What flowers to plant ??

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Matsukaze

Re: What flowers to plant ??

Post by Matsukaze »

I have been planting the garden for bumblebees too. Many of the butterfly nectar sources are good for them, as well. Yesterday there were half a dozen pascuorum (the ginger ones) visiting the flower-heads of devil's bit scabious. You can also find a fair number on buddleia bushes.

Bumblebees need to feed the whole length of the growing season and have to find suitable flowers at all times, though they will fly quite some distance for food - half a mile is not unusual - so there is no need to try and grow plants for every species at every time of year in the garden.

They gather a lot of pollen from members of the pea family, so visit broad beans and runner beans. If you can establish red clover and bird's foot trefoil in the lawn, they will use those. The longer-tongued species will use kidney vetch, which makes a fine rockery plant. I would expect them to use horseshoe vetch and sainfoin too.

Other excellent plants for them are viper's bugloss, foxglove, bugle and knapweeds.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I don't have any lack of bees in my garden, there are dozens and dozens of all different types. I am still trying to put together a list of what has been visiting but have failed horribly because there are just so many and they just won't pose for pictures! I can't identify many of them without good images. One thing I have noticed though is that they can be quite specific over which plants they feed from and again I am trying to work out which plants are preferred by which bees.
Susie

Post by Susie »

rd84 wrote:
Rosy Rustic wrote:If you can't find Fleabane anywhere else then try Naturescape, Paul.

http://www.naturescape.co.uk/acatalog/potplants1.html
I'm going to try locally - but otherwise I'll buy some seed from Naturescape for next year.

I was amazed to see Dandelion for sale at Naturescape !!!???? :shock: - still after the Budleia Dandelion at certain times is my second most popular plant for the butterflies !!

Cheers
Paul
Just a thought - if you have any growing locally to you then you could always collect some seed and grow it on yourself.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

I think that it is important to find out what type of garden you have as many plants will only grow well in certain conditions and also what butterflies ,insects and birds you might hope to attract. Mine are all grown to attract the local species but it might be very different where you are.
I have been trying for about 10 years with steady improvements every year. My garden is very heavy clay, as you might expect in The Potteries. My biggest successes in terms of plants are, in order;
Hemp Agrimony (american version) which grows 7ft tall, flowers from late July until late Sept and attracts masses of butterflies, bees and all insects. and is by far my number 1 plant.
Buddleia obvious
Nastursiums for Whites(caterpillars) and bees, grows to around 8-10 ft (trailing) and is good for growing through other shrubs. flowers July-Sept
Thistles most people treat them as a weed but I grew them deliberately this year in a clump and they were covered in bees (and butterflies on the odd sunny day) and personally I liked the purple flowers. flower June-mid Aug
Foxgloves bees flowers late April-mid July
Cotoneaster for early bees and blackbirds later for the berries. Flowers April, Berries Aug+ , a shrub that comes in various sizes and types.
Sedum a dark red version low growing flowers Aug-Oct+

All of these were instant successes and very easy to grow and are either perenial or self seed quite easy. I do have a lot of others but these were the run-away leaders, and stick with the bird boxes as I regularly have sparrows,blue tits, great tits, and robins all nesting in the garden and it seems that once they have nested the first year they then keep coming back, if they haven't used them in the second year try moving them to a different site or facing a different direction.
Martin

Post by Martin »

A plant I find b/flies love that I havn't seen mentioned yet is Red Valerian.
rd84

Post by rd84 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the ideas - I have a clay like soil in my garden - so it sounds like your suggestions will be useful for me.

Cheers
Paul
Dave S wrote:I think that it is important to find out what type of garden you have as many plants will only grow well in certain conditions and also what butterflies ,insects and birds you might hope to attract. Mine are all grown to attract the local species but it might be very different where you are.
I have been trying for about 10 years with steady improvements every year. My garden is very heavy clay, as you might expect in The Potteries. My biggest successes in terms of plants are, in order;
Hemp Agrimony (american version) which grows 7ft tall, flowers from late July until late Sept and attracts masses of butterflies, bees and all insects. and is by far my number 1 plant.
Buddleia obvious
Nastursiums for Whites(caterpillars) and bees, grows to around 8-10 ft (trailing) and is good for growing through other shrubs. flowers July-Sept
Thistles most people treat them as a weed but I grew them deliberately this year in a clump and they were covered in bees (and butterflies on the odd sunny day) and personally I liked the purple flowers. flower June-mid Aug
Foxgloves bees flowers late April-mid July
Cotoneaster for early bees and blackbirds later for the berries. Flowers April, Berries Aug+ , a shrub that comes in various sizes and types.
Sedum a dark red version low growing flowers Aug-Oct+

All of these were instant successes and very easy to grow and are either perenial or self seed quite easy. I do have a lot of others but these were the run-away leaders, and stick with the bird boxes as I regularly have sparrows,blue tits, great tits, and robins all nesting in the garden and it seems that once they have nested the first year they then keep coming back, if they haven't used them in the second year try moving them to a different site or facing a different direction.
rd84

Post by rd84 »

Martin wrote:A plant I find b/flies love that I havn't seen mentioned yet is Red Valerian.
Thanks Martin.

Cheers
Paul
rd84

Post by rd84 »

Hi,
Someone else suggested Birs Foot Trefoil as well - so I'm going to try that next year. I'll probably tryyour other suggestions as well.

I'm going to try as many plants as possible then observe whats popular - assuming there are any Butterflies around next year - they''ve been very rare this year. Anyway they'll need as much help as possible so altho' I'm not a gardener I'll do my best.

Cheers
Paul
Matsukaze wrote:I have been planting the garden for bumblebees too. Many of the butterfly nectar sources are good for them, as well. Yesterday there were half a dozen pascuorum (the ginger ones) visiting the flower-heads of devil's bit scabious. You can also find a fair number on buddleia bushes.

Bumblebees need to feed the whole length of the growing season and have to find suitable flowers at all times, though they will fly quite some distance for food - half a mile is not unusual - so there is no need to try and grow plants for every species at every time of year in the garden.

They gather a lot of pollen from members of the pea family, so visit broad beans and runner beans. If you can establish red clover and bird's foot trefoil in the lawn, they will use those. The longer-tongued species will use kidney vetch, which makes a fine rockery plant. I would expect them to use horseshoe vetch and sainfoin too.

Other excellent plants for them are viper's bugloss, foxglove, bugle and knapweeds.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi rd84,
If you would like some birds-foot trefoil seeds, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll post you some.
I also have some extra field scabious seeds if you would like them.

Cheers
Denise
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

I forgot to mention earlier, I have a patch of bluebells but I have yet to see a single butterfly on them in about 8 years. They still look good though and are very in keeping with a natural British garden and give some nice early colour to the garden in a fairly shady spot.
cheers Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

Although not a particularly good butterfly plant as far as I am aware something that is good for other insects in a shady spot is lungwort (pulmonaria). It is one of my favourite spring flowers.

Garlic Mustard and Sweet Rocket can grow in shade too, although the butterflies prefer the flowers that are in sunshine.
rd84

Post by rd84 »

Susie wrote:Although not a particularly good butterfly plant as far as I am aware something that is good for other insects in a shady spot is lungwort (pulmonaria). It is one of my favourite spring flowers.

Garlic Mustard and Sweet Rocket can grow in shade too, although the butterflies prefer the flowers that are in sunshine.

Hi,

These suggestions will be useful because quite a lot of my garden is in the shade. I'll give them a try next season.

Cheers
Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

I planted one border with blanket flower, rudbekia, vebena, etc., and it is still providing plenty of colour and nectar.

These photos were taken yesterday:-

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Susie, is that Gaillardia in the first photo?
largered260605_004.jpg
largered260605_004.jpg (183.46 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Susie

Post by Susie »

It looks very much like it to me. :D
rd84

Post by rd84 »

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone who gave me advice on attracting butterflies to the garden. It looks like a much better year for butterflies than last year. I've seen more so far than I saw all of last year. Lots of different types as well. Their favourite flower still seems to be the dandelion tho' !! :) so it seems areas of uncut lawn will be needed.
I'm in NW Leiecstershire and there seems to be a lot of butterflies wherever I go. At least this year my garden is hopefully a lot more welcoming to them.

I'm also getting a lot more bees than last year as well.

Cheers
Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

Dandelions are part of the aster family so if you plant other flowers from this group you can prolong the flowering season.

Good luck with your garden. :D
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I've just had a quick look at my photos and as an experiment looked on the gallery on this website http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/index.asp
so far the flower list is
dandelion
bramble
forget-me-knot
scabious
hemp agrimony
honesty
knapweed
buddliea (different varieties)
marjoram
verbena bonariensis
ragwort
white bryony
spear thistle
red valerian
trefoil
common vetch
blackthorn
michaelmas daisy
betony
eyebright
scentless mayweed

there will be others of course but like i say just did it as a quick experiment.

Chris
Susie

Post by Susie »

Is that what you have planted or what you have had success with?

I keep meaning to write my own plant list but it is a daunting task.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Susie,
this was just me browsing the website mentioned and noting what flowers the butterflies wer photographed feeding on. though i did forget lavender. but looking at the list again the only ones i haven't got in the garden somewhere are scentless mayweed, white bryony and not seen any eyebrights. the garden list would be quite a bit longer though not as long as yours :D
though i am looking forward to seeing my latest purchase of the perennial echium rubrum will be any good for the bees
Chris

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”