ChrisC

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ChrisC

Re: ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

thanks for the comments guys, patience is one thing i do have. I've seen them , just not had a chance to get a photo :)
keeping fingers crossed for today.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Any luck?

Good things are worth waiting for. :-)

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

no luck Susie. but finally got round to processing a couple of pics.
Fangs for the memory
zebra.JPG
zebra1.JPG
and so no-one has nightmares I had an enchanting experience with 3 of these guys at the weekend, just sat watching them. naff pic but the best my lumix could do at that distance in the bad light.
bambi.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Is that a fallow deer, Chris? They are great little creature and I love watching them at Southwater.and other places here in West Sussex. There is a herd of black fallows at Pulborough and a white stag at Petworth.

Once I went to Kingley Vale and heard the stag calling during the rut, he didn't half make a noise! That was a very memorable experience.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Roe i think but i'm no expert. it's the first time i've seen anything other than their rear ends disappearing into the undergrowth. :lol:

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

as well as the morning small white and grizzlies as Martin Down, also saw Brimstone and speckled wood around Ringwood Forest. one of the Brimstone was very docile for a change. was lovely getting up close and personal with him. the subtle tones of the hairs. twas a great pleasure to make his aquaintance.
P1110976-crop.JPG

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning, Chris!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking close up Chris :mrgreen: Good news about the Grizzlies too, they do seem to come out later round here? Was it at the main car park off the Blandford Road - I've found them opposite the "landing" strip. Here's hoping it's a bit warmer this weekend...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

had the day off on susies recomendation today :lol: popped over to noar hill and spent a couple of hours wandering in the company of RobS. probably ended up on 10 species for the day including a speckled wood in the garden. what i found interesting was on getting up close and personal with a duke of burgundy was it having a "hairy" proboscis.
hairy tongued duke-tile.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Wow! That's a cracking photo Chris :-)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shot Chris! :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

RobS

Post by RobS »

Orange tip female border rs.jpg
Well i stayed at Noar Hill until about 1730 and there were still a few Dukes and Dingys flying at that time.Just after you left i returned to the area where we saw the first Dingy and there were about 4 Dukes and 3 Skippers chasing each other around.i had to tread very carefully in order not to squash any in the grass.
I did get a photo of an orange tip male but he wouldnt let me get close enough for a decent shot.Other than what we had seen earlier i did manage to find 3 holly blue,who posed nicely and played together,and a couple of speckled wood.No green hairstreak this time.
Cheers again for your company and helping me find my first ever dukes and dingys.

Rob

Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
RobS

Post by RobS »

And my Duke
Attachments
Duke 1 border rs.jpg

Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

despite the clearing cloud over towards Martin Down i decided instead to finally get to see some local bluebells, a bit past their best but they never fail to make me smile.
bluebells.jpg
apart from a lone speckled wood no butterflies were to be seen so instead of looking up i decided to spend some time looking down. have never really spent any time looking at mosses but i did today and found a few different types but don't ask me to name them.... I haven't a clue.
moss.jpg
Tried to get a few wild flowers too. my favourite being the stitchwort. others being spurge, yellow pimpernel, bugle, violet and wood anenome
flowers.jpg
the sun appeared briefly on the journey back to the car and the longhorn moths were prolific and it was nice to see my first large red damselfly of the year
large red.jpg
and being there with no other people about you still get the feeling you are being watched
watched.jpg
a splendid few hours.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i tried something different this afternoon, i tried adding (holding) the raynox dcr250 to the panasonic close up lens, the smallest thing i could find was a tiny springtail on the pond. had to use the built in flash, it's a work in progress.
spring.jpg

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

well, as can be read in Susies diary I got my first Pearl Bordereds on Monday, thanks again Susie.
Pearl.jpg
but it was great to see things warming up in the garden over the weekend too with peacock, comma, Holly blue, Brimstone males and females, Orange tip males and females and speckled wood all being seen but not all keeping still long enough for a portrait in the breezy conditions.
otm1.jpg
otm.jpg
brimbl.jpg
otf.jpg
But what made my day on sunday was a new and most unexpected tick for the garden ...... this Dingy Skipper. it stuck around long enough for a quick bask by the pond before disappearing. I was chuffed to say the least. but it also makes me wonder what else passes through while i'm not out there,
Dingy.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I think your dingy is a him :-)

I love the backlit brimstone. :-)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Susie wrote:I love the backlit brimstone. :-)
Agreed, a lovely photo :D

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:I love the backlit brimstone. :-)
Me too. Catching the light correctly is always difficult when photographing Brimstones.

This effort is first class.

Susie

Post by Susie »

How did the close up of the PBF's eye come out, Chris?

Return to “Personal Diaries”