Fermyn Woods

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Hi Ted,
You'll be right at the tail end of the season and my information is that they are most likely to be seen at ground level during the early part of the season. So if you are planning a special journey, perhaps next year would be a better option. However, I stand to be corrected by those that know the site better than me.
David
DJT
TedP

Post by TedP »

Thanks for your comments David. It won't be a special trip - just some miles off route so it's probably going to be worthwhile even if only as a recce.
Dark Green Frit on buddleia in garden this morning!
Ted.
Charles Nicol

it's that time again !!

Post by Charles Nicol »

Went to Fermyn this am and saw one, possibly two, of the Emperors...this one was enjoying an Elevenses of dog poopies

on the track at SP 960855
4751771499_26cc7e2134_z.jpg
4752411774_3ddda6a3cd_z.jpg
Charles

:D :D
Jack Harrison

Re: Fermyn Woods

Post by Jack Harrison »

Somebody told me once that an expert (turdologist) can tell the difference between dog poo and fox poo.

So Charles, you really should have noted whether the end of the “object” was pointed (fox) or rounded (dog) :)

I’m going to Fermyn on Friday.

Jack
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

the actual poo was not the freshest offering on the track.... so it was difficult to analyse the morphology accurately.

i am off again to Fermyn in a mo....

maybe see some of you there !!

Charles

:) :)
Piers

Post by Piers »

It's got to be dog. I should know I've trodden in enough.... :twisted:

Felix.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Arrived at Fermyn Woods at 0930...Jack was already there...Graeme arrived next with his enormous equipment then Antonym & his friend turned up

the weather was far from ideal ( = pants )
...no action of note until 2:30pm when the sun broke through & the Emperors came down to the track.

We saw 2 or 3 including one which was guzzling on some Belachan paste on the log stack.

Charles

:D :D
4754710211_218a557c5d_z.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I moved to the other track and had luck a little earlier. See blog:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4056&p=34095#p34095

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Charles Nicol wrote:Arrived at Fermyn Woods at 0930...no action of note until 2:30pm when the sun broke through & the Emperors came down to the track.
I have nothing but admiration for those that put the effort in to get out and be patient. Your just rewards will come! I've said it before and will no doubt say it again, but those that get good photos, find an unusual aberration or see unusual behaviour, are those that make the effort. Of course there's luck involved, but I'm a firm believer in making your own luck. So - well done! If you can hold down a job and a relationship at the same time, then that's even more impressive :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Charles,
Good to see that your Purple Emporer shots turned out well, the butterfly really did sit beautifully on that log.
I have yet to check my results! With any luck I shall be able to take a drive to Fermyn by myself and give it another shot.
Lovely meeting you,
Em
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Hi Jack,

Fantastic photos of the Purple Emperor.

Sandra
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

KeynvorLogosenn wrote:Charles,
Good to see that your Purple Emporer shots turned out well, the butterfly really did sit beautifully on that log.
I have yet to check my results! With any luck I shall be able to take a drive to Fermyn by myself and give it another shot.
Lovely meeting you,
Em
Thanks Em !! It was well worth the wait. It would be lovely to see your & Antonym's pics too.

Charles

:)
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Charles Nicol wrote:Arrived at Fermyn Woods at 0930...no action of note until 2:30pm when the sun broke through & the Emperors came down to the track.
I have nothing but admiration for those that put the effort in to get out and be patient. Your just rewards will come! I've said it before and will no doubt say it again, but those that get good photos, find an unusual aberration or see unusual behaviour, are those that make the effort. Of course there's luck involved, but I'm a firm believer in making your own luck. So - well done! If you can hold down a job and a relationship at the same time, then that's even more impressive :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Thanks Pete...there is something special about Fermyn Woods even when the weather is awful ...

Charles

:)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Now where did that Purple Emperor go?
Jack
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Went to Fermyn for the early shift... arrived at 0830. it was very sunny but windy too.

by 10 am the Emperors were making merry on the track.

Graeme spotted a young gentleman with a strimmer :shock: :shock: :shock: who thought that the vegetation was inconvenient for cyclists... He was left in no doubt about our opinion on the matter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plenty of White Admirals around as well.

Charles

:) :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Emperor Weekend - back of envelope sums

Fermyn had at least 25 visitors each day, most people taking perhaps 25 shots of “His Majesty”. That totals 1,250 photos taken at Fermyn alone.

Add to that the other hotspots such as Bentley, Southwater, Alice Holt makes a total of some 5,000 Emperor photos. I suspect that is a very conservative estimate. It can of course never be proved, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if in excess of 10,000 Emperor photos were taken over weekend 3rd & 4thJuly.

Jack
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Jack Harrison wrote:Somebody told me once that an expert (turdologist) can tell the difference between dog poo and fox poo.
Coprologist.

At least, that's what it should be, though my dictionary tells me coprology is the study of obscenity in speech.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

padfield wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote:Somebody told me once that an expert (turdologist) can tell the difference between dog poo and fox poo.
Coprologist.

At least, that's what it should be, though my dictionary tells me coprology is the study of obscenity in speech.

Guy
and his assistant would be ....a number two ?

Charles

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Piers

Post by Piers »

Jack Harrison wrote:Emperor Weekend - back of envelope sums

Fermyn had at least 25 visitors each day, most people taking perhaps 25 shots of “His Majesty”. That totals 1,250 photos taken at Fermyn alone.

Add to that the other hotspots such as Bentley, Southwater, Alice Holt makes a total of some 5,000 Emperor photos. I suspect that is a very conservative estimate. It can of course never be proved, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if in excess of 10,000 Emperor photos were taken over weekend 3rd & 4thJuly.

Jack
Never has photographing turds been so popular.

Felix.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Felix wrote:
Never has photographing turds been so popular.

Felix.
not since the Labour Party Conference ended

Charles

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Sites”