Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I wasn't planning on going out today but one of the UV bulbs over my tortoise enclosure has stopped working so I had to go to Emsworth Aquaria for a replacement. Now, as far as I can tell, Emsworth Aquaria is not in Emsworth! :roll: Is it any wonder that I get confused and can't find my way anywhere :wink: :lol: Anyway, as I was so near to the forts, and the sun had put in an appearance, I decided I might as well go that bit further and look along that stretch by the forts. I have never been along that top stretch before but I didn't quite get where I intended as the road I took led into the hospital :roll: . I quickly veered off to the left, drove through an estate and parked by a little shop. From here it was quite easy to walk up the hill and along some lovely tracks where there were loads of butterflies including my first marbled Whites of the season:
P1520205ad.jpg
P1520185ad.jpg
P1520220d.jpg
There were lots of Brimstones ranging from an egg-laying female which I watched for a while
P1520163ad.jpg
to this poor old chap who looked like he was on his last legs and kept lying down on the tracks:
P1520192ad.jpg
It is not the first Large Skipper I have seen this year but it was the first that allowed himself to be photographed, too engrossed in nectaring to be bothered:
P1520219ad.jpg
P1520216ad.jpg
Other butterflies seen were Common Blue, Brown Argus, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Large White and a worn Holly Blue:
P1520221ad.jpg
The view wasn't too bad either:
P1520191ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,

Your first image of the Marbled White is excellent ( good job that lamp went ! ). I visited a site for them
today but nothing yet.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, lovely Marbled White, Pauline! The contrast on the first fresh ones of the season is just wonderful. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with the others - cracking Marbled White, I can't wait to start seeing the multitudes of them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Few things finer than a 'mint' Marbled White. Lovely specimen.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Don't we all just love Marbled White they seem to epitomise our summer, some lovely captures included on your report Pauline.

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:I'm afraid I didn't see the cat eating but I recall seeing a moulted skin very close by. In fact, after these comments I returned to the site to search thistles rather than nettles to see if I could find any sign of feeding, frass - or even more cats, tho' sadly I found nothing :( . I guess we'll have to conclude RA altho' it was an exciting thought whilst it lasted.
Painted Lady larvae are very variable and, while flicking through the Millennium Atlas, I came across a PL larva that looks just like yours - on p.198. Given that it looks as if it is feeding, I think I'd now plump for Painted Lady. We live and learn!

Hopefully, we'll all get a chance to study this variability big time this summer ... start planting those Thistles!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Pauline wrote:I'm afraid I didn't see the cat eating but I recall seeing a moulted skin very close by. In fact, after these comments I returned to the site to search thistles rather than nettles to see if I could find any sign of feeding, frass - or even more cats, tho' sadly I found nothing :( . I guess we'll have to conclude RA altho' it was an exciting thought whilst it lasted.
Painted Lady larvae are very variable and, while flicking through the Millennium Atlas, I came across a PL larva that looks just like yours - on p.198. Given that it looks as if it is feeding, I think I'd now plump for Painted Lady. We live and learn!

Hopefully, we'll all get a chance to study this variability big time this summer ... start planting those Thistles!

Cheers,

- Pete
:lol: after looking at the picture again I was going to retract my assurance of it being a Painted Lady and go with your instinct Pete of it being a Red Admiral. My reasoning being it does seem slightly 'plump' in a red Admiral way and the spines don't look spiney enough to be a Painted lady.....

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I just love Marbled Whites, your photo's bring back memories of warm sunny days,(Where have they gone! :( )
When we were in Norfolk the wind was bitter cold although the Sun was hot if you could get a sheltered spot you were okay, we spent a lot of the time dodging the wind by going into the various hides :D Luckily the people at Hickling Broad had put willow Screens here and there a long the path this helped enormously to keep the place a little warmer and the Butterflies took advantage of this has well , I think the Thistles and Ragged Robin plus the Yellow Iris's was enough to convince them as well Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Pete for bringing that to my attention. I really must start looking at some of the many books I have. I have just looked at Page 198 and yes, it is remarkably similar, tho' I must say I didn't notice any silk tent. Having said that I wasn't looking at the undersides of the leaves. I shall definitely be returning there for a better look as I would very much like a definite ID.

Thank you for your input Buggy. I so wish I had some more photos of it. I have one but it is almost identical so not much use. I really just like to know what these things are :roll:

Thank you Trevor. I guess there is always a silver lining if you look hard enough but it didn't seem that way as I handed over my £70.00!!! :roll: :lol: I am sure it won't be too long before you are seeing lots of them.

Thank you also David, Bill, Dave, Wurzel and Goldie - your kind comments and compliments are very much appreciated.

Having been housebound for a couple of days due to minor car repairs and waiting around for an electrician, this afternoon I could hear the SSB’s calling to me so I had to pay another brief visit to Bramshott. Many more males have emerged since my last visit (I counted around 30) but I could almost feel their frustration as they searched for those elusive females. I only saw 2 worn specimens so I hope there are many more still to emerge.
P1520339ad.jpg
P1520346ad.jpg
The Dingy Skippers were still around – and still fighting fit – although clearly past their best. On the other hand 3 newly emerged Large Skippers spiralled into the heavens before travelling sideways at an incredible speed, only to return to their original positions.
P1520316d.jpg
P1520353d.jpg
P1520311ad.jpg
I could not resist a shot of this lovely Speckled Wood – slightly larger than most and with striking markings and it was whilst I was taking this photo that I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye – it was quite large but definitely not one of the many Meadow Browns, and moving much faster in any case. Another Speckled Wood crossed my mind as I fancied I had seen pale spots on it as it shot past, but this butterfly was circling in a frantic manner and quite unlike a Speckled Wood. I gave it my full attention and quickly realised it was my first Painted Lady of the Season. It was a bit worn and a bit ragged but tearing around the place at a rate of knots. Twice it briefly touched down before disappearing and it was then I managed to grab this one and only shot. Painted Ladies have reached Liphook!
P1520350ad.jpg
As I watched the blue butterflies I had time to compare the SSB with the Common Blue – both lovely and both so different.
P1520360ad.jpg
P1520363ad.jpg
As I was leaving I spotted the Brimstone that I have seen on previous occasions. He is immediately apparent, even from a distance, as he is unable to attain any height, although reasonable speed does not seem to be a problem. As he gets closer the reason is immediately obvious – his wings have been shredded. Not just the usual bird attack. He looks like he has been put through a pasta making machine, his tattered wings streaming out behind him as he flies along. Good luck to him.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fantastic photos as usual Pauline. You've got to hand it to Brimstones, they've got some staying power!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Buggy. I have a soft spot for Brimstones. I must get some Buckthorn as I get a fair few in the garden each year.

I took these shots a little while back and forgot to post them. Thought you might be interested:
P1470756ad.jpg
P1510997ad.jpg
Reading about the recent emergence of several DGF I have been keeping a close eye on my pupa which pupated 29 May (could have been a day or 2 earlier as I didn't check it every day). It is very much alive but I haven't noticed any change colour wise. I am assuming it might darken but I don't actually know:
P1520272ad.jpg
Likewise, I would have thought the WA would be darkening in colour as it pupated on 4 June, but no change there either. On the other hand, the Large White are growing in leaps and bounds and I have found a further 30 cats on the Kale. This was taken about a week ago - I must update it:
P1510382ad.jpg
I found this cat on the nettles. I am thinking Small Tortoiseshell?
P1520257ad.jpg
Last but not least I am enjoying watching my Comma cat doing caterpillar things. I really hope this one makes it:
P1520232ad.jpg
P1520265ad.jpg
P1520235ad.jpg

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Reading about the recent emergence of several DGF I have been keeping a close eye on my pupa which pupated 29 May (could have been a day or 2 earlier as I didn't check it every day). It is very much alive but I haven't noticed any change colour wise. I am assuming it might darken but I don't actually know:

The DGF pupa could be a female in which case it will be a little later, as mainly males are flying at the moment. You should get an idea when the wings colour up, it will have more white on it if its a female.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Pauline, I love that first photo of the Comma cat in particular and as you surmised the other cat is a Small Tortoiseshell.

Regards Kev

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the compliment and the ID Kev - both are greatly appreciated.

Thank you too Martin for that information and the clarification. During today the DGF pupa has started to change colour - it has certainly darkened and moves quite a lot but I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to be able to say whether it is male or female. I don't even know how long it will be before it emerges now that the colour has started to change. I can't imaging that it will be long. Here are a few more shots taken during the day:
P1520376d.jpg
P1520447d.jpg
P1520484d.jpg

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Pauline,

The pupa needs to be allowed to hang down, otherwise the butterfly may not emerge properly. It should also be kept out of direct sunlight.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

The DGF should be hatching tomorrow if the weather holds, or Saturday, once they form up, they cannot wait too long before hatching, if there are several days of rain or cold conditions they dont hatch and often die fully formed up inside the pupa.

Orange Tip [male pupae colour up the following order Orange, White, then just before hatching Black spot and tip. females just the White and Black]. The Orange shows 2 to 3 days before hatching.

I expect DGF to do the Orange first, and the Black spotting last, although this is just a guess. I have never seen a DGF pupa, although we have them on Hutchinsons Bank.

its useful to remember that the upperside markings show when the wing cases form, so they can be sexed easier where the upperside markings colours are different.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Pete Eeles wrote:Hi Pauline,

The pupa needs to be allowed to hang down, otherwise the butterfly may not emerge properly. It should also be kept out of direct sunlight.

Cheers,

- Pete
With enough room underneath for the butterfly to hang on the bottom of the pupa and pump up its wings.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:Thank you Buggy. I have a soft spot for Brimstones. I must get some Buckthorn as I get a fair few in the garden each year.

I took these shots a little while back and forgot to post them. Thought you might be interested:
haha, you know me too well!

That Beatle looks like some sort of Leaf Beatle, Chrysomelidae but I have to say I've never seen one with an abdomen as swollen as in your picture :shock:. I would hazard a guess its either a massively gravid female or it has some sort of huge parasite in there :?: Your hairy cat is a Yellow-tail Euproctis similis.

I'm enjoying watching your DGF pupae progress. Hope you get some good pics before it takes to the air :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm following the progress of all your early stages with interest, Pauline, especially the DGF and White Admiral! :) You have amazing patience.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”