Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

Such a joy to see SPBFs thriving in the south-east of the UK, Trevor. Lots of hard work has gone into making this possible so one hopes that the venture will prove a self-sustaining success going forward.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Andrew & Kev. I've only recently discovered the delights
of the low evening sun, preferring early morning for 'quiet ' Butterflies.
I must say the golden quality of the setting sun does add another dimension
to images that full daylight lacks.
Look as though Ill be out early and late in future !.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

IT'S ALMOST TIME TO PREPARE YOUR CHOSEN FRAGRANCE.............
Attachments
PARFUM  POUR  HOMME
PARFUM POUR HOMME

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Classy stuff Trevor :shock: :lol: , hopefully you'll be beating them off with a stick :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

July approaches and the unexpected smell of the sea wafts over leafy Surrey... Yep, it's Trevor OHMS... :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:IT'S ALMOST TIME TO PREPARE YOUR CHOSEN FRAGRANCE.............
I see you're primed and ready to go, Trevor! :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Isle of Wight visit 6/6 2018, more tomorrow, I'm a bit knackered after a long drive.
Attachments
The weather was a vast improvement over last week.
The weather was a vast improvement over last week.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the next set of posts, at least I think I am? :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Travel arrangements for the trip to the Isle of Wight yesterday went like clockwork.
I was even able to recall my mental map of the island's roads, so no wasted time getting lost.
Wheelers bay was the first destination, and there was Butterfly action from the start.
After half an hour or so it became clear that finding Glanvilles in good condition was going to be difficult.
Indeed all that were in good condition were the females, most males were severely worn. This was the
case at all three sites visited.
The next stop was Shepherds Chine, here I witnessed chases that would have been impossible when the
Glanvilles first emerged several weeks ago. ie, Glanville and Large Skipper/ Meadow Brown and Small Heath.
This demonstrated the transitional period we are now in.
On to Compton Bay, where even more land has slipped into the sea, since my last visit. As it was now
mid afternoon and quite hot, attempts at photography was useless, so it was over to the ice cream van !.

Anyone thinking of visiting the IOW for Glanvilles, perhaps next year would a better bet.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1160645.JPG
P1160754.JPG
P1160657.JPG
P1160587.JPG
P1160590.JPG
Poor old chap !.
Poor old chap !.
P1160702.JPG
The crumbling cliffs of Compton Bay.
The crumbling cliffs of Compton Bay.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you got your Glannies Trevor :D :mrgreen: Also like the way that as the sequence progresses they get more and more aged :D Interestingly a couple have been seen at nearby Battlesbury Hill - obvious releases but who knows, they might just take :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I started out very early this morning to Park Corner Heath and Rowland wood.
The Small Pearls were hard to find, but before home time five were found, two were basking,
and the other three were very lively, despite the early hour.
The next find was five Large Skippers, all were easy to approach.
The best discovery of the morning, and a new species for me this year, was a very fresh male
Meadow Brown. This Butterfly was significant because it not only allowed close approach, but
opened right up before my eyes. Normally Meadow Browns can be quite tricky,
( at least I find them difficult at times ).

I was back home at 10.15 in time for morning coffee !

Trevor.
Attachments
P1160869.JPG
P1160835.JPG
P1160883.JPG
P1160857.JPG
P1160702.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta set of shots Trevor :D I know what you mean about Meadow Browns, I think it was DavidM that pointed that they only seem to open up much later in the season when they're worn or tatty, this time of year when they're resplendent with an oily sheen they sit there wings tightly shut. What a bunch of Primadonnas, it's only a Brown afterall :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

It's good to see that the Small Pearls seem to be doing well down there Trevor, I remember your comments when I have seen them further north and in Cornwall lamenting the fact that they had vanished down your way.

Great report from the IoW as well, the recent spells of hot weather certainly seem to have brought things on somewhat from what was a late spring to what seems to be a slightly advanced early summer.

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel and Neil. Fingers crossed for the Small Pearls future.
A mid afternoon visit to the Cuckoo trail, in Hailsham, found many
squabbling Speckled Woods, which for once proved useful, by sending up.
a Meadow Brown which was in an imposible position for a shot, and it landed
in an ideal position, and better still, opened it's wings fully.
A single Large Skipper was also present.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1160889.JPG
P1160892.JPG
P1160905.JPG
P1160899.JPG
P1160897.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Have you been getting tips on butterfly whispering from Dave Trevor? :wink: Great stuff :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

It's tricky getting open wing shots of Meadow Browns early in the season so well done there, Trevor. Nice to see a female Large Skipper too. They're far less often observed than the males.

Good effort with the Glanvilles too. That must have made you happy.

God alone knows what that sixth one in your sequence had been up to during its life...it must have fought every passing insect to look as bedraggled as that!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've just had a phone call ( 20.50 ) informing me that the first Purple Emperor
has been seen at Bookham Common.

Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

trevor wrote:I've just had a phone call ( 20.50 ) informing me that the first Purple Emperor
has been seen at Bookham Common.

Trevor.
Early again like last year. I do hope they're willing to settle on the ground like last year too!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

You had better get a season ticket, Paul.

Return to “Personal Diaries”