Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

That Small White is very lightly marked indeed, Trevor. I agree - a bit more warmth and there would have been more around. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

The breeze this morning was stronger than yesterday and the sunshine was diluted by high cloud.
For this reason I left it to after lunch before venturing out. By this time the sun was beginning to win
over the breeze. My reward was four Commas and two Peacocks. The second Peacock ( the one I missed )
had very bright colours and was in pristine condition, but unfortunately was obscured by foliage,
and when it took off, was not seen again.

Things seem to be picking up, fingers crossed.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1140475.JPG
P1140480.JPG
P1140485.JPG
P1140489.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Small White yesterday, Trevor and lightly marked as Dave says. I agree that the wind was stronger today, which made it difficult out there, but you still managed to find a few :)

Mike

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

That Peacock looks good to me, Trevor. :D I hope things are starting to pickup. May just see a Pearl at the end of month if things continue to improve.

Gary

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like spring is finally starting to win the battle with winter eh Trevor. Doesn't look like too much sun in the coming days but as long as the temperature stays good we should start having a flurry of activity in the coming weeks :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice shots there Trevor :D

It sounds like you had similar weather today to us, weak sunshine through high level cloud and a bit breezy but overall a bit warmer than yesterday. Unfortunately I was tied up today and didn't manage to get out.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

It's definitely picking up, Trevor. :) Nice to see a few Commas - they are slow to appear in my part of the world so far.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Not seen any Comma's in Canterbury yet Trevor, last day has well, I'll have to make do with your good shots of them :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

More of the same today, still a welcome sight though.
Attachments
P1140495.JPG
P1140493.JPG
P1140490.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D I was wondering a couple of days ago when the first of the Small Whites would arrive on the scene :D If you're after some Small Torts there's plenty over this way :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Some unexpected sunshine, together with warmth ( 18c ) brought out my first
Speckled Wood of the year, although it played ' hard to get ' never landing anywhere
near ground level. It was quite lively in the heat ( yes it was warm ! ).
Also two, worn, Red Admirals were seen. All found along the old railway in Hailsham.

Off to Wiltshire tomorrow, any surprises in the Church yard or Pub grounds welcome.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1140517.JPG
P1140506.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find Trevor :D :mrgreen: and great news as it won't be that long til they start showing up over this neck of the woods :D As we're between one and two weeks behind you guys and gals in the East we're still on Small Torts, Commas and Peacocks though a Small White was seen the other day :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for that Wurzel, I will keep a keen eye out.
A Small Tort. will do fine, I've not seen one yet.
I will thoroughly search the Church rubbish heap, remember last year ?.

All the best,
Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Ah! a Specklie :D soon be time for them to start appearing in my garden...if we ever get a break in this grey and gloomy weather we have had here for days now.

Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's great Trevor, a Speckie , next week the weather should be better may be a Wall next :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see a Speckled Wood out, Trevor :) - no chance over my way as the cloud refused to give any ground all day...

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the rubbish dump checking Trevor :D hopefully there will still be some butterflies about in the gloom that has sat over us for the last week, fingers crossed Saturday is as the BBC Weather app predicts :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Since I arrived in Wiltshire on Wednesday we have had wall to wall grey gloom
until this morning.
Frustrated that there was more chance of winning the lottery than seeing any Butterflies
I took the camera to the nearby railway to photograph the high speed trains, which at
40 years old, are due to be phased out very soon.
Whilst waiting for some action, a Sparrow Hawk landed in a tree not far away, and I was
able to grab two ( half reasonable ) shots of it. A little later an immaculate Fox was seen
crossing the railway line.
Today, however the Sun finally broke through the gloom, so it was off to the local Church yard,
where there was a reasonable showing of Butterflies, including my first Small Tortoiseshells
of the year. Also seen, several Brimstones, a Peacock and a fleeting glimpse of a Holly blue.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140574.JPG
P1140558.JPG
P1140565.JPG
P1140561.JPG
P1140550.JPG
P1140539.JPG
P1140526.JPG
P1140531.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor especially the Brimstone, lovely shot that :D I'm glad the church produced the Small Tort goods and a Holly Blue :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Well done on the Torts Trevor, like the Sparrow Hawk as well. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”