Pyrenees Orientales

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
JKT

Re: Pyrenees Orientales

Post by JKT »

padfield wrote:I camp at 900m and walk daily to sites between 1800m and 2400m.
Ouch! I've done the 1400 up and down exactly once and my legs were sore for a week afterwards. It may have something to do with the hosts being in way too good condition and us trying to match the speed... On the other hand, 1 km up and down with 25 level is not that difficult.
David M

Post by David M »

JKT wrote: Ouch! I've done the 1400 up and down exactly once and my legs were sore for a week afterwards. It may have something to do with the hosts being in way too good condition and us trying to match the speed... On the other hand, 1 km up and down with 25 level is not that difficult.
Yes, but you need to use crampons where you are! :)
JKT

Post by JKT »

David M wrote:Yes, but you need to use crampons where you are! :)
Fortunately not. If that was in Finland it would get pretty boring going up and down those 100 m hills. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

...as my Finnish friend pointed out here in Cambridgeshire - there is only one letter different between "Fenland" and "Finland" :lol:
Both are pretty flat!
N
If you go out with Guy - there are mountain goats less sure and quick than he.....!
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Post by David M »

NickB wrote:...as my Finnish friend pointed out here in Cambridgeshire - there is only one letter different between "Fenland" and "Finland" :lol:
Both are pretty flat!
Well you learn something new every day. I'd always thought the north of Finland was mountainous. :oops:
JKT

Post by JKT »

David M wrote:Well you learn something new every day. I'd always thought the north of Finland was mountainous. :oops:
Compared to the rest of the Finland it is. However, on a wider scale even that is quite mild. There are considerable mountains in the Scandinavia, but Finland only reaches to the edges. The highest point in Finland is 1,3 km and even the highest point of that peak is on the Norwegian side of the border. The surrounding valleys are at 750 m, so the peak itself is not that high. And that kind of terrain is only in the extreme NW Finland.

The reason we have some mountain species is the latitude. The vegetation and flight times in the southern Finland correspond to roughly 1300 m at the Alps. The northern Finland might be something like 1700 m. Add to that the altitude of 400 m (peaks! :D ) at the extreme North of Finland and you can see why we have the species we do. And it also shows that the climate change can easily wipe out quite a number of our Northern species - or at least it can push them to Norway, where the real peaks are.
NickB

Post by NickB »

David M wrote:
NickB wrote:...as my Finnish friend pointed out here in Cambridgeshire - there is only one letter different between "Fenland" and "Finland" :lol:
Both are pretty flat!
Well you learn something new every day. I'd always thought the north of Finland was mountainous. :oops:
You are right. Finland is a big country; as JKT points out - there are some mountainous areas in the very north & north west but the majority is very much lower tundra in the north, and lake, forest and bog, with much of the South & West corner tamed and drained for agriculture. Forestry of some sort takes place almost everywhere, so this cycle of clearances does mean that species adapted to forest-edges and woodland do seem to do well - Hairstreaks and Fritillaries, for instance.... . I stayed half-way up Finland where there are a few hills of 100+m (!) and found Silver Studded Blues, Amanda's, Marbled Frits, etc without really looking - but it is the latitude, rather than altitude, that makes a bigger difference. Where I was seemed on the cusp of the northern range and southern or western extents of some species. I would love to go right up through Lapland; but as JKT has said - nothing is certain in that climate and it is a long way to go....
N
David M

Post by David M »

Just taken a close look at the topography of Finland and I see what you mean. It's only high and rugged in that small area where it shares a border with Norway. I'd always thought the uppermost quarter was hilly, but I see it's as flat as a billiard table in most parts.

Lots of water too. I bet the biting flies are bloody everywhere in summer.
NickB

Post by NickB »

David M wrote: Lots of water too. I bet the biting flies are bloody everywhere in summer.
Oh, yes! I recommend the Norwegian coal-tar based repellent; you need to re-apply more regularly than the nasty chemical stuff, but it works - and smells nicer too!
:)
N
JKT

Post by JKT »

David M wrote:I bet the biting flies are bloody everywhere in summer.
Naah. They are are not that bad. North from Oulu its the mosquitoes that will get you. :wink:
NickB

Post by NickB »

There speaks a local.....
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds frightening!

What happens in the far north of the country where the sun never sets? Are butterflies still active at 11pm?
JKT

Post by JKT »

David M wrote:What happens in the far north of the country where the sun never sets? Are butterflies still active at 11pm?
Not really. From what I've seen they settle down roughly at 6 pm. On the other hand it makes catching or photographing "night"-time moths much easier ... or you can use that time to change location. :D

There is also quite a number of day-flying moths especially in Plusiinae. Some of them you can't see elsewhere. That may or may not have something to do with the sunny nights.

Return to “Overseas”