Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks every one, it's great to finally see some Butterflies and be able to take some shots :D

Today we waited until after lunch before we ventured forth because of the high cloud, I'm so glad we did and that we decided on Clowes Wood again where I saw the Red Admiral's before, we didn't see them again but my luck was in with the Brimstones five seen, but we left about 2.30pm, it seems all the walking has knocked me back a bit and after walking about a mile ( there and back) I was glad to get back for Coffee and cake :lol: ( Age is certainly telling this year :roll: ) So no Comma's but hope fully I'll see them next week when I get back :D

We did see this moth I've not seen before, it was rather weathered and I've not looked it up yet or looked to see if any ones put one up in a post before,I thought at first it was a Grizzled Skipper because it was so dark, until it landed and I saw it's unusual colour, I know one of you will know what it is has soon as you see it. It's nearly time to be getting ready for setting off North on Sunday, just a pity this weather didn't come a bit sooner. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Well done with the Brimstones, Goldie :D they weren't stopping today for us!

Mike

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Nice Brimstone Goldie. :D I think the moth is an orange underwing.

Gary

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gary's right it is an Orange Underwing Archiearis sp although there are two very similar species A. parthenias & A. notha. They feed on different trees so if only one of those are present you can have a safe stab at knowing which one: parthenias feeds on Birches and notha feeds on Aspen :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Glad to see you are seeing some butterflies down there, great Brimstone shots, I haven't seen one stop still yet :D

Gary is right, your moth is an Orange Underwing...a great find, they are day flyers but usually fly up high around the treetops.

Edit: looks like bugboy beat me to it with more info :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, I saw it fly down in front of us and was pleased when it landed so I could get a shot, I'd never seen one before so that's another for the list :D Not a Grizzled Skipper though :(

Thanks Bugboy, I've looked at my photos of Moths and I see I've got one called Yellow Under Wing, I suppose it's from the same Group :?: Didn't take much notice of the Tree's , only the fact they were very tall. :roll:

Thanks Mike, quite a few flew past us , then two Landed on the Dandelions so my luck was in :D

Thanks Gary, looks like you were spot on with the naming :D Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I was going to jump in and say that this is one of those moths that, if you guessed the name, you'd probably get it right :lol:

Then I looked on the web and saw, as Bugboy pointed out, that there are two similar species! So, I thought I'd hold back in case a real expert could say which it was :)

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with the Brimstone, Goldie - I've seen quite a few round here now, but not one has stopped for a second! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I don't know too much about Moths and has for the tree's, I was too busy looking for Butterflies to notice which was which :roll:
When we're down here again in the Summer ( hope fully ) I'll go to Clowes Wood again I'm sure they'll be loads of Butterflies and I'll take a note of the near by trees :D
Hi! Dave, in the part of the woods we were in there wasn't too many flowers on the grass verges, just an odd Dandelion until we reached nearly to the car park after walking a mile then turning around to walk back again, we'd seen Brimstone fly by not stopping, Irony is, if we'd stayed near the car park there was a large patch of the Dandies and that's where the Butterflies were landing and where I finally got a shot :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Goldie - you've been busy with the butterflies :D Great shots of the Peacock and Brimstones :D Hopefully we'll start getting more good butterfly days than bad now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you've dusted the cobwebs away, Goldie. I'm sure those Brimstones provided you with a great deal of pleasure.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel and David, you were right about the Butterflies and warmer days Wurzel today was lovely, hot Sun no Breeze, I couldn't wait to get the washing out of the way and get over to Hall-Lee-Brook. :D
That's right David and today was even better :D

I went to HLB and didn't get properly through the gate when a Comma flew passed me, it landed onto a stalk which was rather awkward so I couldn't get a really good shot , more of an outline really but I'll claim it as a shot :lol: Further round the walk I spotted two more Small Tort's, I thought they were the same sex until they suddenly flew to the ground and I watched has the rather weathered Male touched the Female with his antenna, she never opened her wings at that point but after a while decided to.

I saw two more ST's after that in different area's all feeding on Dandelions but no more Comma's.

When we got home I went to check the clothes on the line in my back Garden and was surprised to find a Small Tort on my Grape Hyacinth 's then it flew onto the Daffodils, then onto a garden Hyacinth , it was great to see it and it felt like old times had arrived again because over the last couple of years I've missed the Small Tort's in the Garden in Spring :D It feels good for the summer but I think the Butterflies will be much later this year :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8d5b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d58.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d57.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d48.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d49.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d4c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8d4e.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Spring has finally reached you, Goldie. Lovely shots. :D .
Dandelions seem to be a favourite with ex. hibernating Small Torts.

Glad you've had some decent weather,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad my weather premonitions came good Goldie :wink: :lol: Great set of shots especially the Comma :D Good to see some Small Tort action as they seemed down in numbers during the autumn of 2017 :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well done Goldie. Tomorrow afternoon's not looking to bad for me, fingers crossed I end up with a similar looking haul :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see you having Tortoiseshells too, Goldie. The North had the sunshine today! I don't think I've ever seen one perched on a daffodil before. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely Torts Goldie :D On a variety of flowers as well, great stuff. :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hi Goldie, just catching up with you. Love your Brimstones - and great to have them land! :D You are several days ahead of me and further north too. Lovely pics of the Small Torts :) :)
Janet

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everybody, yesterday was great, today we're back with the cold winds and rain, unbelievable when you think I was sat outside watching that little Tort flying from flower to flower :roll: At least we got a taste of things to come :D

Yesterday I got a shot of the lady Blackbird building her nest, I've only to look at the shot and it makes me laugh :lol: being has the weather's bad today I thought I'd share it :D Also at Hall-Lee-Brook this little bird was watching us and gave us a song, I thought it was a Wren but you know me and Birds :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Wren Goldie (you getting good at this bird IDing malarky :D )...hopefully you'll be back to butterfly photography soon :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”