Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andy Wilson

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hi Neil,

It was rather windy this afternoon. As someone once said... I'll be back!

Best wishes,
Andy.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie. I was absolutely elated with this one - probably my best ever Brown Hairstreak underside shot, and I've taken a lot! Right place, right time and complete shelter from the wind in the little quarry here.

Hi Andy. Head for TQ429107 for the maximum Adonis dose.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the tip. I was on the higher slopes to the north of that yesterday afternoon, and there was quite a strong westerly wind funnelling up the valley. The blues and skipper I saw were in the old quarries further to the north, around TQ431112, which were sheltered from the wind.

A location I've found is good earlier in the year for 1st-generation Adonis Blue is Bible Bottom. The south facing slopes around TQ435102 are full of Horseshoe Vetch in May/June. I might also try this area at the weekend, weather permitting.

Regards,
Andy.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brownie Bonanza

This morning (7th August) Steyning Rifle Range hosted a social gathering of Brownie fans from near and far. I had arranged to meet my father, Simon Primrose (BC West Midlands), Brian Henham and Paul Fosterjohn, but our number was swelled further by several other Steyning Downland Scheme members and visitors, all eager to see the site's fabulous hairstreaks. Simon and I stayed for the longest period and we eventually clocked up a minimum of 7 different females, all appearing between 11 am and 2 pm. There were also plenty of Wall Brown and a few Clouded Yellow on the northern flank of the valley.
UKB Brown Hairstreak (1), Steyning Rifle Range 7.8.14.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (2), Steyning Rifle Range 7.8.14.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (3), Steyning Rifle Range 7.8.14.jpg

William

Post by William »

Superb Stuff Neil - In several years hunting them on the Somerset lanes I have only ever seen them from 20m away high up in Ash trees, I should love to get some photos like those someday :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks William. I'm not sure of the distances involved, but have you tried Alners Gorse? I would have thought that a couple of visits on warm, sunny days should resolve your shortage, particularly in the golden window between 11 am and 2 pm.
BWs, Neil

IainLeach
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by IainLeach »

some really nice BH photos there Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Iain. Much appreciated.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grounded

Having been bed-bound for the last couple of days, with a very unpleasant abscess under a wisdom tooth, I was up and about for just long enough this morning to notice a pair of Holly Blue in the back garden. One of these was an egg-laying female and the other a male which wouldn't stop pestering her. Fortunately our back garden is walled, giving some respite from the strong winds, so I managed to get some reasonably sharp shots of her between gusts.

I'll get back to those who have recently emailed me or left messages once the antibiotics have done their job.
UKB Holly Blue, Worthing garden 12.8.14.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

A fair reward for your suffering, Neil!!

Open-winged female Holly Blue is a delight at any time.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Holly Blue Neil, it fair jumps out of the screen :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Seems you've gotten the blues in every sense possible; get well soon!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all. I look a little less like the Elephant Man this morning .... I think.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

End Of Season Steyning Downland Scheme Brown Hairstreak Social Group

Today I joined the ‘End of Season Steyning Downland Scheme Brown Hairstreak Social Group’ at the Rifle Range, where annual gatherings celebrate the passing of another season and members hope to photograph one of our most beautiful and charismatic butterflies. Brown Hairstreak watching here is very much a social event and the more eyes the better! Although it sometimes gets so busy that you will find yourself shoulder-to-shoulder with other participants, business is almost always conducted in a polite and cooperative manner, with most members returning home with close-up views and hopefully some good photographs.

Today was no exception and the butterflies performed well, both for Team A on the northern flank, captained by Colin Knight, and for Team B in the reserve area, captained by Trevor Rapley. Together a total of 12 female Brown Hairstreaks were seen. I spent most of the 11.30 am – 2.00 pm period of activity on the northern flank, where we had at least one specimen in view almost constantly throughout the day. We are now at peak season, so a visit this weekend in warm sunny weather should give every chance of some red hot hairstreaking.
UKB BH SDS 20.8.14.jpg
I also spent a few hours here yesterday, but the weather was only sufficiently good to tempt a single female down. However, it was a case of quality over quantity and this near perfect specimen posed with open wings for more than twenty minutes.
UKB BH SDS 19.8.14.jpg

peterc

Post by peterc »

Well done, Neil.

For a second I thought there was an antenna missing on the open-winged Brown Hairstreak :) . Is it unusual for the antennae to be that close together?

Peter

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Peter,
The parallel and close position of the antennae indicates that the butterfly is actually asleep, or very nearly so, despite the wings being open. The position of antennae in roost mode varies between species. For instance, in Grizzled and Dingy Skipper they droop to about 45 degrees below the horizontal.
BWs, Neil

peterc

Post by peterc »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Peter,
The parallel and close position of the antennae indicates that the butterfly is actually asleep, or very nearly so, despite the wings being open. The position of antennae in roost mode varies between species. For instance, in Grizzled and Dingy Skipper they droop to about 45 degrees below the horizontal.
BWs, Neil
Thanks Neil,

How fascinating - I hope a sleepy Brown Hairstreak comes my way soon for a photo shot :)

Peter

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning Brostreak Neil :D :mrgreen: Hopefully the weather will improve slightly next week for a quick visit to Shipton for me :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Neil. Hopefully the weather will allow me to catch up with this stunning butterfly over the forthcoming weekend in Pembrokeshire.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel and David. I reckon this weekend and next week will be peak time for Brownies, with a very long tail-off thereafter. I would probably still be chasing them during the first week of September, but I'll be on a family holiday in Cornwall (secretly waiting for the Monarchs to come in).
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”