Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: Trevor

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely PBF's Trevor, good to see the Walls back as well. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: I'm itching to get over to Bentley even though last weekend was too early, seeing these shots and knowing that we're a week behind has filled me with hope :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina, Andrew & Wurzel. I hope you will also enjoy the fruits of today's expedition.

Weather, ideal for a further afield Butterfly trip, greeted me early this morning.
ie, A lovely blue sky with plenty of fluffy white cloud and a reasonable temperature.
Hoping to find several new species for this season, I set off for Kithurst flower meadow.
As I arrived so did a large party, led by Neil Hulme. My immediate thought was that
things might be a little cosy, but all had a fabulous time, with some seeing a
Duke of Burgundy for the first time.

Both the Duke and Duchess were present in small numbers, and all were fresh.
As the morning wore on the number of Dinghy Skippers seemed to build, and
later still a magnificent female Green Hairstreak was seen searching Dogwood
flower buds. After much flitting about she finally selected a suitable cluster of buds,
and kept mine and Neils camera very busy, as she deposited her eggs.

With some time to spare I the headed over to Chiddingfold forest, having heard that
the Wood Whites were out. Unfortunately timber extraction work is taking place,
and parking in Fisher lane, by the two entrances is suspended. Parking sensibly I
risked a very quick visit and having located one Wood White ,dashed back to my car.

So ended a very satisfactory day.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1150422.JPG
P1150352.JPG
P1150334.JPG
P1150364.JPG
P1150440.JPG
P1150435.JPG
P1150340.JPG
P1150462.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Thu May 10, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I did indeed enjoy the fruits Trevor especially the cherry on top - the Wood White :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

First it was Wall Browns, then it was Pearl BFs and now its Wood Whites - and all within the space of a couple of days!

Trevor, you are the envy of us all.

Ernie F
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great stuff Trevor, Wood Whites now! Thanks for the guided tour Wednesday, shame the old railway line was a bit sleepy but at least things improved in the afternoon :). I might get round to sorting out my images sometime next month :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Enjoyment confirmed. :D Well done with the Wood White. :D

Goes for me as well Bugboy! I continue to have trouble keeping up with sorting pics, but I don't know what to do about it.
Take less, but higher quality shots maybe? Easier said than done! :lol: :D

David M

Post by David M »

… So ended a very satisfactory day.
Quite an understatement if I might say so, Trevor. That was a ‘boot filling’ day…and some more. Well done with the Wood White capture. First I’ve seen on here this year and let’s hope there are plenty more!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Andrew555 wrote:... I continue to have trouble keeping up with sorting pics, but I don't know what to do about it.
Take less, but higher quality shots maybe? Easier said than done! :lol: :D
I hear this...but when we can take so many photos of such beautiful subjects it seems rude not to :lol:

Great reports and photos again recently, particularly that Green Hairstreak :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done on the wood white, Trev! We understand your concern about the car, but fortune favours the brave- he who dares, wins!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice to see that Wood White and to know they are out and about. I shall have to stray down to Chiddingfold myself soon...

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

My thoughts exactly Dave! Some nice shots there Trevor :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your response to my last day out, seems you enjoyed it as much as I did !.

I am currently in Wiltshire for a few days. Early this morning I went over to the grassland site at Tilshead.
None of the three Blues found there are out yet, but Dingy and Grizzled were around in small numbers.
The morning did, however belong to the Green Hairstreak, with a good number spotted. Back at the car
a Green veined White was found nectaring on Bugle.

No Wall Browns in the local Church yard yet.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150479.JPG
P1150477.JPG
P1150485.JPG
P1150491.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

That's a fantastic Dingy shot, Trevor. I don't think I've ever seen the colours so vivid in a photograph.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, a lovely new Dingy Skipper, Trevor. On new ones like that the marginal spots look almost blue... :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I don't think it looks Dingy at all Trevor, I wonder who named it in the first place :!: Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

A morning visit to ' The hill ' resulted in plenty of Green Hairstreaks, plus Grizzled and Dingy Skippers.
Very little else was on the wing except for some ' Whites ' and a patrolling male Orange Tip.
I would guess the Marsh Fritillary is still about a week to 10 days away.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150493.JPG
P1150523.JPG
P1150535.JPG
P1150531.JPG
P1150538.JPG
P1150564.JPG

John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote:A morning visit to ' The hill ' resulted in plenty of Green Hairstreaks, plus Grizzled and Dingy Skippers.
Very little else was on the wing except for some ' Whites ' and a patrolling male Orange Tip.
I would guess the Marsh Fritillary is still about a week to 10 days away.
Hi Trevor,

Someone on the Wiltshire BC web site reported seeing them at Battlesbury Hill today which is only a few miles away so I would expect them to be flying at Cotley Hill any day now.

https://www.wiltshire-butterflies.org.uk/sightings/

Cheers
John

trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple more shots from today, including a hillside covered in Red Campion,
with part of Salisbury Plain in the distance.
Attachments
P1150499.JPG
Click on image twice, what a spectacle !.
Click on image twice, what a spectacle !.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Trevor :D Great set of shots from the Hill and the Plain :D I was about to let you know that the Marshies have started emerging, the first was on the 11th at West Yatton Down and three were seen today at Battlesbury - check out the latest sightings on Wiltshire Butterfly Conservation and there's a Grid Ref :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”