Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Wurzel »

As Bugboy and David said Neil you've really caught the sheen on the Small Blue superbly, an stonker of a shot :D :mrgreen: You seem to have almost overtaken me now as I only saw my first Common Blue yesterday and you've found not only a female but a mating pair as well - they don't hang about round your way :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Honestly Neil, I turn my back for a minute (well, a few days) :wink: and you're posting more fabulous images. :D I love those Green Hairstreaks from the 10th, especially the first one :mrgreen: , the Brimstones are great too, as is that wonderful shot of the Small Blue that others have commented on. I have never been able to capture the sheen like that on a SB :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Apologies for the delayed response but thank you all for the great comments. That particular Small Blue with the 'sheen' looked like he had only just emerged earlier that day :D

Some recent garden moths

Last week was pretty grotty weatherwise with heavy cloud and frequent rain, some of it quite heavy, and a generally cool feel. At least the cloudy nights gave some good conditions for putting the moth trap out in the garden, particularly the night of Tuesday 16th when overnight temperatures didn't drop below 15c here. Consequently I saw some nice moths come to the trap although numbers dropped again when the nights turned clear and cold again during the second half of the week.
Iron Prominent - Coverdale 16.05.2017
Iron Prominent - Coverdale 16.05.2017
I was chuffed to get my first Hawk Moth of the year.
Poplar Hawk - Coverdale 18.05.2017
Poplar Hawk - Coverdale 18.05.2017
Seraphim - Coverdale 16.05.2017
Seraphim - Coverdale 16.05.2017
Spruce Carpet - Coverdale 16.05.2017
Spruce Carpet - Coverdale 16.05.2017
I have mentioned before in my diary how variable some of the these moths can be which has given me a new appreciation of variation within species and leads to some time spent on confirming IDs. A good example is the darker looking May Highflyer below which had me scratching my head a bit at first.
May Highflyer - Coverdale 16.05.2017
Most of the ones I see of this species look more like this although no two are exactly the same,
Micro species coming to the trap are on the increase now, many of which I have been spending some time trying to ID. A couple of the more colourful and therefore easier ones are shown below. It is a pity these are not larger as they would be truly stunning insects if they were easier to see.
Ancylis badiana - Coverdale 15.05.2017
Ancylis badiana - Coverdale 15.05.2017
Pseudargyrotoza conwagana - 16.05.2017
Pseudargyrotoza conwagana - 16.05.2017
All the recent rain has set things growing like crazy in my garden so I need to spend a bit of time on it now. Oh well!, I suppose it needed it.

Bye for now,

Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 21st May.

Well, there is only so much time you can spend in the garden.
Sunday afternoon was rather cloudy but with the air temperature around 17 degrees I decided to pop out for a look around my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull. Having seen Common Blues at Bishops Hill last weekend I was keen to see if they were out around here yet although going by previous years they tend to appear at my local spots a week or two later than at Bishops Hill which is a warmer limestone site. On top of that we have just had a cool and wet week which I figured might have put the brakes on their emergence a bit.
I was also keen to look for Small Coppers and Small Heath here, two species that have had a couple of bad years locally.

Arriving at the site and wandering down the usual path I almost immediately spotted a small orangy-brown butterfly which proved to be a Small Heath, closely followed by a couple more in the same patch of long grass. I counted seven individuals in this spot but failed to find any more in the other spots where I can usually find them. Hopefully, another visit in a week or so will turn up a few more.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Carrying on along the paths I came across a tired looking Peacock and a Small Tortoiseshell that wasn't looking too bad considering how long it has been since it would have first emerged last summer.
Peacock - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Peacock - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
A few Orange-tips were still flying, mostly looking past their best now, along with half a dozen Green-veined Whites in varying condition.
Orange-tip with Longhorn Moth, probably Adela reaumurella
Orange-tip with Longhorn Moth, probably Adela reaumurella
Green-veined White - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Green-veined White - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
As well as the butterflies I also saw a number of day flying moths including a single Cinnabar and a few each of Mother Shipton, Burnet Companion and Silver-ground Carpet. The latter species is not really a day flyer but is easily disturbed by day when it will often be seen in areas of long grass. There were also plenty of Micro Moths of various species, some of which I unintentionally included in my photos.
Mother Shipton and a couple of unidentified micros
Mother Shipton and a couple of unidentified micros
Burnet Companion - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Burnet Companion - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Silver-ground Carpet - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Silver-ground Carpet - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Cinnabar - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Cinnabar - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
A nice little Micro, possibly Aethes smeathmanniana
A nice little Micro, possibly Aethes smeathmanniana
After having a good wander about I was heading back towards the car when I spotted a Small Copper basking on the ground in front of me, a nice fresh out of the box female. This was the butterfly of the day for me as I have never managed to find a first brood Small Copper at this site and in fact I only managed to find a couple of local examples all season last year.
Small Copper - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
I watched her for a while as she made her way along the edge of the path, pausing frequently to bask in the cloudy but warm conditions.
In the end I failed to find any Common Blues here this time but like I said at the beginning I thought it might be a long shot...maybe next weekend.

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely Small Copper, Neil. :) And your Small Tortoiseshell is an ab. (ichnusoides?), lacking the two small black spots on the forewing. I saw one once as a child about 50 years ago, but not since: they look really odd! Nice find... :) :mrgreen:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Dave, cracking Small Tort ab Neil :mrgreen: That Copper is lovely and vivid too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

As others have commented, Neil, that last Small Copper is beautiful.

In addition, to get any Small Tortoiseshell image at this time of year is an achievement, but an unusual aberrant such as that one above is highly noteworthy.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Dave for spotting the lack of spots on that Small Tortoiseshell :D ...I thought that something looked a little 'off' with it at the time but I was so chuffed with the Small Copper that I must admit I didn't pay it much attention afterwards :oops:

Wurzel and David, thanks too for your comments :D

Tuesday 23rd May.

A cracking couple of days...or they would have been if I didn't have to spend them indoors at work. At least the milder nights have brought some new moths out in the garden although there has been a bit of a breeze picking up at times.
Curiously, apart from a couple of Shuttle-shaped Darts and Heart & Darts, the moths coming to the trap over the past few nights have all been Geometers and micros although this has meant a good variety of colour.
Common Marbled Carpet - one of many colour forms of this species.
Common Marbled Carpet - one of many colour forms of this species.
Yellow-barred Brindle - I know it looks green but this is a fresh one and they fade to a more yellowish colour.
Yellow-barred Brindle - I know it looks green but this is a fresh one and they fade to a more yellowish colour.
Flame Carpet.
Flame Carpet.
Green Carpet.
Green Carpet.
May Highflyer - another colour form of this variable species. See also the two in my previous post.
May Highflyer - another colour form of this variable species. See also the two in my previous post.
Brimstone - I never get tired of that colour
Brimstone - I never get tired of that colour
I was pleased with the photo below of a Seraphim that shows the curious folds on the hindwings that males of this species have and which almost look like an extra pair of vestigial wings. I got this shot by gently blowing on the moth from behind to move its wings forward...more often than not this makes the moth take off but occasionally they stay put.
Seraphim - showing folds in hind wings.
Seraphim - showing folds in hind wings.
Bye for now,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great Tortoiseshell ab. looks like Aglais ichnusa from Corsica and Sardinia. :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Buggy, I googled Aglias ichnusa as I was previously unaware of this species. It seems there is some debate whether it is a species in its own right or a subspecies of urticae. Interesting stuff.

A few more recent Moths.

The warm(hot) sunny days continued last week and although the nights were clear, the temperatures remained up in the low to mid teens which meant that there were plenty of moths flying. This brought my garden tally so far this year up to 53 species of macros and 29 micros that I have managed to identify, with photos of a few more micros still to confirm.
Buff Ermine - Coverdale 23.05.2017
Buff Ermine - Coverdale 23.05.2017
White Ermine - Coverdale 26.05.2017
White Ermine - Coverdale 26.05.2017
Grey/Dark Dagger - Coverdale 26.05.2016
Grey/Dark Dagger - Coverdale 26.05.2016
Cinnabar - more often seen by day, they also fly at night.
Cinnabar - more often seen by day, they also fly at night.
Knot Grass - Coverdale 26.05.2017
Knot Grass - Coverdale 26.05.2017
Maidens Blush - I love the name of this species
Maidens Blush - I love the name of this species
Poplar Hawk - been trying to get a shot that shows the hindwing red patches, this is the best I have managed so far.
Poplar Hawk - been trying to get a shot that shows the hindwing red patches, this is the best I have managed so far.
Saturday 27th May

I suppose it had to happen...after a few glorious days while I was at work, Saturday arrives, on a bank holiday weekend no less, and the weather goes downhill. After some overnight rain, most of the day here was dull and overcast with some drizzle in the air on the afternoon. Before that happened however, there were a couple of brief sunny spells in the morning, just long enough for a couple of fresh looking Specklies to take to the air.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 27.05.2017
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 27.05.2017
Not sure whether this one is really fresh or it got a bit damp in the overnight rain.
Not sure whether this one is really fresh or it got a bit damp in the overnight rain.
The forecast for Sunday was looking a bit more promising and as I mentioned in my report from last weekend I was hoping to have another look for local Common Blues.

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I can see how the Maiden's Blush got its name, Neil - very apt. It's a beautifully marked species. :) Your Specklie does seem to have got itself wet in the rain as it looks otherwise quite fresh.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Moth photos Neil, we saw a cinnabar Moth in the Dunes at Southport , it was too quick for shots :D Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Freeman wrote:Hi Buggy, I googled Aglias ichnusa as I was previously unaware of this species. It seems there is some debate whether it is a species in its own right or a subspecies of urticae. Interesting stuff.Neil.
Yes in all my old books it's listed as a race or subspecies. That age-old question of when a form/race/subspecies is distinct enough to be classed as a species. In cases like these it can be rather subjective I think. I'm not sure if genetic studies have made the distinction any clearer.

You're doing well with the moths, I love the Maidens Blush

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Dave, there seems to have been a flush of new fresh Specklies around here over the past few days :D

Thanks Goldie, Cinnabar Moths can also have a habit of settling low down in the grass so getting a photo is still tricky even when you see where they settle.

Cheers Buggy, I often feel that nature is far more fluid than we sometimes give it credit for...all these sub-species, forms, variations and abs are not so easily pigeonholed as we would like them to be. It is our human condition that wants to clearly label everything into its assigned place but nature isn't quite so organised.

Sunday 28th May

Three O'clock on a Bank Holiday Monday afternoon and it is lashing down with rain here. Oh well!, it has given me chance to catch up on a few things, including keeping up to date with this post.

As I mentioned previously, I was keen to check out my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull again this week in order to see if Common Blues were on the wing there yet, having failed to find any on my visit last weekend.

My son Chris had said he was popping in on Sunday so I hung on until he arrived and we both headed off to Castle Hills on what had turned into a pleasant afternoon with plenty of high thin cloud and some good spells of warm sun.
It wasn't long before we found some male Common Blues in the usual spots and over the next hour and a half or so we saw a dozen or more scattered about the site.
Common Blue - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
I was pleased to find a few more Small Heath there this week in a few other spots than where I found some last week.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
We also spotted a couple of brighter orange little blurs that resolved themselves into a couple of sparring male Large Skippers, my first this year, and we saw another half a dozen or so during our wandering around, all fresh males.
Large Skipper - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
A male Small Copper that looked like he had been around for a while was vigorously defending his spot in one corner which I was pleased to see, as I mentioned last week, I hadn't found a first brood Small Copper at this spot until I saw the nice female here last week.
Small Copper - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
Small Copper - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
Other butterflies seen were Half a dozen or so fresh looking Speckled Wood, a few Green-veined Whites and a surprisingly fresh looking male Orange-tip that slowly flew past us on his patrol.

Fingers crossed now for the weather for the rest of the week, Jane and myself are heading down to Cornwall tomorrow morning for a few days in a B&B on the Lizard :D

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of posts recently Neil, you seem to have caught up with us up there now, in fact you seem to be pulling ahead as I haven't seen a Large Skipper yet :mrgreen: I know what you mean about the weather - usual pattern - great during the week and then come the bank holiday rubbish :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:... I know what you mean about the weather - usual pattern - great during the week and then come the bank holiday rubbish :( ...

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel...Yes indeed!, Bank Holiday Monday here was shocking :(
Sorry about the delayed response...I have been down in Cornwall for a few days, at least the weather bucked up for the rest of the week :D

But before then...a quick catch up on some garden moths.

Monday 29th May

Although the Bank Holiday Monday here was wet and miserable all day, the previous night had been warm with hardly any wind which had resulted in my best night so far with the garden moth trap and the wet day had given me plenty of time to sort and count them - a total of 94 moths of 39 species. Most of these were species I had seen before but there were a couple of nice ones that were new to my garden including Swallow Prominent and Elephant Hawk Moth. I had an Elephant Hawk last year that had emerged from a pupa that had been given to me but this was the first one that had actually come to the trap :D
Elephant Hawk Moth - Coverdale 28.05.2017
Swallow Prominent - Coverdale 28.05.2017
Swallow Prominent - Coverdale 28.05.2017
A species that I had a single example of last year and was pleased to see again this year...the Figure of Eighty, no prizes for guessing how it got its name,
Figure of Eighty -  Coverdale 28.05.2017
Figure of Eighty - Coverdale 28.05.2017
and just because I love green moths...in fact most of the 'green' species don't stay that colour for long and quickly fade.
Green Pug -  Coverdale 28.05.2017
Green Pug - Coverdale 28.05.2017
That brings me up to date to before I went down to Cornwall...

Bye for now,

Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some beautiful moths there Neil and your photography certainly does them justice :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thank you for your comment Pauline, the Elephant Hawk in particular is such a photogenic moth it is hard not to get a good photo of it :D

Cornwall - May 30th to June 3rd part 1.

Jane and myself returned home yesterday (Saturday 3rd) after spending a few days down in Cornwall, staying in a B&B in Mullion on the Lizard. After the wet Bank Holiday Monday, we had driven down on the Tuesday (May 30th ) in much better weather although we did go through a couple of heavy showers on the way down and on arrival it was cloudy with a stiff breeze coming in off the sea.
The weather for the rest of the week was mostly dry and warm with some sun, especially on Thursday, but there was also a lot of cloud about and Friday was dull and drizzly up until mid-afternoon. Nevertheless, even under the cloud, the air temperature would feel quite warm which meant that there were plenty of butterflies flying and the cloudy conditions meant that they were settling and basking frequently which made for good conditions for taking photos albeit they were often low down out of the breeze.

My main targets on The Lizard were Marsh Fritillary and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, with a potential secondary target of early Silver-studded Blues if I got the chance for a drive over to Upton Towans on the north coast. With the usual mix of some 'touristy' stuff to keep Jane happy plus an occasional cream tea or ice cream sundae, I managed to get out and see all three of these species during our stay. Reports on these to come over the next few days when I have had time to sort through my photos.

A number of other species were also seen during our stay, the most notable probably being Painted Ladies that were seen in increasing numbers through the week, most of them coming in at high speed off the sea and looking worn and tired after their travels to our shores. These were often seen alongside Red Admirals and a few Hummingbird Hawk Moths which had probably arrived together assisted by the wind which was blowing in from the south most of the time we were down there.

As usual, I have loads of photos to sort through and some catching up to do over the next few days but here are some random scenery shots of a few of the spots visited.
Wild flowers on the coast path between Lizard Point and Kynanace Cove. Overcast but feeling quite warm - 31.05.2017
Wild flowers on the coast path between Lizard Point and Kynanace Cove. Overcast but feeling quite warm - 31.05.2017
Looking across Upton Towans and St Ives Bay. Silver-studded Blues and SPBFs seen here - 01.06.2017
Looking across Upton Towans and St Ives Bay. Silver-studded Blues and SPBFs seen here - 01.06.2017
One of a number of patches of valerian at Upton Towans that were attracting Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and Hummingbird Hawk Moths - 01.06.2017
One of a number of patches of valerian at Upton Towans that were attracting Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and Hummingbird Hawk Moths - 01.06.2017
Chinook Helicopter seen showing impressive load carrying capacity over Predannack Cliffs - 01.06.2017
Chinook Helicopter seen showing impressive load carrying capacity over Predannack Cliffs - 01.06.2017
Looking down on Mullion Cove - 01.06.2017
Looking down on Mullion Cove - 01.06.2017
Evening shadows at Kynance Cove - 02.06.2017
Evening shadows at Kynance Cove - 02.06.2017

By simple virtue of being the first of my main targets seen down there, the next post will be the Marsh Fritillaries.

To be continued...

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I hardly ever get to see any of the Moth ' spectaculars ', so your images
of the Elephant Hawk are quite special, a lovely specimen.
A few years back, an old railway carriage I had spent 10 years rebuilding,
had just come out of the paint shop, in sparkling olive green. I went outside
to admire it, but was horrified to see ,what from a distance, looked like a
large paint blister. It turned out to be a Privet Hawk Moth, drying it wings !.
My only encounter with one.

Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,
A Privet Hawk camouflaged as a paint blister, I like it :D
I haven't seen a Privet Hawk in the flesh for some years now. I reared a couple from caterpillars found locally back in the 1970s but their numbers declined quite drastically in Warwickshire since then although they seem to have recovered a bit over the past few years.

Since I started running the moth trap in my garden I have been amazed at the variety of moths that are there that I had never seen before.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”