Fuzzy Sigma?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Murph

Re: Fuzzy Sigma?

Post by Murph »

Hi Robin, re fuzzy Sigma 150 shots.
I think you should have your lens checked by Sigma or a recognised lens repairer. Sometimes a lens can focus in front or behind the focus point and needs recalibrating. With regard to the 7D I've never used one, but it may be possible to try another 150 at your local retailer to see if the problem persists.
I use the Sigma 150 with a 20D and 40D bodies and don't have any specific problems though a lot of shots aren't on the button sharp.
I tend to use AF and endeavor to stop down as far as light conditions allow to increas depth of field. This is often the real problem with soft close up and macro shots.
Your camera and lens combo should be able to produce stunning images.
Good luck with sorting out the problem, Paul.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Markulous wrote:Found the answer to my flat and boring 7D shots of snowdrops from yesterday: shoot some more with my SD14! Much better!
Rather than suggest that your old Sigma is the master of your new 7D, I would guess that you are yet to master your new 7D.

I was convinced that the 40D was better than the 50D when I first had them both. Eventually I grew used to the 50D, and found it to be the far better camera. Then when I replaced the 40D, and got the 5D MK II, I found that for quite some time I was getting better results with the 50D. :shock:
But to say that the 50D was a better camera than the 5D MK II would be a bit silly.
The 7D is nothing like any of the cameras I have previously owed, and I fully expect it to take quite some time to learn how to get the best out of it.

Kind Regards Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Gruditch wrote:Rather than suggest that your old Sigma is the master of your new 7D, I would guess that you are yet to master your new 7D.
Nopes, I'm suggesting that the Foveon is better at the sort of image I'm after than the Bayer. Don't get me wrong, the Canons are great at rattling off good, consistent images (and the 7D's a great workhorse) - just that the Sigma produces that 'extra' that I'm after in these sort of subjects! :wink:
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I meant the firmware upgrade might fix your camera error messages if there is a later version available...
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

FISHiEE wrote:I meant the firmware upgrade might fix your camera error messages if there is a later version available...
No, it's got the latest firmware. From others who've had the same error, it's a power problem - makes sense as unscrewing/rescrewing grip seems to sort problem out. Only very occasional now so maybe it'll settle down
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

I'm sure you will be aware of this but in case you're not (or if anyone reading isn't) there is a focus test chart which you can make up to check whether your lens/camera combo is focussing correctly. Obviously you can check the camera/lens AF and check manual focus delivers correct focus too.

http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Hope this helps.

Bill
Robin

Post by Robin »

Well, the lens is back from Sigma. The delivery note says "No fault found to manufacturers standard - reset, check & test"
I've done the same test on the concrete column and everything is fine!! :D :D
So Roger, there is no need to be concerned about buying a 7D.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Robin
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Good to here it's working ok now :)

Out of interest did they charge anything for fixing the 'no fault'?
Robin

Post by Robin »

Afraid so, the lens was out of warranty so they charged me £35. But it was worth that to have it back and working OK. Much cheaper than buying a new one. I was also impressed with their turn around. Very efficient, much better than some others I've had to deal with.
Now I could tell you a tale about Dell computers that would make your eyes water.
Robin
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hehe well actually I had a bad experience with sigma and my 150. Dropped my camera (well more accurately didn't correctly secure my monopod head quick release head so it fell off the monopod) and broke the lens mount off the base. was hoping they'd write it off and I'd get a new one on insurance but they said they could fix it. It took 4 months to get the parts which p'd me off rather as I was stuck with a crappy 70-300 for most of the butterfly season. It was rubbish compared to the 150 and I cursed sigma every day I had to go out with that 70-300!

AF was a bit slow when it came back (and just about non-existent with extension tubes)on my 10D and I was gonna flog it and get a new one, though when I upgraded to a 30D (and subsequently 50D) the AF was just as when I first bought it.

Return to “Photography”