The most unusual, local or rare Butterfly in your garden?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
ABerryman

Re: The most unusual, local or rare Butterfly in your garden

Post by ABerryman »

I live on the largest housing estate in the UK and yet even in my tiny urban garden am lucky enough to have Green Hairstreak as an annual visitor. This year I had 5 sightings throughout the year :-)
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Great thread this.

When i can, Im always garden watching, you just never know what might turn up.
I suppose the best butterfly seen in my garden are WLHs. I first spotted them several years ago, climbed on my shed roof, and took long distance pics of them leaning into the elm leaves. At that time, i didnt know what species they were :oops: because i had only just started observing butterflies!
2 years have passed since i last really saw them, but this year(being what it is) has seen them once again return.
I should check my overal garden list too, because this year i added 7 new species/types.
I live in a suburban area, but my garden does back onto a wooden area. I aslo have an overhanging oak tree(next to the 2 elm trees) so this year i was leaning out my bedroom window, to photograph a PH!!

This WLH flew onto my lawn(i was looking out the window at the time) so i shouted to my wife to keep an eye on that butterfly I grabbed my camera, ran downstairs, and took several photos.

This photo was shot on the 14/7/13, i had seen them the previous day too, and judging by the wing damage, they had been out on the wing for awhile.
3 years ago, I spotted them flying around in my garden, in the last week of May!

Cheers Paul.

14th-July-2013-125-to-600.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

That's one hell of a garden 'tick'.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:That's one hell of a garden 'tick'.
Im not sure if you are refering to my garden tick? or the post above mine(with the GHs) ?

I'll answer anyway, and risk looking like an arrogant plum :oops: :lol:

It is great to see these WLHs in the garden, but its not easy to sight them. I spent hours scanning the garden that weekend, for the most part just seeing a glimps of them up in the trees. If you look at the photo, it looks like the butterfly is looking for moisture on the grass? I think back then it was quite a hot spell, we had been emptying the paddling pool at night on the lawn, so it could make sense??
I also photographed a small skipper, and a female common blue, landing on the same damp patch of grass too.

Whilst i did take long distance "record pics" at first, with this shot, i was using the raynox 250 macro lens on my FZ45 bridge camera. So in order to get the focus, i have to be within 6 inches of the target/subject. Thats the only drawback using the raynox, you have to get very close to make the shot...it has certainly improved my field/ninja skills though :wink:

Cheers Paul.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”