December 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Scott Barron

Re: December 2014

Post by Scott Barron »

Today 29th December at about 11:30am I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell basking at Porthgwarra Cove in Cornwall. It was a bright sunny morning, but still an amazing sighting considering the heavy frost from the night before. I have now recorded 2 Small Tortoiseshell (the other on the 3rd), 2 Red Admiral (3rd & 24th)& 1 Peacock (3rd) this December. Also have managed to record butterflies in all 12 months of 2014, the 1st time I have ever managed this :D .
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Scott Barron wrote:... Also have managed to record butterflies in all 12 months of 2014, the 1st time I have ever managed this :D .
I'm impressed Scott. I barely managed to do that in 2014 here in the South of France :D
Chris
adonisblue

Peacock spotted on Christmas Day!

Post by adonisblue »

There's a first time for everything: here's a pic of a peacock we spotted enjoying the sunshine on Christmas Day! A nice surprise, don't think I've ever seen a butterfly on Christmas Day before.

Photo was taken at lunchtime just north of Salisbury in Wiltshire, where on the day the temperature probably reached 8-9C and was just about 'warm' if you were sheltered from the wind...
Attachments
IMG_1422.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Not bad for a first post, AB.

I reckon there'll be a few sightings in the southern and eastern parts of the UK within the next few days as temperatures are set to hit double figures!

Return to “Sightings”