Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Reverdin

Re: Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 6 – From a car park at 1100m, in a different side valley, we took a long and intermittently steep walk on a baking hot day to 1600m. Conifer predominant mixed forest gave out to Alpine flower meadow grassland at 1400m.
The first part therefore showed off mainly Fritillaries.. Titania’s and Lesser Marbled in particular, along with the now ubiquitous Arran Brown.
titania
titania
ino with company
ino with company
ino
ino
ligea
ligea

As we left the tree-line, Chalkhill Blues accompanied us up the path, with teasing erebia, worked out to be Common Brassy Ringlet. Some Large Blues were present and photos were impossibly difficult to obtain.
cassioides
cassioides
cassioides
cassioides
cassioides
cassioides
and another Pyrgus challenged us..
alveus
alveus
As we wandered back down, we were attracted to an unusual looking beast which when it eventually stopped proved to be a very unusual beast.. never seen one like this before...
:shock:
hyperantus ab. pallens
hyperantus ab. pallens
hyperantus ab. pallens
hyperantus ab. pallens

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 7 - Another short morning walk down the river valley through waste ground and woodland yielded a few more species, although the hope of a fresh Short-tailed Blue never materialized..
malvae
malvae
malvae
malvae
alcetas
alcetas
alcetas
alcetas
paphia
paphia
( edit) napi  ssp. meridionalis
( edit) napi ssp. meridionalis

At the end of the day we travelled through high mountain passes to our second destination at Evian, to position ourselves for visits to the Swiss Valais, bringing few but welcome opportunities at 1600m in the evening sun.
hippothoe
hippothoe
hippothoe
hippothoe
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Reverdin,

Lovely photos.

I'm usually wrong in these things, but isn't your rapae actually napi?

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hi Lee... you could well be right.... I've been caught out like that before with lightly marked napi... but it was a big b****r!! :D - I'll look at it more closely.... thanks :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 8

Another day to savour.. Quite a long trip to a high Swiss mountain pass to search out some special species at 2000m to 2250m.

It was very sunny to start with, but the cloud built up until it deposited plenty of rain as we beat a retreat in the mid afternoon. Bodily but not spiritually dampened, we had seen most of that we had been looking for.
male Cranberry Blue
male Cranberry Blue
female Cranberry Blue
female Cranberry Blue
Cranberry Blue underside
Cranberry Blue underside
male Cranberry Blue
male Cranberry Blue
Glandon Blue
Glandon Blue
Glandon Blue underside
Glandon Blue underside
Ther were many Idas Blues.. this one was particularly well endowed with silver studs.
Idas Blue.
Idas Blue.
Then there was this beautiful pair of Purple Edged Coppers..
Purple Edged Coppers
Purple Edged Coppers
Once we got beyond my favourite Lycaenids, there were others...
debilis Marsh Fritillary
debilis Marsh Fritillary
debilis underside
debilis underside
female Mountain Fritillary
female Mountain Fritillary
Male Mountain Fritillary underside
Male Mountain Fritillary underside
male Grisons Fritillary
male Grisons Fritillary
Grisons underside
Grisons underside
Silver Spotted Skipper
Silver Spotted Skipper
Swiss Brassy Ringlet
Swiss Brassy Ringlet
Darwin's Heath
Darwin's Heath
Ringlet (edit) epiphron
Ringlet (edit) epiphron
not sure which erebia (edit) epiphron
not sure which erebia (edit) epiphron
:?

As we descended back to the car, Blues were beginning to settle down and I had the opportunity to photograph this beauty...
Damon Blue
Damon Blue
Finally, as we drove back towards home, a last stop produced this rather nice Escher's ( or Chapman's... but I think Escher's)
Escheri
Escheri
Escheri underside
Escheri underside
:D :D :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Fantastic photos, as always, Rev!

I think both your last Erebia are epiphron.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks Guy, epiphron they are! As ever, much appreciate you keeping me right, I tend to come up with some maverick ID's on occasions :lol:

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 9

A trip to a further high venue, at a different mountain pass. This time quite a long uphill trek was necessary, after setting off at 2200m, again in wonderful alpine weather. An early start meant we could make the most of butterflies rousing and nectaring before their most active daily routine. We turned round eventually at 2500m, and re-traced our steps, as the weather became more breezy and the clouds built up. All in all, an exceptional day.

I really had wanted to return to this place as it was the first time I saw Alpine Blue, and was disappointed then with my photos, which turned out poor. This time I was able to linger along the paths, and I hope did the species more justice. This time, my recollection of an electric blue upperside was tempered with them appearing from some angles as Common Blue like. Only from other angles did that electric colour flash out.
Alpine Blue 1
Alpine Blue 1
Alpine Blue 1 - different angle
Alpine Blue 1 - different angle
Alpine Blue 1 underside
Alpine Blue 1 underside
Alpine Blue 2
Alpine Blue 2
Alpine Blue 3
Alpine Blue 3
There was much more to come.. :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 9 continued.

There were other Blues around to savour.. immediately out of the car, Eros was making it's pale and beautiful presence felt..
eros<br />eros
eros
eros
eros
eros
This female tityrus (edit) hippothoe must have been very fresh..
hippothoe female
hippothoe female
Idas was ever present, and probably as plentiful as minimus was..
idas
idas
Glandon was being a little more shy, but one chap eventually found his moist patch more interesting..
glandon
glandon
Finally, and the suprising piece de resistance for the day was this fantastic emergent female arion...
arion underside
arion underside
arion upperside
arion upperside
and that takes care of the Lycaenids... a wonderful place for them. :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Reverdin!

More fantastic stuff!

That tityrus must be hippothoe. A feature of the old genus Heodes, which tityrus really belongs to (I hate lumping), is that the pd line of spots on the forewing is staggered, in groups of two. In the old Palaeochrysophanus (hippothoe), that line of spots is smooth and continuous.

For me, that's decisive, BUT I could be wrong, as you know.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks again Guy, I'm losing my touch.. just hadn't seen the males around, but your arguement is sound as usual.. changing it now... it was a beauty!!!

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day 9 continued...

We saw one Small Apollo, which seemed dozy whilst I over-exposed all my photos, the as I nonchalantly adjusted things and prepared to do it right, the Apollo flitted lazily off over the cliff, never to return... so here is my attempt to rescue a blown immage... the only time I have ever seen this one, about 3/4 size of normal Apollo, and red spots on forewing just about distinguishable :( :D
Small Apollo
Small Apollo
Erebia were generally too active to get close to, but I would be grateful for Guy's opinion on this one, photo taken on the path overlooking brilliant blue glacial water..
erebia 1 ??
erebia 1 ??
erebia 2 ??
erebia 2 ??
erebia 2 ??
erebia 2 ??
erebia 2 ??
erebia 2 ??
tindarus upperside
tindarus upperside
tyndarus underside
tyndarus underside
This underside may not quite be the hue I remember.. maybe need to have another look at it.
Last edited by Reverdin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Erebia 1 & 2 both look like mnestra to me.

Guy

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Skippers were likewise fast and furious, but up at 2500m, this large one I think may be cacaliae, another first..
?Dusky Grizzled
?Dusky Grizzled
and Silver Spotted Skippers were among the most common..
Silver Spotted Skipper
Silver Spotted Skipper
At a similar height, I finally found an obedient Peak White, and only probably LOTSW1 know what that means to me...
Peak White
Peak White
Peak White underside
Peak White underside
After this many joyous sightings, there were only the day's Fritillaries to come.. :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Guy... you have no idea how much I was hoping you would say that.. I doubted it 'cos we were at the other site with the Cynthia's. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

:D

It seems you had a fantastic trip!

I'm also pretty confident that's cacaliae!

Guy

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Certainly did, only your company ( impossible I know) could have made it better... as others on this site can now appreciate. Well, here are the Fritillaries from our penultimate day...
debilis
debilis
Grisons
Grisons
Grisons underside
Grisons underside
Shepherd's (edit)
Shepherd's (edit)
Shepherd's (edit)
Shepherd's (edit)
Shepherd's (edit)
Shepherd's (edit)
and after some searching, and more worn than when last seen...
Cynthia's Fritillary
Cynthia's Fritillary
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Another year!

I've edited this. I think they're all shepherd's frit now. Reasoning to come latet - I'm multitasking at the moment.

Guy

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I'll go with that!... thanks, as ever.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

This was to be our last day. It was a risk to decide to go chasing Phengaris species, as I had maps covering the start and end of the journey, but not the middle bit!.. A friend, :wink: chanced in on the way, kindly supplied the missing link, actually more straightforward than I remembered. Sadly he couldn’t join us, but we journeyed onwards undaunted, with weather rather dubiously promising.

We need not have worried. The weather stayed kind and we reached our destination in good time, a lake surrounded by towering peaks.
P. nausithous
P. nausithous
P. nausithous
P. nausithous
Rare? upperside view of female nausithous
Rare? upperside view of female nausithous
P. nausithous
P. nausithous
P. telejus
P. telejus
P. telejus female
P. telejus female
P. telejus female
P. telejus female
Ironically, one of the most pressing reasons for making this journey was for the male upperside of telejus... I didn't take this, but my son did!.. :mrgreen:
P. telejus male
P. telejus male

Return to “Personal Diaries”