small Coppers, Common Blues, a single Small Blue, and
a few Silver Spotted Skippers. Mental indigestion was gaurunteed !.

I have also included a view from half way up Windover of the early morning mist.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1180592.JPG
P1180620.JPG
P1180681.JPG
P1180690.JPG
P1180627.JPG
P1180615.JPG
P1180610.JPG
P1180698.JPG
Female Chalk Hill
Female Chalk Hill

trevor

Post by trevor »

Eventually, after so much of interest on the way, I found myself on the hillside where
the Graylings are usually found. I followed the narrow grass path just below the cut back Gorse
at the top of the valley. Unfortunately the Sun was directly in front of me, making searching difficult.
Just as I was about to retrace my steps, with the Sun now behind me, a pair of Graylings took off and
disappeared off into the distance, later the same thing happened again further along the path.
In all I saw ten Graylings, the other six posing for the camera. For the first time ever at this site
I managed several images with no grass blades in the way.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1180663.JPG
P1180658.JPG
P1180656.JPG
P1180654.JPG
P1180650.JPG
P1180645.JPG
P1180642.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful shot of the view and well done for finding the Graylings!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images from this and the last post Trevor of the late summer fare :D :mrgreen: That penultimate Grayling shot could almost be a Banded Grayling the white stripe is so bold :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Not many species left to emerge and give us renewed motivation, Trevor!!

Beautiful camouflage on those Graylings (as ever). One day I need to spend several hours amongst them to truly appreciate them.

Return to “Personal Diaries”