Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Nick, glad you're enjoying my diary. I am finding the WLH rearing a great learning experience with all the information that is being provided via both my diary and emails. Like you I have seen no butterflies yet, but hey, it won't be long now :D . Thank you for your comment.

Good to hear from you Jamie. That theory is extremely interesting and even if it doesn't relate to WLH I have learned something new :D . There are so many factors to consider, aren't there? This cat continues to grow on a daily basis and if he continues to develop like this he'll be a butterfly by the end of the month! :roll: I have been taking photos almost daily apart from the few days he went missing which was around Day 4 and, other than this, I am struggling to identify those times when he went through a skin change as he always seems active, even during the night! Looking at him today I could believe he is now in his final instar? (he is 19 days old today). However, he is still showing no interest in leaves, his preference definitely being seed pods:
P1730447ad.jpg
P1730449ad.jpg
P1730453ad.jpg
P1730455ad.jpg
By comparison, here is No 4 who is now 12 days old and has been kept in the same conditions:
P1730441ad.jpg
Thank you Goldie. Hope these are OK :D :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

He's certainly got much larger Pauline and what a lovely colour of Green, did you look again for the Moth cat?
Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Great, that is pleasing to hear. I would agree, many factors could be aiding it's speed up development. The changes from one day to the next are amazing, just comparing images to the previous post you can see that the markings have developed and are alot more prominent. What you suggest might be a possibility, I do think looking at the caterpillar that it does have some room to still grow, based on looking at final instars like Pete's photos, this suggest a smaller head to body ratio, I don't think this fully applies to this individual yet. Other than this it looks like it still has alot of colouring up to do. I can believe the trouble of keeping track of the instars. Final instars, from looking at photos look a much darker green then turn a dark brown colour leading into pupation. It will be interesting to see how things play out, I wish you all the best.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You are quite correct Jamie. It is apparent now that he was in his 3rd instar as the last couple of days he has been motionless, preparing to moult. The others are still tiny and I am even wondering if it could be a genetic abnormality. Is it possible that occurrences such as these happen naturally in the wild but go unnoticed as they are so rare and 'out of time' so to speak. I would naturally blame myself except for the fact that the others seem to be developing naturally? I am at a loss to understand. Anyway, a couple of recent shots as he prepares to shed his skin and the camouflage as usual is amazing:
P1730486ad.jpg
P1730516ad.jpg
There is a lot going on here and for various reasons I have not yet managed any shots of my Glanvilles - until today! I am really enjoying watching these cats develop and big thanks must go to Martin for allowing me the opportunity. I only managed a couple of quick shots so just for the record:
P1730595ad.jpg
P1730611ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have searched Goldie but I could not find him :( . However, I did find another one which is slightly different from the other one in appearance and also moves in a slightly different way. I shall try to rear him thru to see what it is:
P1730642ad.jpg
This is the 3rd day that No 1 has been motionless but this morning I discovered him eating his shed skin. I was slightly disappointed not to have seen the skin being shed but I have other chances for that. I tried to take shots from various angles but it was a bit tricky as it seemed like most of the skin was underneath him and wedged by a branch:
P1730663ad.jpg
P1730679ad.jpg
P1730698ad.jpg
P1730816ad.jpg
P1730832ad.jpg
P1730849ad.jpg
P1730864ad.jpg
No 4 is just over 2 weeks old now:
P1730854ad.jpg
P1730857ad.jpg
No 2 is a day older than No 4:
P1730871ad.jpg
No 3 was in an awkward position this morning making photos impossible but he is identical to No 4.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I could not resist taking a few more shots as he began to do a few twirls, showing off his new outfit, before settling down to eat his seed pod:
P1730925ad.jpg
P1730929ad.jpg
P1730902ad.jpg
P1730912ad.jpg
P1730918ad.jpg
P1730920ad.jpg
P1730923ad.jpg
I had forgotten how difficult it is to get a shot of green on green that is in focus :roll:

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Hi Pauline, that's a fascinating possibility in regards to genetic abnormality. I think your doing an amazing job, especially when you consider that without your intervention these would have all failed. Incredible sequences of the caterpillar eating the moult and the movement around the seedpod. Even now looking at your photos (which are stunning!) I think the caterpillar is still not close to maturity. It's great to see a few members rearing this species with success, hard to find the time to follow everyone. Including myself, I haven't mentioned it but I'm also following the development of White-letter Hairstreak, both as eggs which haven't hatched yet, being in Brighton and the chilling winds off the sea it makes sense that mine are later to emerge. I'll post something of them once (if) they hatch. All the best, Jamie

:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your very kind words Jamie. I am astonished how much No 1 is eating and the rate at which he is growing on a daily basis. However, he is still ignoring leaves but demolishing whole flowers leaving just the brown outer bits. At this rate he will emerge a butterfly with a 10" wing span!!! Unfortunately, when collecting some fresh branches I inadvertently brought back another cat. Interestingly, he is only slightly smaller than the other 3 I have - once I manage to get a shot of him I shall post a comparison.

It is been a cold, grey day here in Liphook but I took a quick look around the 'immatures' I have here. I have not checked my (86) Large White pupa for ages. Most of them looked like this:
P1730973ad.jpg
but one of them was much darker (the photo has been lightened quite a bit as it is a very dark brown). I thought perhaps it had died but it seems to be alive and I didn't think they darkened prior to emergence:
P1730971ad.jpg
On April 1st last year Guy prompted me to check my White Admirals and sure enough they were out and about. Because of other priorities here I haven't checked them either this year. I had expected that with the violent storms, the persistent rain and gales they would have perished. It was just a quick look but this one at least seems to have made it through the worst of the weather:
P1730994ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I hope you don't have too many enthusiastic vegetable gardeners around you, or you'll be in trouble when you release all those Large Whites :lol:

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Pauline I don't know how you keep up with all the cats, I'm sure I'd for get which was which inspite of colour etc. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Never thought about that Mike! Mind, it'll make a change from them complaining about my cockerel :wink: :lol:

Yes, Goldie, plenty to keep me occupied here :D Thank you for your kind comment.

I think this Green Giant has been eating a certain brand of vegetables because I can think of no other reason for his size. I have offered him branches with leaves but he climbs over the leaves, his preference being for the flowers and buds which he is now demolishing, leaving the twigs bare :shock:
P1740037ad.jpg
P1740023ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

That cat has certainly got fat over the past few days, Pauline. Looking forward to seeing how they all develop.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

He looks like a monster cat in your pics Pauline!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Can't wait Pauline to see that cat has a Butterfly :D Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

David, you're absolutely right and I share your anticipation :shock:

Hi Buggy, I measured this cat last night and he was just over 2cm - that was quite stretched out mind. I tried to get a shot next to a tape measure but he just hunched up!

Me too Goldie! I am spending a fair bit of time on the cats just now as the weather here is abysmal and although I have been out and about a bit, it has been really cold and I haven't seen one butterfly yet. So different to last year :( . I have just been looking thru' last years' shots and at this exact moment to the day and hour, having already seen several species, I was taking this shot (which is one of my favourites simply because I hadn't seen that before and it was a first for me):
P1240312xd.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot Pauline, It's so unusual for you in the South not to have seen many, if any, Butterflies yet. That's usually a trite for the North :o I can only hope that with them being so late down there I might just get to see some thing when I come down there in June :)
If it's any consolation we're back in the cold weather here, the fore cast doesn't look good for us over Easter either, where has Spring gone. :(
I've just got my permits for Gait Barrow and Roudsea Wood and Mosses Nature Reserve. The last two I've never been to before but they seem to have Silver Washed Frits there as well as Large Heath which is interesting, they're in Cumbria too which makes it much easier for me to get to.
Hope the weather improves for you soon Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie. It really does seem a lot colder than previous recent years - and grey too. Wouldn't be so bad if it was cold and bright. On 15 April last year I was taking photos of Dukes and that's not too far away now so it will be interesting to see how the season pans out this year. In the meantime I have managed to get some shots of my little stow-a-way - the one I call No 6 who was brought in accidentally recently on fresh branches:
P1740089ad.jpg
P1740091ad.jpg
P1740093ad.jpg
P1740096ad.jpg
P1740109ad.jpg
I would have liked to get an up to date shot of No 4 (my smallest) by way of comparison, but the best I could do today was a shot of No 2 (my second largest):
P1740120ad.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Absolutely fantastic shots, Pauline. Our elms are nowhere near bursting yet. We have butterflies on the wing but dormant caterpillars - you have dormant butterflies but caterpillars happily munching away. The seasons work very differently in the UK from central Europe!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

This entire reportage is simply wonderful, Pauline. It has already become a daily 'must see' for me here in Swansea. These images are worthy of a far wider audience.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Padfield wrote:Absolutely fantastic shots, Pauline. Our elms are nowhere near bursting yet. We have butterflies on the wing but dormant caterpillars - you have dormant butterflies but caterpillars happily munching away. The seasons work very differently in the UK from central Europe!

Guy
I have around 15 elms near me, and only 2 have burst into life thus far, although the flower buds are still fairly compact; I think the south coast must have a very different climate!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Personal Diaries”