Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Trevor

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Small Torts Trevor, sorry you didn't manage a shot of the Holly Blue, the first shots are always difficult to get I find :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks all. Was I last person in the UK to find some Small Tortoiseshells ?.

Today was slow going at the old railway, but at least my first Orange Tip, and second
Speckled Wood of the new season put in an appearance.
Also seen were two Peacocks and a very tatty Comma.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140597.JPG
P1140583.JPG
P1140576.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

The old railway was a little livelier today than yesterday.
One thing that was obvious was the building numbers of Speckled Wood, with seven seen.
One in particular was a boldly marked female.
I also obtained a favourite Springtime scene of mine, a Peacock on Blackthorn blossom,
not with a blue sky background, but it will do.( for now ).
The day's tally was seven Specklies, three Peacocks and three Commas.
If the forecast weather is as good as they say I would think Green Veined Whites,
Holly Blues and more Orange Tips will grace the old railway by the weekend. ( hope so )

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140638.JPG
P1140650.JPG
P1140626.JPG
P1140606.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Still no Specklies round my way, Trevor, but it can't be long. That female is beautifully marked - after the late summer ones, the spring brood is much brighter.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That second Speckie, looks really unusual, it's marking's really flower like, Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You nipped off home in good time Trevor - it's been dire to not great here so far this week :( Great set of reports and I see what you mean about that female Specklie, she really does stand out, very well marked :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Remarkably pale Speckled Wood is that, Trevor. Well done for spotting her. Good to see another join 2018's Orange Tip club too! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for the interest in the Speckled Woods.
However Speckled Woods were not the stars of the show today. It was the Large White.
On Monday and Tuesday, no Large Whites appeared at all along the old railway,
but today they seemed to be everywhere, I counted eight but I'm sure there were more.
Another notable was a male Holly Blue, my first Sussex sighting.
As for Orange Tips, it was a day to watch them, the three I saw never stopped, an added
bonus was a fourth OT. which flew across my garden this afternoon.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140657.JPG
P1140690.JPG
P1140693.JPG
P1140654.JPG
P1140672.JPG
P1140660.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi Trevor

I've been looking at your recent pics. You seem to have a great location at your "Old Railway Line".

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Trevor! Love the Speckles, seems like this week has really delivered the goods. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm still on Small Torts and Peacocks over this way Trevor! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lovely set of Large White shots - they're difficult to get without bleaching :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Andrew & Wurzel.
For Ernie f. I have enclosed a view of part of the old line, taken last year.
The site really is 5* luxury Butterflying. There is a free 23 hour car park at the entrance,
and a tar-mac path runs the whole length, with luxurient vegetation, at this time of year,
on either side of the path. Plus there is a Pub and coffee shops nearby.

Today I only had a short time at the old railway, and found my first Green veined White
of the season. The warm sun kept most species non stop in the air, and Speckled Woods
provided some closed wing opportunities in the sunshine.

Happy days,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1140701.JPG
P1140707.JPG
Spring 2017.
Spring 2017.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wow Trevor! your certainly on a roll :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Hi Trevor.

I am glad to be able to report similar progress in Northants. Two Orange Tips and a Holly Blue today (no pictures), and Large White and Green-veined yesterday. :D I have pictures of a few other things that would stay still for me, but would need a drone for the fast ones. Glad to see you are enjoying good weather and hope it continues....

peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely GVWhite Trevor :D The Old Railway looks like a great site, a handy Local Site :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Trevor, especially the context image with the Orange Tip in the foreground. Looks like there has been a Pierid explosion round your way! :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

More great stuff Trevor. :D Do you head north or south, or bit of both ?

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great reports and photos of some lovely spring butterflies :D

I particularly like the last photo of the Speckled Wood from Tuesday 17th - a nice female. Spring brood are usually brighter than the later broods with females usually being brighter than males and yours is a lovely example :D

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Now I have an idea what the Old Railway looks like! It seems like a cracking spot. Some lovely spring views there too. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone. Good to hear from you Peter, glad Spring has caught up with you.

I hope I might be permitted a little indulgence. Some Primroses from my garden.
When I'm Prime Minister the Primrose will become our national flower.
Sadly they will soon fade away for another year :( .
But will be replaced by carpets of Bluebells :D .

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140715.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”