Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Good luck whilst down in Kent, Goldie. So long as you get a short break in the weather, I'm sure you'll see some butterflies. Quite a few UKB members have had sightings today in the south east so fingers crossed!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Yes good luck Goldie. :D I had my first sighting, a Comma, yesterday. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, David and Andrew, I did take advantage of the Sun yesterday , we went to Blean Woods and I thought our place ( HLB ) was desolate but Blean Woods looked liked a Bomb had hit it UGH! trees that had been felled were heaped here and there and the only bit of green came form the Holly bushes, no flowers except for one spot where the bushes looked like they were gold in the the desolation :roll:
My daughter said a lot of clearing had been going on so that added to the look I think, the worst part was driving our car in, at East Blean Woods when you turn in your practically in the car park, at Blean you've to drive a good 800metres into the Woods before you get to the car park and this road was full of huge pot holes and I mean huge :? So if any one's planning to visit there be careful. :o

We saw no Butterflies at all in there, however on our way back we saw our first butterfly sighting, a Brimstone flying in the hedges :D that made my day :D but i'd promised to go into Canterbury in the afternoon so i'll have to be patient and hope the weather returns to normal later in the week, at least i've seen one and I'm glad everyones getting some sightings now. :D
I did spot this Moth tucked up into the corner of the door way when I got back, sorry if the shot is slightly blurred but I had a wrestle with my Daughters welcoming back Dog who is quite huge :lol: I've not named the Moth by the way. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8cd4.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you've gotten off the mark Goldie :D Your moth looks kind of similar to an Oak Beauty on Neil's recent post - if it's not that then it probably in the same group as an Oak Beauty :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just looked at Neil's Moths and I think your right Wurzel, the Moth is still there in the same place, it was raining last night so I suppose it'll wait for better weather at night.
No Butterflies seen today too wet and not enough Sun when things dried up, rain forecast for tomorrow but at least we won't get the Beast again :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Your moth is indeed an Oak Beauty...well spotted :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, noted and named :D

Yesterday morning before the rain arrived ( which it did at about 3pm ) we took the dog for a long walk in" Clowes Wood" the Sun was warm although there was a cool breeze . Dried leafs were blowing every where off the the tree's so it wasn't easy spotting any thing on the wing until this flash of red caught our eye and a Red Admiral landed on some dried leafs near to us, my first shot of a Butterfly this year :D We saw two on our walk but only managed a shot of one, It looks like we won't get any more shots if the weather people are right. At least i've made a start :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9999.jpg
IMG_9981.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see that you got of the mark Goldie and two butterflies as well :D Keep your camera with you from now on as any break in the cloud/rain could mean a sighting :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the Red Admiral, Goldie. I still haven't seen one so far this year. Looks like it might be a while before I next get the opportunity as well. :(

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Well done with the Red Admiral shots, Goldie :D Looking at the weather forecast it may be a while before conditions will be favourable for any more sightings.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Wurzel, David and Mike, Happy Easter! like we expected yesterday was okay here in the morning we even managed a walk in Blean woods but the paths were flooded every where and what we managed to do was a marvel really :D
In the afternoon it rained again on and off so we settled in for the afternoon and sent for Chinese later that night :D
Forecast today, Dry, will we see any Sun :roll: hope so . Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

How long are you down here for, Goldie? After Monday’s rain, the temperature should increase a little so if there is any sunshine, you should be in luck.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, we've decided to stay here until this coming weekend, it's even milder today and hope fully later in the week we'll see some thing . :D

Yesterday although the weather was dry it was cloudy all day, we took the dog to Betteshanger CP , it's near Sandwich, no Butterflies, it was too cold really and with the cloud no chance, it's a great place for a walk though and if you like cycling they hire bikes and have good hard paths for them , a plus is the fact these cycle paths run a long side the nature paths which criss cross each other at certain points, we'll definitely go back there if the weather takes up, it should be good there for Butterflies
plenty of fresh flower buds etc and shelter from the wind.( Also a very good dog friendly cafe) :lol: Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Well done on your RA sighting Goldie. :D
I fell foul of the flooding on Saturday, when the path I was on was blocked by a newly formed river!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Well done with the Red Admiral Goldie :D

I have still never seen a Red Admiral around here before June and I don't reckon this year will change that.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your posts Andrew and Neil, hope you were okay Andrew, and didn't get too wet :roll:

It's been a real boring Winter and Spring so far, may be thats not the right words for it but people I speak to are fed up with the weather now. one things for sure, you can't control the weather so you've to make the best of it if when you can, I thought coming here we'd certainly see Butterflies, I have, just two :roll: At least I got a shot of an Admiral :D

Neil I think we were very lucky to see that Admiral amidst all the flying leaves :D

Today was warm sunshine but a really strong wind here, we went to Reculver to the place I'd seen the Holly Blues last year , it's a very sheltered lane so I was hopeful I'd see some thing but still nothing here, still it's supposed to be a better day tomorrow so fingers crossed :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At last! my second Butterfly :D We went to Dover today we saw nothing there but the weather was great but cool, I say nothing Butterfly wise but I did get a shot of the Ponies :D
Then we went back to Betteshanger where I'd seen all the blossom at the weekend and there sure enough I saw my first Peacocks of the year :D a total of six in all, some had wear and tear others were in good condition, it felt great just watching them soaring about, none landed on the Blossom but at least I got the ground shots. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Goldie! That's something else you've achieved that I haven't so far this year - getting a picture of a Peacock!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great Peacock shots, Goldie, and that was a nice Red Admiral last week too - I haven't seen one yet in 2018.

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful, well done Goldie. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”