Canon, Nikon or Sony ?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Adrian Hoskins

As I suspected !

Post by Adrian Hoskins »

:shock: Crikey, I've stirred up a hornet's nest here haven't I ?

:? Somehow I thought that a "battle" over which brand of camera to buy would attract as much, or more, response than an item about butterflies or conservation !

Let's forget all this talk about Nikon being better than Canon, or about Sony not being up to the same standard. It's all pointless. The whole idea of a camera surely is to take PICTURES with it :!: , and ANY digital camera produced by the major manufacturers is more than up to the job.

:) Canon, Nikon and Pentax all have massive systems of lenses both their own and independent makes such as Sigma and Tamron. Sony, contrary to anything on this page, also have a massive lens system ( Sony DSLRs accept ALL Minolta autofocus lenses, and they are proven to be optically and mechanically the equal of Canon and Nikon ).

I've used Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony DSLRs. I've also used Canon, Olympus, Contax, Leica, Minolta, Yashica and Nikon film cameras for many years. All suffer from design faults :evil: , all suffer from mechanical or electronic failure from time to time :evil: , so all this business about one brand being better than another is a bit daft.

It's far more important to just choose a camera that is affordable, fits YOUR hands well, and has a viewfinder and set of knobs or menus that suits you. If it feels right, using it will be more pleasurable and instinctive, and you'll get better photographs.

Photographs ? Yes that's what we should be concentrating on, not equipment, which was the point of my original topic. :wink:
http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com

"promoting the conservation of butterflies and their habitats worldwide"

"entertaining and educating butterfly enthusiasts at every level"
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

So Adrian, you're saying the canon is better???? :wink:
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

So Adrian, you're saying the canon is better????
I got that impression too....
Go Canon yeah!
:D :twisted:
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you cut me in half, like a stick of rock I'd read Canon, but sorry guys, the new Nikon D300 is top of the tree at moment (IMHO), even better than their D3.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Back to Adrian's point - the biggest factor, by far, in getting a good photo is the nut behind the viewfinder (the photographer) ... :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

I have had my D300 since just before christmas, and am absolutely delighted with it, it is streets ahead of my D200, and I was pleased with that !
Cant wait for the Butterfly season to kick off to put it in action on our favourite insects :)
Regards Mike
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Pete Eeles wrote:Back to Adrian's point - the biggest factor, by far, in getting a good photo is the nut behind the viewfinder (the photographer) ... :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Totally agree and is what I said some where in my previous ravings :lol:
Regards Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have to confess that the 'newish' Nikon Macro lens with VR (or IS as we Canonites call it) is a lovely bit of kit, and Canon are sure to follow the lead soon - or even Sigma?.
If I was to start from scratch right now that lens alone wuld put Nikon on the top of my list!
See - I am able to be subjective.

Roger

(Some people just seem to spend all thier life on the Naughy Step!)
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

When I got my first D-SLR, it was a close call between Nikon and Canon, the Canon 300D won out in the end only because it had a £100 cash back !.
I think that most people who are buying their first D-SLR, especially on-line, will usually go for the best deal they can get, or what ever their best mate, "who knows a lot about cameras" recommends. If they are buying from a high street shop, they will probably come out with what ever the salesman recommends, or is told to recommend !.
My 300D is sadly no more and my second hand 10D is getting a bit dated and worn. The big question for me as I look to buy my new camera, isn't Canon or Nikon, as I made that decision with my first D-SLR, its "Do I go FULL FRAME :?

Gruditch
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you're thinking about a 5D Gary it might be worth hanging on a bit...the 5DmarkII must be due soon.

Martin.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have heard it is the 7D, and due this autumn.
Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Still the same question though, do I go full frame :? Or should I buy the 4OD (which I've had a quick go with and loved) and think about going full frame in 4 or 5 years time. Or should I give it more consideration now :?:
Can't wait till Autum Roger, 10D on last legs :cry:

Gruditch
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Gary
There are a number of reasons IMHO to stick with cropped frame.
1. For the same magnification (e.g. butterfly filling the frame) there is greater depth of field from the cropped sensor.
2. You are further away from a potentially wary subject (using the same lens e.g. 150mm).
3. For us wildlife types, there is real need for long lenses - you will lose reach with all your lenses.
4. Of course you can crop to make up for this, but then end up with (roughly) the same amount of pixels - so no benefit from full frame.
5. Any EF-S lenses become redundant.
6. Cropped frame bodies tend to be smaller and lighter than full frame - an important consideration when carrying your kit around for a full day in the field.
7. The difference in price is considerable, leaving spare cash for accessories etc.
8. Lastly - see if you can get a print from a full frame camera at, say, A3, and compare with a print from a cropped frame sensor at A3 - I doubt you will see any significant difference.
However - with full frame-
1. Your wide lenses become wide again - great for landscapes and interiors.
2. Full frame bodies often have more rugged build (Pro or Semi Pro rather than Prosumer)
3. and more features (except for the 5D - but it is ancient and due for replacement)
4. If you plan on selling your pictures, some agencies insist on 12mp.
So - you pays your money, you makes your choice.
Which ever way you go, you will still take great pictures!!
See you in March.

Roger.

Love to Lisa and Wiggles.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Cheers Roger, you sold me the 40D with no 1, you know how I like to use my x1.4. :wink:

Gruditch
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hamearis

Post by Hamearis »

I am just about to call the bank manager!
:cry: :wink:
Hamearis
COLIN BAKER

Bank Manager

Post by COLIN BAKER »

Dont bother Hamearis they are never in.Easier to find a Dodo!!

Sorry couldn't resist it and sorry to any bank manager on the forum.

Cheers

Colin
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Nice but not for me, like the 400D its tiny and plastic :!:
After handerling the 10D and 30D for a while, my old 300D felt quite cheep and nasty :D

Gruditch
Will

Post by Will »

I was told this week that the successor to the 5D will not be a full frame DSLR for economic reasons. The chap who told me said that he had bought himself his 5D just before Xmas as soon as he had heard, because he wanted to go full frame at a reasonable price.
Will
Adrian Hoskins

It's great being a dinosaur !

Post by Adrian Hoskins »

Hi all

:D Nice to see that most of you missed the point, which is that it doesn't matter which camera you get, they are all more than up to the job, but all of them suffer from design faults or unreliability to some extent :roll: , and whatever you buy will be superceded by something "better" before you've even unwrapped it :!:

I'm going to wind you up even more now, because although I own a Nikon DSLR, I prefer using a Sony, and worse still, I only use DSLRs for shots intended for my website. DSLRs are extremely convenient for this purpose, unlike film.

Film ! What's that :?: It's the stuff I use for all my serious photography ! When I want stuff quick for the website, or when I need to e-mail shots to taxonomists in the tropics ( that's where I do most of my photography ), then I use digital.

But when I want QUALITY projected images ( and for me, they are far more life-like than a print can ever be ), film is the only choice, so dump your DSLRs boys, and get a REAL camera ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun
Adrian
http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com

"promoting the conservation of butterflies and their habitats worldwide"

"entertaining and educating butterfly enthusiasts at every level"

Return to “Photography”