Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

TL442823

It's called Engine Bank. That's the western (actually northwestern) river at the bottom of the bank adjacent to the river itself. But I have seen on top of the bank but I think that they prefer the more sheltered lower parts.

But I have seen near the other river quite close to Mepal but in tiny numbers. I guess they might be found anywhere along the banks of the Ouse Washes.

Jack

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Thanks Jack,
I thought that was where you meant. The names of the drains there are extremely confusing... When I used to fish there a bit, I managed to get my head around the names after some considerable time and believe they are as follows:
The Hundred Foot is actually the large drain which is a short distance to the East of that point (it kinks and moves away from the other two drains before running parrallel again). That drain is also called the New Bedford and is tidal. The two drains which run very close to each other where the little car park is (ie where you set off I think) are the Old Bedford, and to the left, the Counterwash Drain. Oddly, the name of the Old Bedford changes to the Delph a bit further North at Welches Dam (and the Counterwash becomes the Old Bedford!!!). Ye Gods, Cornelius Vermyuden has a lot to answer for :lol:
So, I think you must have walked along the bank between the Old Bedford and the Counterwash.

Cheers,

Trev
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Thu May 05, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

20th April

I spent the morning gardening but with the camera at the ready. Three Buzzards circling overhead brought back memories of soaring with Buzzards in my glider – that was always a truly magical experience.

This little lady lingered for some time.
The spring brood is supposed to be a purer blue than the summer brood which tends to be slightly mauvish. This picture seems to bear that out.

It’s hard to recognise this Chocolate Tip as an adult moth. It was on the house wall (head is at top).

Jack

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_wGSR ... %20001.jpg
I saw a couple today, very blue, i thought they looked like 'commons'.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

21st April.

Orange Tips by the score today on high ground in South Cambridgeshire. In the unbroken hot sunshine, males rarely settled. But one male that seemed perfectly healthy and could fly strongly, regularly settled on flower buds and then closed its wings in the typical pose as if it had become cloudy. It did not stir until hassled by another passing butterfly when it would fly strongly for some 30 seconds before landing again.

Also firsts for year: Red Admirals (2) and Large Whites (3)

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sunday 23rd April
Tried Mepal Engine bank for Wall Browns but no luck. But I was pointed to a very convenient small pubic car park that I had not known about at TL443824 – this is close to prime territory for the Walls.

From the A142 take the track at extreme northwest of the northwestern of the two rivers. Pass the pumping station and then there is a small bridge to the left to the car park by a lake, distance just under a mile from the main road. There is then a wooden footbridge to enable access to the main bank at the bottom of which Walls have been seen in the past.

Orange Tips by the scores if not hundreds – what a fantastic year for them. This geriatric Tortosieshell could still fly perfectly well.

Challenge for you PhotoShop experts – mend this one!

I then moved on to Woodwalton Marsh TL213810 for Grizzled Skippers where I saw just one – the second sighting later was probably the same individual.

Just a few kilometres further north at TL201841 are some abandoned railway sidings that from the map and the satellite images looks extremely promising. Unfortunately, this is probably private and inaccessible. However, at TL207824(near the ruined St.Andrew’s Church) there seems to be another promising habitat that must be worth exploring.

I’m now getting excited about re-visiting Haugh Wood (east of Hereford and north of Ross-on-Wye)this week. I last enjoyed the PB Frits and Wood Whites there the best part of 40 years ago and I understand from ukb reports that the PBFs are very good this year and certainly some WWs.

Jack

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Ruined St Andrews Church?? Is that near me at Sawtry?

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Jack
We saw 6 Grizzled Skippers just outside Monks Wood today.
I'll have a look at that area you mention tomorrow, on SUNDAY

Phil

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Jack Harrison wrote: But I was pointed to a very convenient small pubic car park that I had not known about at TL443824
Gosh, you have short-and-curly cars up there??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Gibster wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote: But I was pointed to a very convenient small pubic car park that I had not known about at TL443824
Gosh, you have short-and-curly cars up there??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well spotted, Gibster! :D :D :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

padfield wrote:Well spotted, Gibster!
What is? Not the pubic car park? Oh gawd...someone book it into a clinic before we're all infected :wink:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Oh gawd! What a typo can do.

And Rosalyn - I notice that you didn't stoop as low as these coarse men!

St.Andrew's ruined church is indeed quite near (4 kms) Sawtry at approx TL206820 but being to the east of the railway, without a long walk on footpaths, you would need to access via Woodwalton village.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sunday 23rd April

EDIT. When I was working, Bank Holidays were no different from any other days of the week so I usually never knew that they existed. I presume that Good Friday had felt like Saturday because there had, for example, been no rubbish collection, or milk delivery. The next day felt like a Sunday. QED.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

EDIT EDIT
My immense confusion as to the day of the week has left me with a huge problem - I don't know which day I am supposed go to church :twisted:

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Presumably the Tortoiseshell found fluttering inside our barn had just woken from hibernation. Seems rather late in the season but what other explanation is there?

There was a “Tom and Gerry” scenario in the house this lunchtime when Evie (aka “Tom”) showed significant interest in something under the Welsh Dresser. After much effort, the dresser was moved away from the wall (lots of rattling china) and Gerry was finally caught (and then released near someone else's barn!). It was an ordinary House Mouse and I sincerely hope this wasn’t/isn't his permanent home. Much more likely was that “Tom” had brought his friend in from our barn.

Jack

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Jack

Rosalyn and I went to 'TL207824' this morning. It is well worth a visit!!!! More accurately go to TL206823 & TL207822.
I think that this may be part of The Wildlife Trust's Five Arches Pit reserve, I will check that out.

Phil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Access look difficult. What route did you take?

Presumably some Grizzlies.

Jack

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

20+ :D

Park at TL20758269, at the point where the road becomes a track, then walk along the path across the field into the 'reserve'.
No fences or stiles to cross, very easy going.
Don't let initial impressions put you off, make your way to the fields adjacent to the railway.
Happy to meet you there if you're thinking of coming over to God's own country.

Phil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Excellent Phil. Fascinating what a little bit of internet research can throw up. You can bet that the railway sidings are as good if not better. I'm sure all along the railway will have suitable places here and there. Prime Grizzlie sites in Cambs I would have thought.

I will aim to get to the accessible site at around 0900 - 0915 on Monday. It's the only day I can make for a while as on Tuesday I go off to Herefordshire (Haugh Wood for PB.Frits and Wood Whites). Then on Friday I believe there's some do in London that will be on telly and I want to see what I am getting for my tax-payers money. I suppose they'd still be around the following week but I like to see them at their best. Don't worry if you or Rosalyn can't make it on Monday but it would be nice to have one or both expert guides.

Dingies at the site a little later perhaps?

Jack

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

I'll / we'll be there in the morning, look forward to seeing you.
Not sure about the Dingy at this location, it does look promising for Green Hairstreak but none seen today.

Phil

Return to “Personal Diaries”