Andy Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
andy brown

Re: Andy Brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Goldie, I did pop back to MHD as I could not miss the chance with the weather due to change down here and I think I did get a couple of better shots along with some photo's of other butterflies this time along with a couple of beetles from yesterday but much better one of the Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle. I might make Long horn beetles my target group next year as I plan to retire in April (not counting) :wink: . Anyway here goes and apologies for the amount of Common Blue but it was a stunning fresh example I hope I did it justice.
IMG_2245.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG
Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Here are a few pictures from my wanderings in Wiltshire predominately with John (FISHiEE), an eclectic mix as usual as the weather was much more windy that forecast which meant butterfly photography was nigh on impossible.

Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue.JPG
1.49.210 [BF 1125] Ancylis unculana This moth is Nationally scarce (Nb) and the first I have seen
1.49.210  [BF 1125] Ancylis unculana.JPG
Yellow Hammer
Yellow Hammer.JPG
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary.JPG
Burnt-tip Orchid
Burnt-tip Orchid.JPG
66.003 [BF 1634] Lackey (Malacosoma neustria)
66.003  [BF 1634] Lackey (Malacosoma neustria).JPG
Abia sericea (male)
Abia sericea (male).JPG
66.010 [BF 1640] Drinker (Euthrix potatoria)
66.010  [BF 1640] Drinker (Euthrix potatoria).JPG
Broad-bodied Chaser-Libellula depressa Female
Broad-bodied Chaser-Libellula depressa Female.JPG
49.115 [BF 0942] Aethes piercei this moth is also Nationally scarce (Nb) and fortunately is find them in the same spot each year and saw at least 4 yesterday
49.115  [BF 0942] Aethes piercei or  49.114  [BF 0941] Aethes hartmanniana .JPG
Of for wood whites on Wednesday assuming they are not to past it and will post my findings

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A fascinating and esoteric selection, Andy. Very attractive orchids in particular. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Yes, that's a phenomenally eclectic range, Andy, and thanks for sharing it.

Those Burnt Tip Orchids are especially beautiful.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for your comments guys, Decided on a trip out to Tugley wood for mainly wood whites, got there early in the vain hope of finding roosting specimens as I had to be back to walk the dog for lunch time. Anyway no roosting butterflies were found but it started of warm and got incredibly hot in the rides with no or little wind but became unbearable by 10:30. In total I saw approx. 8 individuals with 2 female’s egg laying the first of which was about 9:30 which I managed to take a picture or 2 of the results. Loads of Common spotted orchids on display and a couple of other items of interest thrown in (It wouldn’t be me otherwise). Sorry for the grainy images it was not until later I realised I had the camera on ISO 500 (schoolboy error), may have to go back on Friday and try again.

49.214 [BF 1126] Ancylis badiana
49.214  [BF 1126] Ancylis badiana .JPG
Wood White
Wood White.JPG
Wood White .JPG
Wood White  .JPG
Courting
Wood Whites Courting.JPG
Wood White ovum
Wood White ovum .JPG
Wood White ovum.JPG
Common Spotted Orchid
Common Spotted Orchid.JPG
Common Spotted Orchid .JPG
Bagworm or Case Bearer
Bagworm or Case Bearer.JPG
Pine Weevil (Hylobius abietis)
Pine Weevil (Hylobius abietis).JPG
Spiderlings
Spiderlings.JPG
Cheers

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Popped over to Bramshott common for the Silver Studded Blues with the plan to meet FISHiEE for 5am, so a ridiculously early start which meant the alarm going off at 3:45. Anyway found plenty of our target species straight away with a majority being very fresh examples. I got absolutely soaked through with the damp grass but I am happy with the results except the dew covered ones I just cannot get to grips with. A few past it Common Blues were found amongst a selection of other insects. Getting a Canon 80d next month so may be on here asking for some advice on any specific settings needed from the macro perspective. I was home by 9am so here are a few pics from this morning.
IMG_3361.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3457.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG
Any help with this one appreciated
IMG_3381.JPG
Cheers

Andy

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Absolutely beautiful shots Andy, (are you selling your old camera) :lol: If I could take shots like that I'd be very happy, if I meet you again this summer may be you could give me some pointers :D Goldie :D

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

They all look pretty damn good to me!! :)

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for you comments Goldie & John, here is a selection of moths from the last weeks or so with a couple new for garden and one Nationally scarce (Nb), I have added length in MM's for a couple to give you an idea if the size.

07.014 [BF 0143] Nematopogon metaxella
07.014  [BF 0143] Nematopogon metaxella .JPG
20.007 [BF 0409b] Cypress Tip Moth (Argyresthia cupressella) 4-5 mm
20.007  [BF 0409b] Cypress Tip Moth (Argyresthia cupressella) 4-5 mm.JPG
65.005 [BF 1648] Pebble Hook-tip (Drepana falcataria)
65.005  [BF 1648] Pebble Hook-tip (Drepana falcataria) .JPG
70.144 [BF 1860] Green Pug (Pasiphila rectangulata)
70.144  [BF 1860] Green Pug (Pasiphila rectangulata).JPG
73.012 [BF 2434] Burnished Brass (Diachrysia chrysitis)
73.012  [BF 2434] Burnished Brass (Diachrysia chrysitis).JPG
16.014 [BF 0436] Pseudoswammerdamia combinella 7mm
16.014  [BF 0436] Pseudoswammerdamia combinella 7mm .JPG
49.166 [BF 1076] Celypha lacunana
49.166  [BF 1076] Celypha lacunana.JPG
49.254 [BF 1133] Epinotia bilunana
49.254  [BF 1133] Epinotia bilunana .JPG
62.010 [BF 1449] Elegia similella - Nationally scarce (Nb)
62.010  [BF 1449] Elegia similella - Nationally scarce (Nb).JPG
73.114 [BF 2305] Small Angle Shades (Euplexia lucipara)
73.114  [BF 2305] Small Angle Shades (Euplexia lucipara).JPG
20.018 [BF 0417] Argyresthia spinosella 5mm
20.018  [BF 0417] Argyresthia spinosella 5mm .JPG
69.016 [BF 1991] Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor)
69.016  [BF 1991] Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor).JPG
BW

Andy

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Andy,

A stunning series of Silver-studded Blue images and that is a great selection of moths :D

Cheers,

Neil.

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Impressive shots of the moths Andy. I'm tempted to dig out the trap and have a go at some of the micro ones myself but not sure my light would attract them quite so well as yours!

I'm wondering if the Wasp looking thing might be some kind of sawfly but not nerr any books to look them up...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Silver Studs are gorgeous Andy, a cracking sequence from jewel bedecked through to brilliantly sharp fresh individuals :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful SSB pictures :D The open wing shot is stunning!

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for your comments everyone, Missed most of the butterflies again this year as I am concentrating on the moths no excuse really, but anyway managed to get out the weekend and here are a few pictures from the day.

First site not much around but we did find this lovely fresh Female Chalkhill
IMG_7423.JPG
Then onto shipton Bellinger which was the most packed I had ever seen and what with the rifle range then the quad bikes going up and down was not the most peaceful day out. We did find our quarry and you had to get some quick picks before you were swamped with people barging in I don't think I shall at the weekend in the future we did fin a lovely female away from the main area which meant we were undisturbed allowing us to get some nice shots. First a couple of Brimstones which were in tip top condition followed but the Brown Hairstreaks.
IMG_7437.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7479.JPG
IMG_7597.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7704.JPG
We did find a couple of males but these were really quite worn and I think fresh females were in the significant majority, also lots of fresh Red Admiral apparently a Dingy Skipper was seen Small Blues and the other usual suspects for this time of year.

Get my new camera tomorrow so really need to get out this weekend to try it out Canon 5DS R so if any of you have used one for macro and have any tips/settings preferences please let me know.

Cheers

Andy

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Andy,
Just noticed your unidentified Bee / Wasp from early June ,don,t know if you,ve already had an id,and hoping I,m not telling you something you already know , anyway I believe your insect is a Bee-Wolf species( Philanthus) ,which as the name implies they prey on Bee's and suchlike, not sure which one ......... I,m happy to be corrected. Some superb images by the way !
Regards Allan.W.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Andy :D I was at Shipton on Saturday and I know what you mean, I found myself in a queue at one point :shock: and just as I was going to get an great angle on an open wing female someone got a bit over eager and off she went (mind you it's better behaviour than any 'twitch' I've attended). It was better away from the 'pack' and I found a fresh Dingy so I can confirm that species report :D I'll ask around next time I'm out in case you are to :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Brimstones and Brown Hairstreaks. What a combination. Looks like you had a rewarding day in spite of the noise pollution!

kevling

Post by kevling »

Andy,

Nice Hairstreaks and Brimstones. I doesn't look like you need a new camera, those are cracking!

Regards Kev

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi, and thanks all. Allan got as far as I could with the Wasp but need more specific photo to fully ID, kev camera has arrived and been out in the garden today trying it out with the Larvae etc. on the nasturtium. Larvae are Large White, Single egg is Small White and group of eggs is Moth ovum but need to look up unless one of you good people know. It was really quite windy but very pleased none the less.
Off out to Old Winchester Hill first thing tomorrow and with little wind will hopefully get some nice roosting shots.
599A9472.JPG
599A9473.JPG
599A9484.JPG
599A9484 (2).JPG
599A9486.JPG
599A9490.JPG
599A9508.JPG
Cheers

Andy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can see why you're pleased A. - some nice detail there ... but OWH and no wind??? Good luck with that :lol: . Looking forward to more shots :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”