Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul

Re: Paul

Post by Paul »

:D :D :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

A fine but very cold day today, took a walk along a local south facing field edge looking for ovae... really quite succesful, and a few photos in the low sun...
Purple Hairstreak
and one I think may have been parisatized.

and another WLH..

:D :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Those are fantastic pictures, Paul!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think I'm beginning to work this new camera out!! :?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I think I'm beginning to work this new camera out!! :?
With pics like those, what more can there be to work out?

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

well, for a start, they didn't fly off, and there was no breeze :lol: but- thanks anyway, appreciate the compliment :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

another WLH ovum, from a different place, but one where I've found them before. I searched 2 trees' reachable branches for about 30 minutes to find just this single one... no great idea how the female made it's choice.... wonder how many were higher up :?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Even up north spring is just around the corner... first flower in my wildflower bit...

the \snowdrops are well on...

and the birds are wearing their spring plumage..

and only 76 sleeps to go to Nice :D :D :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

A mixed bunch of finches this morning included a Tree Sparrow, and for the first time in ages, a Siskin...

:D :D had to take these through a window though :(

Paul

Post by Paul »

MV trap out for the first time this year last night... 4 moths, all ennominids, Early moth, Dotted Border and x2 Pale Brindled Beauty..

:D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I'v e been running my trap for about two weeks now. Not caught a thing.

Jack (Cambridgeshire)

Paul

Post by Paul »

Found my first hatched WLH ova today :shock: , definitely this year's, on the southeast side of the tree. Those on the southwest and west sides were still unhatched. The Elm flowers are really quite far on thankfully.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's amazing, Paul. Presumably there's still a chance of another month or more of bitter weather and frosts up in Richmond. Maybe the larva will be protected deep inside the elm flower. Well spotted!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

Uuuuurm Guy... I'm really hoping to see Spring soon :lol: but you're right, I hope it can survive deep in a bud... it was absolutely bitter here today :( The Elms do seem to be further on with their flowers than I recall them being in recent winters....? warmth, or chemoreception, or both, triggering hatch :?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

he Elms do seem to be further on with their flowers than I recall them being in recent winters....? warmth, or chemoreception, or both, triggering hatch :?
See my comment on Sussex Kipper thread about temperatures this February.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&p=41450#p41423

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

Yep that fits well doesn't it - it's snowing here today, and bitterly cold. :(

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another Siskin this morning..... they really like the Niger seed feeder... any bird lovers out there... well worth getting one.. but it took about a month before it was found by the Goldfinches.

:D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Some old images manipulated out of boredom to pretend to be SLR...

I think faking it wouldn't be impossible with a bit of meticulous work. :?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Who needs an SLR with pictures like those?

I notice that you have the much appreciated blurred backgrounds but managed to keep both antennae in focus. That's an even better idea than my previous suggestion:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4906&start=80#p41855
when I was accused of stirring!

Now you Paul, being the owner of a cheap and nasty Box Brownie compact and also a high-end DSLR wouldn't dare accuse me of stirring.

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

might just have wasted a lot of money :wink: - watch this space this year & you can be the judge! :D .... but are these things above still photos :? :roll: I don't think they could be printed out with much success.

Return to “Personal Diaries”