Gothic_dreams

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gothic_dreams

Re: Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Babbs Mill - 30/06/12

With the afternoon being very windy but sunny and warm I decided to take a wander over Babbs Mill after work to join up with the father who was already over their. The wind made it very difficult conditions for taking decent photos but managed to see a good selection of things fluttering through the long grass in the meadows. Amongst the things seen were 4 Ringlets, 5 Large Skippers, a Speckled Wood, and 3 Red Admirals.
Ringlet underside
Ringlet underside
Ringlet
Ringlet
Famale Large Skipper
Famale Large Skipper
Male Speckled Wood
Male Speckled Wood
Red Admiral
Red Admiral

Also fluttering about in the wind were a mixture of Common Blue Damselfly, Azure Damselfly, and Blue-tailed Damselfly.
Common Blue Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly

A very enjoyable afternoons walk :)

Chris

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your damselfly photos are lovely Chris - really sharp and beautifully posed. Well done! Are you sure you haven't been doing this for years :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Pauline I appreciate the kind comments :) Today was only my 3rd time but luckily my dad has passed on some good tips to me, but hopefully I shall be doing it for years to come :)

Chris

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

This is the first time I have had chance to update my diary for a while due to work commitments, so I will start with a trip I had last Wednesday.

Prees Heath and Whixall Moss - Wednesday 04/07/12

Me and the father both booked the day off work and decided to have a look at Prees Heath and Whixall Moss.
I wont talk too much about these places as my dad described them well in his entries a few days back, but what we half expected to be a bit of a wash out turned out to be a wonderful trip.
We started at Prees Heath, and then went onto Whixall before ending the day back at Prees Heath.

I will start with photos from the 2 visits to Prees Heath
Underside - Male Silver-Studded Blue
Small Heath
Small Heath
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Underside - Female Silver-Studded Blue
Underside - Female Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded blue invading a mating pair of Burnet Moths
Male Silver-Studded blue invading a mating pair of Burnet Moths
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Peacock caterpillars
Peacock caterpillars
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Mating pair of Silver-Studded Blue
Mating pair of Silver-Studded Blue
Female Silver-Studded Blue
Mullein moth caterpillar
Mullein moth caterpillar
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Underside Male Silver-Studded Blue
Underside Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Male Silver-Studded Blue
Small Heath
Small Heath
And now for the visit we took to Whixall Moss :)
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
Meadow Brown underside
Meadow Brown underside
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
Large Heath
Female Meadow Brown
Female Meadow Brown
Ringlet underside
Ringlet underside
Ringlet underside
Ringlet underside

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

(Prees Heath and Whixall Moss - Wednesday 04/07/12 continued)
Ringlet
Ringlet
And to finish with, 3 Damselflies at Whixall moss, a Large Red Damselfly and 2 Emerald Damselflies :)
Large red Damselfly
Large red Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
More to come soon :)

Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Chris :D Can you get "the father" to pass on some of those tips to me? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you Wurzel im glad you enjoyed them :) to be honest most of my technical side is point, click and hope for the best, the camera does most the work and co-operative butterflies help :mrgreen:

Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Good work with the Large Heath davus. They are stunning (surely the finest in Europe).

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you David, we got lucky with the Large Heath as a couple landed right by us on the path :)

Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Gothic_dreams wrote:Thank you David, we got lucky with the Large Heath as a couple landed right by us on the path
Matters not - you captured them on film better than I've ever seen them before. Davus is by far the most striking Large Heath ssp, and it's range is fairly restricted compared to polydama and scotica. Probably, Whixhall Moss is the best place on earth to see it.

I went there last year but I don't remember any of the dozen or so I saw being SO heavily marked.

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you for the kind comments David, I agree with you that the markings on them are lovely, being the first time I have seen this butterfly it was a treat to see them at good quality :)

Chris

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

wow there some ace photo i hope i can get that good :) . i mostly worked on kids and landscaps so i'm really new to wild life photos

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you feralkitten :) Like you i am also fairly new to taking wildlife photos. I have never done photography before in the past, this being my first year at it and the most recent photos only being my 4th attempt, starting to pick it up and get the nack of it tho :)

Chris

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

i been doing wildlife a weak lol . i needed to try it for my portfolo for college and i found i really liked it . i found i liked taken photos of old castles and stuff to they look really cool when turn black and white . kinda into the creepy gothic look

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking shots Chris :D Can you get "the father" to pass on some of those tips to me? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I don't know that I have actually given him any tips other than;

1 - Don't muck about with the camera settings too much.
2 - Try and think about the background when you take your shot.

I have picked up most of my 'tips' from people on here. I think the most valuable was to set the exposure setting to -2/3 on my Lumix, more perhaps for whites or a particularly sunny day.

As Chris says, our cameras are remarkably easy to get good photos with :D

The Father (Neil)

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Chris

Great shots, all are equally good despite the different species and challenges presented.

Phil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gothic_dreams wrote:Prees Heath and Whixall Moss - Wednesday 04/07/12
A splendid series of photos! I notice that one of your Large Heaths (P1070398) has an elongated 'spot' typical of Ab. lanceolata. You have some very nice damselfly photos as well!

Mike

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Thank you for the kind comments Phil

And thank you Mike im glad you enjoyed them, and i agree with the Large Heath photo you mentioned :) Im glad you like the damselfly photos too, im becoming quite a fan of them, i never really noticed how nice they could before i started taking photos of them.

Chris

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Babbs Mill - Thursday 12/07/12

As it was a sunny afternoon, very rare these days, I decided to have a look over Babbs Mill on the way home from work to see what was out and about.

I was pleased to see that the number of things fluttering around had increased since my last visit, most being very active due to the warm and sunny day. Amongst the things out and about I spotted a lot of Ringlets, I counted at least 30, 2 Red Admiral, 5 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Meadow Brown, and 5 Large Skipper. The highlight of the visit being 2 mating pairs of Small Tortoiseshell :)
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Underside - Red Admiral
Underside - Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Underside - Red Admiral
Underside - Red Admiral
Peacock caterpillars
Peacock caterpillars
Mating pair Small Tortoiseshell 1 (little blury round the edges due to fluttering wings)
Mating pair Small Tortoiseshell 1 (little blury round the edges due to fluttering wings)
Mating pair Small Tortoiseshell 2
Mating pair Small Tortoiseshell 2
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
Male Large Skipper
Male Large Skipper
Male Large Skipper
Male Large Skipper
Cat spying on me in the woods
Cat spying on me in the woods
Also spotted was a Banded Demoiselle and many Damselfly.
Banded Demoiselle
Banded Demoiselle
Damselfly tree :)
Damselfly tree :)
A very enjoyable afternoons walk and nice to see pleanty about in the rare good weather :)

Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots and good to see more than a single Small Tortoiseshell reported :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”