September 2008 votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Who would you like to vote for ?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:02 am

Antonym
No votes
Charles Nicol
1%
ColinC
2%
Dave McCormick
2%
Deano
No votes
Denise
2%
FISHiEE
9%
Gruditch
6%
Ian Pratt
No votes
Keith Woonton
3%
Markulous
2%
NickB
2%
Paul Brock
8%
Paul Kipling
7%
Pete Eeles
9%
Polly
4%
Shirley Roulston
No votes
Steve W
1%
Sussex Kipper
1%
Sylvia Godfrey
1%
birdy43
4%
eccles
6%
geniculata
2%
jellyang
No votes
m_galathea
No votes
marcinklysewicz
7%
mouse
1%
padfield
1%
petergat
7%
web4160
2%
xmilehigh
12%

Total votes: 109

FISHiEE

Re: September 2008 votes

Post by FISHiEE »

Scarce Copper FISHiEE

Stunning shot – something to aspire to. Hate to say it but I bet it’ll be the butterfly that lets you down in the voting.
Really good critique. Just curious as to what exactly was meant by mine? That a non-native species might get less votes or there was a technical issue with the butterfly?

I did actually think of changing it for something British as I only got this one in this month due to a premature closure to last months entries meaning I was allowed to put this August pic in. I thought putting in something actually taken in September would be a little fairer on my part as I had severalk september pics in the end. I never got round to it though!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to the winners, in yet another tight one.

1st - xmilehigh

= 2nd Fishiee & Pete Eeles

And well done to all that entered.

BTW, it says that voting will run till the 25th but that should Be the 20th, :oops: I thought about changing it, but then remembered how Mike Young accidentally reset all the voting, and thought better of it. :!:

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

Congratulations to xmilehigh. New to the forum, and an excellent winning shot. It really shows autumn at it's best.
Also very well done to Fishiee and Pete. Both great shots.
Well done to all that took part :D

Denise
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Many congratulations to the winners, nice one of Pete's something different. Shirley
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Really good critique. Just curious as to what exactly was meant by mine? That a non-native species might get less votes or there was a technical issue with the butterfly?
Nothing technically wrong with the butterfly at all FISHiEE, just a observation regarding non native voting.

Apologies to all for jumping the gun with my critique and I hope it didn't spoil it for everyone.

Congratulations to xmilehigh, FISHiEE & Pete.

Colin
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Thanks for the clarification Colin. As I suspected (and hoped!) :)

Thanks to everyone for the votes.

Congratulations to xmilehigh for winning and to Pete for a great capture of a hard to find subject. Congratulations also to everyone else who entered for pushing us all to improve our photography further and show us things we may not all get to see. Glasses must be serving you well pete! :)

John
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Well done all, and congrats to the winners. :)
Here is my first effort at doing a critique! But I think ColinC has done a far better job.

So since I’m a bit of a numpty on the technical side of things, I have really based my critique on composition.
There are some great photographers on here, and I feel a bit of a fraud, trying to dish out advice, so please feel free to let it go in one ear and out the other!
It’s all very well criticising other peoples images out of ear shot, but writing them down for everyone to read, is not so easy!
I have tried to be short and sweet and as honest as I can and without being too rude! I can only hope none of you take offence, and please remember that this is only my opinion.

Pete Eeles – Holly Blue Larva
No faults on this superb image, nice one Pete! I was going to ask why you never saved this one for the immature stages, but I guess you have a few more lying around!

Padfield – Last of the summer wine
Would have preferred to see this one, with more space above the butterfly and also have the entire bee in the shot.

Xmilehigh - Comma
Not much to be said about this one, other than I liked it so much, you got my vote!

ColinC – summer 2008!
It’s sharp but a little dark and dreary, but seeing as the subject is so sad looking, that might have been intentional - to add to the mood?
Well done on doing something different though! And it’s the type of image which sums up the end of the season perfectly!

Shirley Roulston - Comma
Generally in critiques, people usually say, the eye and the antenna need to be pin sharp. For all we know, they could well be in this shot, but fortunatly we will never know as we are looking at it's backside.

Sylvia Godfrey – Small Copper
Ten out of ten for composition, you’ve framed it brilliantly, the eye is sharp, but the rest of the image is a just a little soft, and it’s just a tad over exposed.

Keith Woonton – Common Blue’s courting
Nice lighting on this one, perhaps a bit more of the plant showing and more space behind the male - but it would have been better if the female played ball and gave you a better angle.

Sussex Kipper - Small Tortoiseshell
A beautiful sharp Small Tort, with a great choice of angle.

Web4160
I quite like this one, just to get one sat still is an accomplishment in it’s self!
It’s a shame that the flowers a bit ghastly, but that’s just personal taste, and you can’t help where it lands!
Even though you have opted for an arty version here, you could just have well, brought it in a bit and it would still be a fine image.

Birdy43
You have a great plant, with great colours, brilliant lighting, and you had the perfect composition all there ready for the taking.
But………………..This image would have looked so much nicer, if you had captured, the two tall side flowers on the left of the shot, and have all the petals of the central flower, on show as well.
The butterfly needs sharpening, but that’s nothing major – I really hope you have cropped this and actually managed to capture all of the above; you just needed to stand off a bit and this would have been a superb arty image of a Small Copper!

Deano - Comma on morning glory
It’s a fine shot and the curly proboscis, has added some extra interest to the image. Perhaps it’s just me, but I reckon this one is a bit of an acquired taste?
A Comma on a blue flower, they just seem to clash - I suppose what I’m trying to say, is that it looks unnatural?

m_galathea - Adonis Blue (F)
Butterfly could do with turning just a fraction, but other than that a nice shot.

FISHIEE - Scarce Copper, Saas Fee, Switzerland
In a word - perfect! You got my vote.

Charles Nicol - Small Tortoiseshell in a Wheatfield
Strangely enough the wheat makes a very good backdrop. The subject is slightly soft around the head, but otherwise a nice shot.

Markulous - Perched Peacock
You and I both know that this is a superb, technically brilliant shot, and I love the way you had the decency to capture the tip of that leaf!
I expect this bit will go in one ear and out the other! - The only thing you could do to improve this already fantastic shot is to leave a slight gap to the left of the Peacock, its a little left hand side heavy, does that make sense?

Petergat - Speckled Wood on a Cape Daisy
Another strange combination, but this one works very well and the dark background is the making of this shot. Well taken Peter.

jellyang - Small Tortoiseshell
It’s positioned ok, but the image is slightly soft and dark. I wondered if it had been better, using the one flower and butterfly as the main feature only, and crop the rest out?

steve w - Comma
I think this one would be better if you cropped out, making sure you leave some space above the butterfly, add a few more berries in the frame, sharpen once, and you got yourself a great autumn image, with fantastic colours!

Mouse – Speckled Wood and Comma
I’m not sure I’m the best person to do a critique at all, let alone to someone who is partially sighted.
I guess you should be applauded for getting the butterflies in the frame to start with!
It’s always nice having two species in the same shot, the lighting is fine and the two butterflies are positioned well but they are a little soft.

Polly - Large White
Great shot Polly!

Antonym - Adonis Blue
This image would have worked better if you had blurred out the background, but as it stands, the grass makes it look messy, ruining the overall look.

Paul Kipling - Small Copper in Swaledale 14th September
The almost perfect picture!! Paul I really love this shot – the background, the plant, and butterfly all go together very well, but for me it was let down, by the Small Coppers wing slightly covering its face.
If only you had time to bend those knees!!

Denise - Speckled Wood
Only a fraction out of focus where it matters around the head, the rest is pin sharp, the colour is perfect, and a great choice of angle.

Paul Brock - Comma
I don’t think I have ever seen one with the green so prominent. Great shot Paul!

Gruditch
A well captured, Small Copper.

Ian Pratt - Red Admiral on Scabious
A pleasing shot, with a pristine subject, and nice flower heads blurred out into the background.
Just one point though – I personally feel, if you’re going to have the butterfly as a frame filler/ main central feature, it has to be pin sharp, and you really need to nail that head. You’re going tell me now that you were going for the soft dreamy look!

NickB - Brimstone
Nice one Nick!

Geniculata - red admiral at barton common new forest
The butterfly is a nice pristine example and wonderfully sharp and well placed in the frame, but I can’t help thinking that the background is making this image look over busy.

Dave McCormick - Small Tortoiseshell
You’re the reason I never used my third vote. I wanted to give you the vote, but it wasn’t quite right.
I’m not sure what’s in the background, but it’s make a very effective marbled look.
I really love this image, every thing just gels together, but it could have done with a bit more colour and a slight position change, but other than that, you created something I wish I had taken myself.

Marcinklysewicz – Small Copper
Sorry Marcin, I’m a big fan of yours, but Fishiee, nicked your vote this time round!
I absolutely loved this one, and you never fail to produce something amazing.
The colours, positioning and background are spot on, and I hope you don’t mind me saying, but the only thing I would have done, is to ‘photoshop’ out, that piece of plant, which looks like it’s propping him up under the chin. I know butterflies don’t really have chins but you know what I mean!

Eccles – Small White
Mike this is rubbish, is that the best you’ve got!!
No seriously – a fantastic shot and technically perfect.

So there you have it, sorry if I bored you all senseless!
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi Gwenhwyfar
I’m not sure I’m the best person to do a critique at all, let alone to someone who is partially sighted.
I guess you should be applauded for getting the butterflies in the frame to start with!
It’s always nice having two species in the same shot, the lighting is fine and the two butterflies are positioned well but they are a little soft.
Thanks for the good Critique, I didn't know there was two until I was told :wink:

I will bare that in mind next time and see what I can do :D

Em
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Hi,

Thank you all very much for the votes / critiques :D

Congratulations to everyone else that entered as they are all excellent photographs. Looking forward to seeing more of everybody's work in the future.

Thanks again.

Jerry
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Gwenhwyfar wrote:Pete Eeles – Holly Blue Larva
No faults on this superb image, nice one Pete! I was going to ask why you never saved this one for the immature stages, but I guess you have a few more lying around!
The reason I entered the Holly Blue larva was because that was the only sequence of photos I took in September!

Thanks for the detailed critique Lisa (and Colin)! And congrats also to xmilehigh. My critique below.

Cheers,

- Pete

Padfield – Last of the summer wine
A nice pair of bugs, and I like the backlighting. The background put me off a bit because it makes it look like the shot isn't level. Also, the bee seems to have been clipped.

Xmilehigh - Comma
This is a classic autumn shot to me - and a well-deserved winner. I liked the atmosphere created by seeing the Comma in such a true autumnal situation.

ColinC – summer 2008!
Apart from seeing such as sad-looking butterfly, I think the composition could be improved by placing the butterfly off-centre. Rule of thirds, and all that :)

Shirley Roulston - Comma
The colours in this shot are superb - a fantastic contrast between the Comma and the sky. I also like the angle of the butterfly and it's very sharp. Unfortunately, without seeing the head or antennae, this just doesn't work for me.

Sylvia Godfrey – Small Copper
Great shot. I would have liked to see more saturation of the colours - it looks a little washed out. One of the best-composed shots in the competition.

Keith Woonton – Common Blue’s courting
I liked this a lot - and very well-composed. It's a real shame that the individuals look the worse for wear. Also - the female's head is obscured which I think detracts from the shot.

Sussex Kipper - Small Tortoiseshell
Fantastic colours. I would have preferred more space above and to the right of the Small Tort myself. I guess, in my old age, I look for more scenic shots these days - and there's not a lot of space in this one.

Web4160
Technically very well executed - but the butterfly is bang in the centre of the shot. I personally prefer to see the butterfly offset from the centre in most images. And the nick on the hindwing is really annoying - but good on you for not filling it in in PhotoShop :)

Birdy43
Great shot - and very different. I think it would have looked better if the flowers to the left, and the flower that the Small Copper is resting on, hadn't been cropped.

Deano - Comma on morning glory
I like this a lot - and saw your original entry, which I wish you'd kept in, because I don't think you should have cropped the flowerhead. Also - this could have done with more depth-of-field.

m_galathea - Adonis Blue (F)
Well-executed shot although the subject could have been more obliging by having the forewing showing more.

FISHIEE - Scarce Copper, Saas Fee, Switzerland
Brilliant shot - the best Scarce Copper underside shot I've seen.

Charles Nicol - Small Tortoiseshell in a Wheatfield
The contrast is great in this shot. Again, I think the composition could have been improved by offsetting the butterfly from being bang in the middle of the photo.

Markulous - Perched Peacock
Brilliant shot. The whites seem a little burned out but, other than that, the fact that you have the entire frond in shot is great.

Petergat - Speckled Wood on a Cape Daisy
This was one of my favourites. Very atmospheric, and the sheen on the wings match the sheen on the flowerhead perfectly. And the colours are fantastic.

jellyang - Small Tortoiseshell
Great subject, but a little out of focus. Also, the flowerhead is cropped out which is distracting.

steve w - Comma
Great composition - but the out-of-focus wing tips are really distracting!

A very unusual shot - so well done for even managing two butterflies in the same photo! Great effort.

Polly - Large White
Love it! You've inspired me to get some super-macro photography done over the winter!

Antonym - Adonis Blue
An unusual angle - so well done for trying something different. I think this might have been better from a slightly different angle, though. I'd also have recomposed so that the shot is in portrait, rather than landscape, mode - and removed all of the dead space to the left and right of the subject.

Paul Kipling - Small Copper in Swaledale 14th September
Very nice shot Paul. The wing partially-obscuring the head is a bit annoying - but the photo is nice and sharp, and you get to see the subject in context too - with lots of interesting space around it.

Denise - Speckled Wood
Great shot - if only the head had been in focus, then this would have been one of the best Speckled Wood upperside shots I've seen! The leaf coming into the frame at the botton is annoying - I would have cropped it out.

Paul Brock - Comma
This is the best Comma underside shot I've seen - the colours are just beautiful. A little soft at the tips of the forewings - otherwise superb!

Gruditch
The composition and colours are brilliant. The wing tips are a little too soft for my liking - but I understand that this is the price of an out-of-focus background!

Ian Pratt - Red Admiral on Scabious
Beautiful out-of-focus background, and great colours on the butterfly. The annoying thing about this shot, though, is the antenna that's out-of-shot. Unfortunately, that single feature is really distracting!

NickB - Brimstone
Fantastic close up. Unfortunately, the out-of-focus proboscis is distracting since it's clearly one of the prominent features in the shot.

Geniculata - red admiral at barton common new forest
Great shot. The only comment is that the leaf behind the butterfly leads the eye away from the subject.

Probably your best entry to date, Dave. Well done. The only comment I have is that the shot could do with more saturation to bring the colours up a bit - it looks a little washed out as it stands. I'd also have recomposed slightly - with the butterfly to the right of centre.

Marcinklysewicz – Small Copper
Almost a brilliant shot. The problem I have with this shot is the thread from the plant to the butterfly. It makes it look like the butterfly has managed to impale itself!

Eccles – Small White
Lovely colours and composition! The only negative comment is that the butterfly looks as if it's holding on for dear life! Apart from that - lovely shot.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
eccles

Post by eccles »

Congrats to xmilehigh on the comma, a fine shot, well spotted in a great location. You're a good friend of mine and I suppose my excuse for not voting for your shot is that I might have been accused of favouritism. Still, you didn't need my paltry vote. :)

My votes went for Fishiee, Paul Kipling and Keith Woonton. The latter's shot didn't get many votes but it still impressed me simply because of the difficulty in taking such a picture.
Sylvia Godfrey

Post by Sylvia Godfrey »

Congratulations to all who took part, but especially to Xmilehigh, Fishee and Pete. All the submissions set the "bar" so high and for a novice, the shots are something to aspire to and offer a real challenge to match!! I'm now really looking forward to getting out there next year and taking lots more pictures.

I have found reading the critiques most helpful, not just in relation to my own submission but for all the others too. Its really useful to read your comments and be able to study the picutres they relate to, so thanks to ColinC, Gwenhwyfar and Pete for the time and effort you have taken.

Can I just add a big thanks, again, to Neil (Sussex Kipper) and Markulous, as having plucked up the courage to post some photo's back in August, they offered some really helpful and supportive advise. I have tried, since then, to remember their comments when taking my pictures, hopefully it's is beginning to show!!

Sylvia :D
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

It seems everyone wants to get in on this critique lark now!

Still, the more critique, the more we learn how we can improve :)
Deano

Post by Deano »

Thank you to all who've given constructive comments on my Comma on morning glory comp' entry.
Regards
Deano.
Keith Woonton

Post by Keith Woonton »

Firstly, I would like to congratulate xmilehigh for such a stunning winning shot and although it didn’t receive one of my three votes it was high on my shot list.
The quality of the pictures from so many of the entrants in this competition is simply breathtaking. Well done everyone, you all get my vote really because I know everyone is trying their best and really that’s what matters most.
Personally I find deciding on just three pictures to vote for quite heart wrenching and I literally spend hours going back and forth through all the entries as they all have merit in their own right. My votes are usually given firstly to those I find most aesthetically pleasing, then on their technical qualities and difficulty of subject. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. And we all look at slightly differently things in any given collection of photos, “and don’t that make it interesting.”

I would like to thank CollinC, Gwenhwyfar, Pete, Eccles and those who have commented in previous competitions, for your constructive criticisms advice and encouragement it all helps and is much appreciated.

Common Blue’s courting
ColinC wrote:I’m assuming that this was as taken which is why the image is too one sided. Expanding the canvas and cloning the background in photoshop would make this image outstanding.
I have to confess I did do a little work on this image using Paintshop Pro and also tried to take on board previous comments about having the subject to central, but it seams this time I took it to the extreme and over did it.
Gwenhwyfar wrote:Nice lighting on this one, perhaps a bit more of the plant showing and more space behind the male - but it would have been better if the female played ball and gave you a better angle.
The shot was taken laying on my belly ( getting a few strange looks ) through a very narrow window in the vegetation and the resulting photo had a few unsightly dead flower heads in the frame which is why the left and top of the shot was cropped to this position and as I said above I over did it with the right and bottom cropping. I will try to take this onboard next time I have a similar picture, thanks.
Pete Eeles wrote:I liked this a lot - and very well-composed. It's a real shame that the individuals look the worse for wear. Also - the female's head is obscured which I think detracts from the shot.
eccles wrote:and Keith Woonton. The latter's shot didn't get many votes but it still impressed me simply because of the difficulty in taking such a picture.
Thanks Pete and Eccles both very kind comments.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Probably your best entry to date, Dave. Well done. The only comment I have is that the shot could do with more saturation to bring the colours up a bit - it looks a little washed out as it stands. I'd also have recomposed slightly - with the butterfly to the right of centre.
Thanks Pete, but I actually hated the shot, under exposed, fills most of the frame (where it was it was the best shot I could have got) and a little not sharp enough for my liking. It was the best one I got in September, rest were not so good.

But I now am fully aquinted with my camera and lenes so I can start getting better shots, with practise and patience. I am hoping to find some moths this few months like satellite moth and winter moths etc... get some shots of them.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Competitions”