Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A day off work. All week I've been watching the weather forecasts with the same avidness as my Grand-dad watching the football results come in on a Saturday when he was doing the Pools. I'd long planned to visit Abbot's Wood in East Sussex in the hope of seeing the beautiful Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I've spent weeks drooling over the stunning photographs of this butterfly posted here by UKBers and desperately wanted to see the butterfly for myself.

By the time I'd arrived at Abbot's Wood it was warm and sunny with a slight breeze. The car park has rather stern warnings about being fined and "enforced" at the Magistrates' Court if you don't buy a ticket to park, there was a pink Ice Cream Van doing a lively trade and lots of Little People with Mums and Dads and dogs all having Bar-B-Qs nearby. Undaunted, I wandered in a Northerly direction along wide sunny Bugle-lined lanes and soon left the crowds behind. I saw a Speckled Wood, Green-veined Whites, Brimstones, a Peacock and a Small Tortoiseshell.

I then reached a very sunny ride close to clearing and jumped for joy at what I thought was a Pearl-bordered Fritillary. But it was a Speckled Yellow moth! And there were lots more of them to confound me before at last a sharp, fast moving butterfly slipped past me at knee height: A Pearl!

My goodness they are hard to follow with the eye as they whiz along! I didn't think I was going to have much luck getting a photograph. Here's a couple of my early efforts
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG
But although they were "juiced up" after many trials I at last managed to get close to a few
IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG
I saw one egg-laying amongst the bracken
IMG_3718.JPG
I think it was this one.

In all I must have seen about 20 of them, which delighted me of course (although I was told by a fellow enthusiast that numbers are significantly down this year).

Many thanks to all the kind UKBer's who sent me help and advice on how to track down this butterfly at Abbot's Wood. I had a grand day out, saw a gorgeous butterfly and even had an Ice Cream to celebrate.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

It's lovely that you achieved your goal and got some nice photos too :-)

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Congratulations, Hoggers. Always nice when research and perseverance pays off.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Susie and David: seeing the Pearls of Abbots Wood was a great way to spend my day off.

Bitten by the travelling bug, today I ventured out of Kent and into Surrey. Getting me on the M25 takes a lot of doing but Wood Whites are strong enough attractions to do it. I decided to make my annual pilgrimage to the woods at Chiddingfold but this year instead of Botany Bay and Oaken I thought I'd make a change and start at Tugley Wood. I arrived at 9am to sunshine and a blue sky. It wasn't long before I saw my first Wood White fluttering delicately towards me along the ride
IMG_3765.JPG
I counted 19 in the two hours that I spent there
IMG_3786.JPG
IMG_3775.JPG
And for the first time I was able to witness some of the courtship behaviour of this magical butterfly. The butterfly on the left of this photograph (which I suppose to be the male) settled opposite to the one on the right (which I suppose to have been a female) and began tapping her with his antennae in alternate right and left movements of his head
IMG_3882.JPG
This went on for over a minute with no reaction from her. He then raised his abdomen
IMG_3881.JPG
And they then both suddenly flew off and went their separate ways.

I also saw 9 Dingy Skippers, 5 Speckled Woods, a Large White, several Green-veined Whites, 9 Brimstones and a Holly Blue
P1040200.JPG
But it was the Wood Whites that stole the show. I like to close my eyes and picture them in my mind's eye daintily fluttering along the woodland paths: it's very restful and better than counting sheep
IMG_3864.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Walking the hounds today I saw two Orange Tips, a Large White
P1040295.JPG
P1040302.JPG
A Peacock and a Green-veined White
P1040318.JPG
No sign of any Brown Argus yet.

Our Blue Tit chick continues to thrive
P1040276.JPG
We've named him Egbert.

The garden is looking nice
P1040270.JPG
P1040260.JPG
P1040272.JPG
P1040244.JPG
I'm just waiting for all my Tadpoles to turn into Slug Eating Frogs.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I've been stuck in the concrete jungle of the City of London all through this glorious weather. As I walk along the pavements I find I'm gazing about searching in desperation for so much as a blade of grass, anything green and living.Unsurprisingly I haven't seen any butterflies. It's especially frustrating on the train journey because we pass through countryside that in this sunshine looks so inviting yet there's no stopping to have a look. But today work came to an unexpected early finish and I was able to get home to Ashford by 1pm, put on a T-Shirt and go out over the fields with the dogs.

It was warm, sunny and breezy. I saw a few Small Whites, a battle-scarred Small Tortoiseshell, two male Orange Tips, a Small Heath
IMG_3892.JPG
And five Common Blues ( 4 males and a female)
IMG_3893.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG
I particularly enjoyed watching the Blues either when they were perched or feeding on the Bird's Foot Trefoil or chasing after one another.

Beautiful creatures and a welcome treat for my eyes after four days of looking at concrete.

Back Up the Smoke tomorrow but after seeing some butterflies this afternoon I feel fortified enough to get me through to the weekend.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Little Egbert isn't so little anymore
P1040380.JPG
P1040383.JPG
I think he'll be flying the nest very soon
P1040387.JPG
P1040388.JPG
Today I went to Lydden with Brother Hoggles. The first butterfly we came across was a Common Blue in the meadow
IMG_3912.JPG
(and many more on the hill)

And no less than six Brown Argus (my first of the year)
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4073.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG
Moving on to the hillside we quickly found the brilliant Adonis Blue (another first for me this season)
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG
I hadn't noticed the black dots on the hind wing margins before today. What a beauty.

We saw two females and two mating pairs
IMG_4007.JPG
There were also good numbers of Dingy Skippers, Small Heaths and a couple of camera-shy Walls.

David M

Post by David M »

That chick looks absolutely ready to take its first flight. I sincerely hope he/she comes through unscathed.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Hoggers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds like you had a great day, with some great shots to boot :D I know what you mean about working - I almost feel trapped - oh if only I could win the lottery! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Wurzel, If you're a Butterfly Fancier work can feel like a cruel torture on sunny days in Summer! I got home today at around 3.30pm after driving cross-country and every mile wishing I could go butterflying. The sun had come out and it was very pleasant indeed. I wandered up the garden and stood gazing at (and sniffing!) the flowers. The number of bees in my garden has increased noticeably since planting the Wall Flowers & Co which gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I must get myself a Bee Identification book.

Anyway, as I stood watching the bees to-ing and fro-ing look what came fluttering in
IMG_4083.JPG
I rushed indoors to find my camera
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4094.JPG
IMG_4103.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
An Orange Tip on 14th June!
IMG_4121.JPG
IMG_4125.JPG
And in my garden!
IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG
Wonderful!
IMG_4145.JPG
P.S - Egbert our Blue Tit chick left the nest last sunday, spent the rest of the day in a bush in the garden being tended to by his parents and was gone the next day.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You must be pleased as punch Hoggers. All that work in the garden has clearly paid off - and quite quickly too. I hope you are feeling very smug as you deserve to be and great shots to top it all off! Thank you for the update on Egbert - let's hope he makes it.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm delighted Egbert made it through! Perhaps he will be bringing up his own chicks in that same box in the future ...

I fear many broods will have been greatly reduced this year, with insect numbers so low. Round here, black redstarts nest quite conspicuously on and near buildings and in poor springs I have often found dead chicks beneath the nests. My guess was that the parents actively thinned their brood, rather than waiting for any chicks to die. If there was only food for one then in the end they would only try to rear one - I could be wrong. Your blue tits did the right thing by little Egbert.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I do feel rather proud of my efforts in the garden Pauline although I'm sure dear old Percy Thrower is turning in his grave at all the blunders I'm making. It's very much work in progress. I've surprised myself by how much I enjoy gardening having never before seen any attraction in it. It was only the desire to attract butterflies and other wildlife into the garden that got me out there on my hands and knees wielding a trowel. I now heartily recommend it to others and if they say they don't have any interest gardening I raise my eyebrows at them in silent reproof.
I'm also pleased with my handling of the Gastropod Problem. Somewhat miffed at spending £7.50 on a new Lupin only to watch it being slowly consumed by The Garden Slug (I spend considerably less on feeding myself each afternoon in the work's cafe) I went out each night armed with a torch and a Slug Pot to catch them in the act. All Molluscs that I bagged I deposited in a nearby field and away from my garden. I didn't want to use any chemicals at all in the garden (potentially harmful to other wildlife such as Hedgehogs) nor could I kill the creatures (putting salt on them is absolutely barbaric - they are living things after all.) Well, after about a month of these Nocturnal Expeditions my Gastropod Problem is almost entirely solved and my Lupins and I rest easy at night.

Guy, I'm sure you're right:there were so few insects about when the seven chicks first hatched I could tell they were not thriving. At least One survived.

When finally I got the chance to go out today I headed to Wye Nature Reserve even though it was blowing a gale strong enough to lift my eyelids. And doubtless because it was so very windy it was difficult to find any butterflies but I did my best to squeeze as much out of the trip as possible.

The first thing I noticed were the Lady Orchids
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
Together with Common Spotted Orchids just coming into flower
IMG_4185.JPG
And some Common Twayblades too.

My first butterfly in the blustery conditions was this Common Blue
IMG_4177.JPG
Several Large Whites
IMG_4197.JPG
(and a few Small Whites.)

This single Brimstone
IMG_4194.JPG
A Small Heath and this Wall
IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
I also saw a Red Admiral, only the second that I've come across this year, but too flighty for me to get a photograph.

When I got home I walked into the garden and saw what was certainly yesterday's Orange Tip but not looking too good I'm afraid. It was motionless on the grass and appeared quite stricken
IMG_4224.JPG
I encouraged it onto my finger where it happily sat
IMG_4231.JPG
Then put it on a Wallflower where it made urgent efforts to take on nectar
IMG_4254.JPG
I saw it making rather feeble efforts to crawl to other flowers, it wouldn't fly, so I assisted it again and again watched it feeding and there I left it in peace, out of the wind.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm so glad you don't kill the slugs! I had quietly noted your opposition to them and wondered (without being so rude as to ask) what you did to them. Now I am relieved! :D

And lovely butterfly pictures too!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Hoggers :D Looks like you had a great day, and the Orange-tip shots from your garden were cracking :mrgreen: They make me miss my garden though... :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Yes Guy, I'm really quite Slug Friendly (for a gardener!) I remember doing a project on them for my 'O' Level Biology (showing my age here - it was long,long ago!) and when you actually look at them up close, they are beautiful creatures.

Thanks Wurzel, I'm not surprised that you miss your garden but in moving home you did what you had to do at the time. At least you get out and about as much as possible.

The Orange Tip was still in my garden this morning
P1040400.JPG
P1040402.JPG
But had gone by lunch. It was lovely to have one so near at hand but I felt a tinge of sadness at the thought that I'll have to wait until next year before I see another one.

On my walk with the dogs I saw only a couple of Large Whites but this magnificent chap crossed the lane in front of me
P1040408.JPG
Some kind of Moth?

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hoggers wrote:Some kind of Moth?
Garden Tiger, I reckon.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I'll refer you to my comment in December about wildlife gardening :)
ChrisC wrote:you won't regret it.

Chris
and i'll second Pete's Garden Tiger.

Chris

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the ID Pete and yes Chris, you were spot on!

I stopped off at Lydden Nature Reserve on my way home today to spend some time with the Adonis Blues
IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG

I noticed how strikingly different the blue of the wing is depending on how it catches the light
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG
Some lovely females too
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4383.JPG
Also Common Blues including a female
IMG_4426.JPG
And Small Heaths.

Good to sit amongst the Fragrant Orchids in such dazzling company
IMG_4414.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

There are times of the year when Dungeness can seem to be the most forbidding and desolate of places on Earth, a bare post-apocalyptic wasteland of shingle and withered Gorse bushes with a wicked wind blasting in off the sea. Thank Heavens there's a pub.

But today,although a strong wind was blowing, it was nevertheless warm and more often than not bright and sunny.

What is more, the whole place has blossomed into a riot of colour and perfume
IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG
The first butterfly I came across was a Common Blue
IMG_4437.JPG
I saw several, including this female with very little orange on it
IMG_4490.JPG
IMG_4492.JPG
As I walked along something brownish and fast flying (particularly in the strong wind) caught my eye then disappeared. After a lengthy search I managed to track it down
IMG_4448.JPG
I jumped for Joy: my first Painted Lady of the Year!

Then not much further on I came across my second
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG
I was delighted with my find and hope this is just the start for them this year.

When I got home I stepped out into the garden and saw a flash of blue. Not a Holly Blue at this time of year surely?
Yet it was!
IMG_4529.JPG
What a delightful and surprising day with the butterflies
IMG_4498.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”