2015 Butterfly winners and losers

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Jack Harrison

Re: 2015 Butterfly winners and losers

Post by Jack Harrison »

In my 70 years of butterflying, Small Tortoiseshell numbers have always fluctuated. I presume it's a host/parasite interaction. Sturmia bella is a relatively new parasite and was blamed for a disastrous fall in Tortoiseshell numbers a few years ago. Then Tortoiseshell numbers recovered: Sturmia bella had a minor reprieve as being the sole cause of the earlier decline.

Tortoiseshell numbers undoubtedly will again increase - followed by another crash. And so on.

As Lance-Corporal Jack Jones.... (Dad's Army).... would have said: "Don't panic!"

Jack.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I'm not panicing,Jack!

I agree. The sudden recovery of Small Torts a couple of years back was most unexpected. It has happened before so there is no reason to suggest they will not recover again sooner or later. It seems Torts are less prone to 'boom or bust' in the north and west of our country than in the south-east,what do others think?
David M

Post by David M »

Must admit, here in south Wales there are always decent numbers of Small Tortoiseshells every year, though some years see more than others.
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Fantastic Summer for Holly Blues...and a better (though still poor) year for Painted Ladies than 2014...
Overall I think it suffered in comparison with 2014's fantastic summer :)
Though the late flurry of Long-tailed Blues kept interest up till very late in the season :)

Return to “General”