Old Wolf

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Old Wolf

Post by MikeOxon »

I must agree - that last pic of the Common Blue is a delight. On a good specimen like that one, you can see the double fringe, with the inner one crossed by dark lines while the outer is plain white - that defines Common Blue to me. Unfortunately, when the outer fringe wears, it can start to look a bit like the chequered fringes of other species :? I've seen your other posts, about difficulties with ID, and I often make mistakes in the field, too. We are fortunate, in UK, of having so few species, relative to continental Europe - I have no idea how Guy manages to identify all those blues in Switzerland :)

Regarding lost posts, I have learned by experience that it's a good idea to write the text of a long post in 'Notepad' (or similar) and then copy and paste it into your post. It can save a lot of frustration.

Your diary brings back many memories of my own butterflying experiences - yes, I have slipped down chalk banks too and often picked up more scrapes and bruises as the result of trying to protect my camera! I like your photo style, where you show the butterflies within an overall context, rather than almost looking like set specimens.

Mike

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

And a rather late welcome from me Old Wolf.
Especially as you seem to live in an area where half of me comes from !.
When I was a Tot, we used to change trains at Sandy, for Gamlingay.

If you are after Purple Hairstreaks down low, try early morning.
Even better if there is some low foliage near their favourite Oak,
for them to bask on.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

What an entertaining Diary

Thanks for your comment and I too welcome you (as a fellow newbie)

Your Common Blue photo on your last post is wonderful :mrgreen:

Look forward to reading more

cheers

Steve Lane

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can only re-iterate what everyone else has said about that CB shot - lovely composition and one I would certainly be pleased to have taken. Looking forward to more :D

David M

Post by David M »

Entertaining stuff, Old Wolf. Mishaps are an integral part of the butterflying regimen but then again so are delightful stills such as the one you took of the roosting Common Blue.

The positives hugely outweigh the negatives!

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Thanks for all the positve comments everyone :D

Bugboy: It was very eventful but I still enjoyed myself which is what it is all about I suppose. I now have the Word document handy at all times :D

Wurzel: Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures too.

Mike: Thanks for the kind words. I think that if I had more zooming capabilities then it may be a different story!

Trevor: Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to speaking with you soon. It is a small world :D I plan on an early morning trip this weekend, weather permitting. If I succeed then I will post here.

Steve: Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures too.

Pauline: Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures too.

David: Agreed. I still had fun and after all, where is the adventure with out the risk of danger? :D

Old Wolf.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Date: Saturday 21st July
Time: Morning.

On the advice of other forum members I decided to take an early morning trip to The Pinnacle in the Sand Hills to see if I could get close to the Purple Hairstreaks when/if they they came down from the trees. I knew they were up there and perhaps my early morning sneak attack would yield more than a fleeting glimpse.

I arrived at about 9am because the Pinnacle is at the bottom of a hill and the sun would have to be high enough to clear it. I walked around the perimeter where the Oak trees are, looking high and looking low. Nothing! Not a single Hairstreak anywhere.

I decided to look into the meadow to see what was warming up and was please to see a good number of Small Copper who were very accomodating.
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0028_edited 2.jpg
DSC_0024_edited.jpg
It was time for another scan around the Oaks but there wasn't anything to be seen. Nothing moving above and nothing had come down.

I decided to set off to the RSPB just up the road to see what I could find there. I locked the bike at the bottom of the hill and walked up the path towards the lodge and found a lovely little ride where the sun was beaming. There were a good number of Brown Argus, Common Blue and skippers in the long grass on one side of the path and the other side had Gatekeepers and all of the whites flitting above the brambles. I stayed there a while to see if I could get some open wing shots of the Argus or Blue.

I managed to get an Argus very nearly fully open.
DSC_0066.JPG
A common Blue settled so I waited with camera ready.................
DSC_0044_edited.jpg
And it very nearly happened.
DSC_0049_edited.jpg
I carried on towards the lodge and thought I would try my luck at the exit as I knew there were a lot of Oak trees down there so that is where I headed. I arrived and sure enough, I could see the Hairstreak up high darting from one oak to another. I waited. And waited. And waited but none of them wanted to come down. I stayed quite a while in the hope that one may visit but there wasn't any luck today.

I leave you with one last pic. My favorite from the Pinnacle :D
DSC_0022.JPG

Old Wolf.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Wolfy especially the Small Coppers and especially the final one, I can see why it's your fave :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots Old Wolf, they really show the parched grasslands. Bad luck with the Hairstreaks though, keep trying though, near the end of the flight season the last stragglers tend to be more inclined to come down :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Nice, almost sepia, scenes, Old Wolf. One gets a real impression of how dry and arid the grassland is right now.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Thanks guys.

It really is very dry there as it is pretty much everywhere I have been visiting lately.

Old Wolf.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

I have been a bit busy this week so a little late, but.......

Date: 22nd July

On Sunday morning I embarked on my first Butterfly Conservation Walk which was at Chicksands woods, a place I thought I had visited many times but as I found out, had never been before. I thought I had been taking my dogs to Chicksands woods for years as it was a wood in Chicksands but it turns out I had been visiting a wood called Rowney Warren which is in Chicksands as well. You learn something new every day they say, I am just glad I thought to check the grid references the night before :lol:

I arrived just before 9:30 to a group of about 15 people who were all very friendly. There was a nice mix of enthusiasts of all levels, from big butterfly counters to battle hardened veterans. Talk soon turned to butterflies in the wood and names were being thrown out there: White Admiral, Silver Washed Fritillaries, Hairstreaks, Purple Emperor! I was very excited :D

The weather wasn't the best as it was overcast and the sun would peek through very briefly only every so often but at least it was warm.

We headed in and and up the central (and only I think) gravel path and were greeted by Ringlet, Gatekeepers, Speckled Wood and the three, ever present Whites. Brown Argus flitted around the tall grass at the edge of the track and the group splintered as people found thing of interest to look at and pursue. People would flit from one group to another as butterfly names were called out, but I had yet to hear any of the big names mentioned.
DSC_0038_edited.jpg
We carried on for a bit until one of the groups called out 'Hairstreak' and everyone headed to the spot to have a look. It was a rather faded and worn White Letter but still a very new butterfly for me, so I was happy.

As we continued, another was spotted on the path right by my feet.
DSC_0028_edited.jpg
It was not the best condition and was more than happy for everyone to come and have a look and get pictures and in the end we left it where it was and continued on and it wasn't long until a big flash of Orange flew over our heads and glided into the Nettles slightly in front of us and the call went out 'Fritillary'. I headed over and sure enough, there it was my first Silver Washed Fritillary :D :D :D My fourth new Butterfly sighting this year :D I managed to get a pic before it headed off again and I was a very happy Wolf :D
DSC_0017_edited_edited.jpg
I fell in with a friendly chap who recounted his previous encounters in Chicksands Woods including a PE (see, I am getting down with the abbreviations people :D although SSS took me a while!) sighting earlier in the week. He showed me where he had marked the spot in the path with two crossed sticks and three stones. No luck today though. We passed a needle like monument at an intersection where he told me he knew a couple who would bring their deck chairs and sit there all day because everything you could see in the woods could be seen there.

Our continued adventures up the path yielded many more of the previously mention butterflies with a few Common Blue coming into the mix. We encountered a few more SWF but the pics were too far away for my zooming capabilities so instead I offer a Speckled Wood who looks like someone or something had taken a bite out of his hind wings.
DSC_0042_edited.jpg
When we reached the needle like monument at the end of the path, the group turned to return on the same path but a few of us took a side path detour as someone had mentioned it was Hairstreak Hotspot. There was a single WLH and another Fritillary 'fly by' but that was about all. We rejoined the group and carried on back down the path.

On the way back I spotted something on the track and it was another WLH who appeared to struggling as the breeze was making him fall to one side. I stopped to observe and put my finger in front of him and he took up my offer :D
DSC_0059_edited.jpg
I placed him back down and continued walking when a group of two people in front of me spotted a Purple Hairstreak on the ground but it flew away as they only spotted it at the last minute.

We reached the carpark at the end so I decided to head back in and eat my lunch before heading off. I said my thank you's and goodbye's and headed back in thinking the spot that the chap had mentioned earlier would be a good place to sit down and eat and you never know what may visit. I sat and ate my lunch and watched the trees, the bushes, the nettles, the brambles and the path. Nothing new turned up so I packed up and thought I would have one last close up look at the patch opposite where I was sitting when out of nowhere a silver shape dropped down in front of me and landed quite literally at my feet!
DSC_0066_edited.jpg
I was thrilled as it seemed like he came to give me a real good look before I headed off home. There were no White Admirals, Purple Hairstreaks today but I was still very happy with my Fritillaries :D
Attachments
DSC_0059_edited.jpg

Old Wolf.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's quite a good idea to choose a spot and stick to it. My wife often does that, while I wander around looking for my target species. Almost inevitably, when I return, she says something like "there was one just next to me for 5 minutes but you were too far away to call" :)

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hi Old Wolf, it has been far too hot lately for me to go out butterflying and now it's raining! But I've been catching up on your diary and whilst sympathetic, I was hugely entertained by your account of trying to get the Brimstone :lol: I hope you've recovered from the cuts and bruises.
I noticed you'd had a timed-out experience with the website; that happened to me in the past and a tip from Mike Oxon (Ithink) was to write it up in Notepad or similar first, which gives you plenty of time to think about it.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill stuff Old Wolf :D Any Whitter is a good Whitter regardless of how tatty it looks :D :mrgreen: To get one on your finger is mighty fine, I need that one in my ‘butterflies in the hand collection’ :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Wolf

I don't think you're old and I'm pretty sure you're not a wolf but I'm loving reading about your adventures. Your last report was entertaining and I could certainly relate to your excitement - not just from my earlier butterfly experience but from each and every time I go out, just not knowing what will be found; that sense of anticipation. Great reports and photos :D

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Thanks everyone.

Mike: Even though it is probably the best way to go about it, my feet get far too itchy to stay in one place too long. The thrill of the hunt calls :D
Janet: I am all recovered now thanks. Thanks for the tip and now I do now have word open just in case.
Wurzel: Just when I get SSS down, you go and throw another one in there. I shall have to remember Whitter for the future :D
Pauline: I am glad you are liking my PD. It is all very exciting but I fear I have been too spoiled with four new butterflies this year :D

Old Wolf.
David M

Post by David M »

Love the shot of the WLH on your finger, Old Wolf. I'd be grateful merely to see them at head height!! :evil:

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Date: 4th August

To plan my next trip I had a look at the sites area of this site to see if there were any local areas for me to find something new. I found Ashwell Quarry Nature Reserve which is only about 12 miles from me and was listed as being a site for Chalkhill Blue. Although the CB was one of my new sightings this year as anyone who has read my diary may remember, I hardly felt I could count it proper as, a) I wasn't even sure what type it was and b) my pictures of it were horrendous. The CB and I had unfinished business. Ashwell Quarry it was.

I arrived early and was excited at the prospect of seeing a CB properly and that I could identify it positively this time around. The sun was intermittently popping out from behind clouds so I hoped I could get some chances before the butterflies were fully warmed up.

I entered the site and immediately began seeing the little flags on the ends of the tall grasses. Common Blues and Brown Argus everywhere.
DSC_0018_edited.jpg
After a while of checking that there were not any Chalkhills in with the bunch, I headed further into the reserve to continue the hunt. I arrived at a fork in the path and decided to stay with the tall grasses rather than taking the other path into the bushes and it seemed like I was chasing blues for ages as there were so many. I would spot one on the wing follow it until it landed, check it to see what type and repeat. There weren't any Chalkhills about.
DSC_0029_edited_edited.jpg
The grassy path had many Common Blue, Gatekeeper, Whites and the odd Meadow Brown. I was even 'buzzed' by a lone Red Admiral who looked really worse for wear.
DSC_0034_edited_edited.jpg
And I did spy a Dusky Sallow on one of the flowers.
DSC_0023_edited_edited.jpg
This path ended in what I can only imagine was the bottom of the pit because it was a chalky and muddy (very dried) circular-ish depression with plants that were more weed like than everywhere else. This area was filled with Whites and Gatekeepers and the lone Admiral spiraling above me higher than the rest. The path did look like it could have carried on back up and around to meet the bushy path I saw earlier but it was so overgrown it looked impassable. I decided to head back the way I had come and take the other path to see if I could get through that way.

The other path was slightly less overgrown but still very narrow so I headed through and it went in a loop to some chalky steps that I had to descend with a chalk face cut into the hill. At the bottom it was like a minature valley with a path through the centre and it was there that I spotted a Chalkhill. It was really very tattered I had to look very closely as the spots on the upper hindwings were very nearly gone. I followed it along the path but it stayed very close to the ground. When it landed, I tried to get close but it was spooked and took flight again. I hoped there would be more.

At the end of the valley there was a hill which once I climbed would take me back to the grassy path and very close to the entrance of the site. I still hadn't seen a decent Chalkhill and planned on another circuit to try again. I walked to the top of there they were at the top :D :D :D
There were between ten and fifteen of them all in an area of about ten metres squared, all settled or flying low and I could see the spots and at last postively identify that they were Chalkhills :D
DSC_0054_edited_edited.jpg
DSC_0080_edited_edited.jpg
DSC_0102_edited_edited.jpg
My personal favorite.
DSC_0118_edited.jpg
After taking some snaps I decided to just sit there a while and enjoy them flitting around me as they seemed very unconcerned with my presence. I felt that I had accomplished my mission and was much happier with the shots I got so it was time to head home.

A quick stop on the way home yielded a nice surprise. A small Buddjela growing through a crack in the pavement in the street had a visitor so I grabbed the camera from the boot and snapped a nice underwing shot of this Painted Lady.
DSC_0132_edited_edited.jpg
Definately one of my favorite butterflies :D

Old Wolf.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I love that shot of the two Chalkhills beside one another on the Carline Thistles, neither bothering to chase off the other.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”