2008 Photography Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Neil Hulme

Re: 2008 Photography Competition

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Vince,
Congratulations on your winning entry. The male Purple Emperor on the ground was taken in Fermyn Wood (Northants). The caterpillar (and pupa - November comp) were both taken near Arundel. I'd rather not say where on a site accessible to all, as although I trust our contributors, there is always the possibility of attracting unwanted attention. This small colony relies heavily on a single, very obvious laying-sallow, and it's dead easy to locate the big, fat, juicy caterpillars at head height each spring. I have had problems with collectors in Sussex this year, but will have a chat when I see you next. I know you've recently signed up as a member of the Sussex Branch and when you get your 'events listing' for 2009, you will see that I'm running a whole week of PE trips. You are obviously welcome to attend and I'm hoping to lure some males down, both with the 'blessed belachan' and my new secret weapon, the as yet untried fish paste 'Shito' :shock: from Ghana :lol:
Neil
Attachments
bait_edited-1.jpg
bait_edited-1.jpg (228.76 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Oh... why only the mild and not the extra strong? ;)

How on earth did you come across that?!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi John,
A friend was visiting Ghana, persuading local school children to record butterflies on their patch. He came across this stuff but didn't really 'twig' the potential as a PE bait, bringing it back more for its 'tee-hee' value. I will of course be searching out the extra strong, super-disgusting, unfit for human consumption version. :D
Neil
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Could I ask you Neil if the folks in Ghana actually use that shito for cooking.
Shirley
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Shirley,
I believe that they do, although I'll be leaving the taste test to the Purple Emperor - he has a more sophisticated palate for shito.
Neil
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Excellent. I was very tempted to visit Ghana myself a couple of years back. It's on the very very long to-do list :)

If this stuff works I can take pre-orders! :)
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

You might have to declare it at the airport! Can you imagine if a custom's officer took the lid off to see what it was like, could clear the entire airport, even make the news :lol: 'SUBSTANCE FOUND IN TIN'.
shirley
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Haha I have been through airports with far worse. In Paris once I had to explain why I had a couple of dozen 12 inch rubber fish in my hand luggage after they scanned the bag and thought they were bunches of bananas which you weren't allowed to take through!
barney_s

Post by barney_s »

A belated contrats to everyone. There are some fantastic images I can only aspire to.

My brother's given me his Canon 10D and I'm saving up for a macro lens for Crimbo, so will hopefully be able to enter some shots of my own next year.

- B.
NickB

Post by NickB »

The number and quality of entries had me reeling this year! So difficult to choose - so I didn't! I just admired the work that others put in to get down to 3 in each category - all worthy winners!
Gwenhwyfar wrote: ...
I also thought the entry Nick B put in was just brilliant.
Wow! Praise indeed from someone who tries more than most to do "something different" and usually succeeds!
Thanks - it (the CB on a grass seed-head I presume) was one of my favourites for the year too! :P
Can't wait for next year....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Competitions”