essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Off to south east Kent today. Despite some warm sunshine, butterflies were few. Being near the south coast, I expected some Clouded Yellows, for example. But I did see a few Red Admirals, mostly out of reach, but this one came lower.
D2EACC51-A1D2-4D52-A6F4-0185E143A6F4.jpeg
A couple of faded Speckled Woods put in an appearance.
697CAE92-A8B9-4E63-A1AD-5A8015ABA8B8.jpeg
Autumn colours are now getting going. Perhaps surprisingly, ash has been one of the best performers so far, with many taking on a lemon yellow, almost luminous appearance.
D8CC4921-47F2-4498-966D-6DC9761DA856.jpeg
At least I saw a bit of sunshine today, any sunny days at this time of year must be grabbed with both hands!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Go for it Mark !. Southwick has some life left yet.
But yes, do choose a decent day.

Good luck !.
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some good autumnal fair there Essex :D - does it seem that the end of the season has arrived a bit earlier this year? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I'm surprised you didn't see any Clouded Yellows, Mark. They seem to be everywhere else in the south right now. :?

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Trevor, I did indeed go for it!

Wurzel, still a bit of life left in the season,but you have to search for it now...

Plenty of Clouded Yellows where I went today, David...

Today was probably my last butterfly day out of the season-and it was a belter!

Visited several sites in the Shoreham area, including the beach, harbour and up at Mill Hill. Most abundant were Clouded Yellows, with 40-50 seen across the sites, and Red Admirals, 20+. Others were Small White, Small Copper, Common Blues, Brown Argus, Comma, Painted Lady, Meadow Browns (some surprisingly fresh, clearly still emerging!), Walls, Speckled Woods and Small Heath, two at Mill Hill. Twelve species, fantastic for this time of year! :D :D :D

Also lots of lizards on the walls at the beach. Here are a few pictures, more to come!
Attachments
945D1FE0-EF29-4EDF-B9F5-4440D8D193EC.jpeg
69D37148-331F-4698-BD03-3F6946F4A600.jpeg
9630B365-8328-4B8F-93BC-24DF7DC53C42.jpeg
112F9EE6-A8BF-4E9E-869D-CA00F70A9D90.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Wurzel, still a bit of life left in the season,but you have to search for it now..." Serves me right for still listening to the BBC long range weather forecast :roll: :lol: Twelve species in October :shock: And is that a Helice? :shock: Have of these even if it ain't :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

From what I've seen already it looks a 'belter', Mark....I don't need to wait for Part 2 but will willingly read it with interest when it appears!! :)

Can't be often that anyone sees 40-50 Clouded Yellows in a single day on UK soil - I struggle to do that in the south of France most years!!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I got 11 species on the Saturday down there, didn't get any painted lady. In all likelihood we were seeing the same individuals, still a remarkable tally for late October though, especially with so many fresh emergent around!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I was there Sunday as well Mark. Didn't rack up quite as many species as you, but still had some great sights.
Lovely stuff. :D

Cheers

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel, and yes it is a helic. I actually saw two, one at the beach and one at Mill Hill which was laying eggs, albeit with little chance of survival.

Thanks David, just a few more pictures to come.

Hi Buggy, yes many of the individual butterflies could have been the same ones.

Hi Andrew, we certainly couldn’t have asked for better weather on Sunday!

Here are some of the lizards from Sunday.

And here are a few more butterflies. :D
2A8CF635-BD50-4D97-8289-5409EF83A21D.jpeg
A70D2B91-33B1-4797-A78E-D611AA46A298.jpeg
9CDDD847-F526-496E-B9F2-E57CD664A383.jpeg
9992D997-04F4-45D7-959C-1EF9B40E12CE.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

One more from Mill Hill.
Attachments
C73D27FC-3105-41D3-8E8C-1EB6F227F0CA.jpeg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning butterflies, Mark, and some in amazing numbers too, pity the weather's going to change just when I have some free time!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, that’s a shame but don’t give up. Given sunshine, butterflies can fly at quite low temperatures so you may yet get a chance.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some terrific shots from the south coast, Mark - I'm particularly envious of the helice female as in all my visits down there this year, I haven't seen one. :)

Cheers,

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That’s a shame Dave, I think you have been slightly unlucky as there have been a few helice females around. There is still time though-just.

Here are some of the many lizards on the Shoreham beach walls.
Attachments
6BF2A6BA-906B-4513-93CA-268F3354F354.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of images Essex :D Especially teh Painted Lady with the blue ocelli, aother one I've looked for but not seen yet :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's quite a range of fauna you've seen lately, Mark. I expect by this time next week all these heat loving creatures will be taking cover! :(

trevor

Post by trevor »

Very nice helice, from a few days ago, Mark.
Only seen one this year, had three in one day last year!.

Keep warm!
Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great late season selection there Mark :D :mrgreen: Almost tempts me to look at moving south...almost :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

For me, the butterfly season has now finished. But, as one door closes...

In the last week, I have made several visits to Epping Forest, where the autumn colours are now at their peak. Although it has not been a great autumn for colours, a walk here is one of November’s greatest pleasures. On a bright day, the low slanting sun filters through the leaves, settled off the colours.
AE9F1D07-564E-4F67-8F9D-B58971A95EC0.jpeg
BED5AB54-4794-472E-B961-0F9B74C387FB.jpeg
One tree I haven’t paid enough attention to in the past is the aspen, whose leaves turn a glorious butter-yellow in autumn. This happens particularly in Scotland, and also in the USA and Canada, where it also grows. But a few trees in Southern England turn as well. The leaves have long thin stalks so they flicker in the breeze , and the tree was called the ‘trembling poplar’.
8A111BCD-4227-41A8-A7DE-33DBBA4453A5.jpeg
The beech tree always has lovely autumn leaves. Beech dominates the higher parts of the forest, as it prefers dry soil . In the lower areas, where heavy clay is found, hornbeam takes over as the main tree. The beech in particular are now resplendent, but the leaves are falling fast in the strong winds.
9A39A13A-2548-461B-8E91-72FBDCBE0236.jpeg
Oak trees are common throughout the forest, and their leaves are now changing too. Oaks, especially English oaks, hold onto their green leaves until November, but they then change quickly. English oak is commonest on heavy clay, whereas sessile oak prefers acid soil, though there is considerable overlap, where both species grow together. Picture shows sessile oak.
9FBA2F3B-352A-48BE-900D-25DEBD2062CB.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”