Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers CJB :D Glad to know that there are still some Reef heads out there 8) Good luck capturing your target species :D

22-07-2014 Larkhill

I didn’t get to stop at any other sites today as after work it was the farewell tea party for one of my colleagues who retired after teaching at the same school for 30 years. This would mean that I had to forego the afternoon stop-off at The Devenish and instead guzzle back tea, salmon sandwiches, cakes, Tiffin and scones and jam...it was a hard job but it needed to be done. :wink:

Because of this I savoured each second at Larkhill more especially as I realised that I’d been neglecting the humble Meadow Brown. So I set out from the car park up the North path to rectify this. Each Meadow Brown that I saw on the way I scrutinised for unusual markings but it wasn’t until the large patch of flowers that I started seeing anything differently marked. First up though were a lovely pair of Hedge Browns posing nicely together side by side which is not something I’ve seen before. The female looked pretty resplendent and I couldn’t help but check her for the number of eyes and spots – these totalled two per hind wing and an extra spot on the left hand fore wing.
095 - Copy-001.JPG
104 - Copy-001.JPG
I then carried on watching the Meadow Browns. One female had orange markings reminiscent of the blue marks on a Peacock wing under the eyes, little dashes getting smaller and fading as they worked towards the margin of the wing close to the body. Another had two pupils in each eye like a Hedge Brown which is something I have seen before but not quite as well marked as this. The different markings were also visible on the underside of the wings with one showing lighter dashes on the hind wing and another which had a lighter band running across the whole hind wing splitting the wing up into three colour bands almost.
orange dashes under eye
orange dashes under eye
two pupils
two pupils
light dashes on hind wing
light dashes on hind wing
light band
light band
Come the afternoon I had a little time before the tea party began and so I took a brief stroll from the car park to the wildlife area and back to the lab. The entire walk took only a couple of minutes but in that time I notched up 1 Smessex, 2 Small Torts, a Peacock, 2 Hedge Browns, a Large White, a Green-veined White, 2 Small Whites and 3 Meadow Browns. A pretty good haul for a short walk and so as a reward I got over to the Tea Party and got to guzzling! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A nice selection of Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown photos :)

Your shot of the m & f side by side shows the size difference very well. Like you, I seem to be seeing more 'twin spot' Meadow Browns in recent years - it seems that this old simple discriminator between the species is no longer valid!

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal, nice shots of the GK and MB, I think they get neglected by most people when taking Butterfly pic's but when you take close up shots like you've done showing the differences and colour their really an interesting species.

I keep trying with the Wall's, I'll have to go to Southport Dunes again ( weather permitting storm tomorrow) and see if I can see any more, they're suppose to be at Gaits Barrow but I've not seen them there yet.Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Cheers Mike :D I wondered about the Meadow Brown twin spots too but are there more or are more being seen?
Cheers Goldie :D There does seem to be a lack of Meadow Brown shots at the moment - mind you what with Map, Chalk Hills, Brown Hairstreaks etc etc who can blame anyone :lol: Good luck with the Walls :D

23-07-2014 Larkhill

I was back on form after the tea party, if carrying a bit too much cake, and so planned to make the usual two stop-offs. The first at Larkhill had to be very brief as I really needed to get everything wrapped up today ready before the last official day tomorrow. As it turned out this didn’t matter too much as the Meadow and Hedge Browns had decided to hang out along the edge of the car park and there with them, showing of its stunning livery was a Peacock (possibly the resident?).
050 - Copy-001.JPG
056 - Copy-001.JPG
Further up the northbound path a ways there was a single Smessex and up by the flower patch a group of four Hedge Browns. The males are now starting to look pretty ragged but the females are still in great nick. There were also a few Marbled Whites fluttering around looking well past their use by date. And then I had to rush off to work.
064 - Copy-001.JPG
069 - Copy-001.JPG
077 - Copy-001.JPG
The Devenish

On the way back home I pulled into The Devenish and cut straight up and across the meadow noting Green-veined and Large White and a Peacock and Red Admiral on this stretch. The Meadow seemed more quiet than usual with just the expected Meadow Browns and another Peacock and then I headed up the path over the stile. The usual shower was crawling over the Brambles including a further three Peacocks and then I broke though onto the side of the Down. I stopped briefly at the edge of the Down as a Silver-washed Frit was flushed from the side of the Brambles and disappeared down in amongst the Beech trees. This little stop meant that I saw the 5 Brimstones that were making merry around here. A quick walk around the down side threw up only 3 male Chalk Hills but unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be around to witness them reach their peak.
102 - Copy-001.JPG
110 - Copy-001.JPG
Time ticked ever onwards and I had to cut short my angled wanderings and scurry back down to the car park. A Peacock, Green-veined White and a Silver-washed Frit all put in brief appearances under the watchful eye of the Comma from its vantage point on the edge of the car park.
112 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More of the same... 24-07-2014

Brief stop off at Larkhill, probably the last this side of the summer as the break is starting today. In one way this is great as I can make more longer trips out but on the other hand almost everything has emerged already and I won’t be able to make my daily stop-offs. If only they’d alter the start date of the holiday perhaps moving it back to the last week of June? Then over the five weeks (don’t believe the hype the summer holidays have already been drastically reduced) I’ d be able to spend time looking for His Nibbs, watch the first Chalk Hills emerging and possibly see Brown Hairstreaks before stating back for the new term.
It was quite quiet when I arrived and the Red flag flying but my butterflying makes me bulletproof. The area by the car park had a single solitary Meadow Brown. The reason soon became clear as the cooler temperatures had kept the butterflies roosting in the patch of untrampled long grass. As I approached they soon erupted.

Further along the Western path things were much more awake. A Peacock flitted along disturbing my only Marbled White of the visit. A Small White played very hard to get before eventually rising and disappearing over the trees. As it turned out it didn’t matter as one was waiting for me at work, stuck in my lab and feverishly pawing at the window.
Hard to get
Hard to get
151 - Copy-001.JPG
153 - Copy-001.JPG
183 - Copy-001.JPG
On the way home I couldn’t resist a quick pull in at The Devenish... see how times have changed now it’s no biggy – I’ve been practicing my Zen techniques :wink: . Plus it helped that work had finished early so I had more time. I strolled through the Meadow just enjoying the butterflies for once now pressure and anxiety of “are they or aren’t they here?” of the Chalk Hills has passed. There were Meadow Browns and Hedge Browns everywhere. The edges which were still in slight shade were where the Whites would play and there was a nice scattering of blues including a couple of Chalk Hills here too.

The Bramble housed all the usual suspects and was bountiful and up on the Down there were still a few Marbled Whites flying. Whilst up there and enjoying the sun and butterflies something much larger and Ginger shot by a Dark Green Fritillary and it was swiftly joined by another. I don’t know if it was due to its age but one actually stopped long enough for a swift and stealthy approach. Unfortunately it refused to turn around an insisted on only showing me it’s closed wings at an angle. Still I’ve now got a slightly better Dark Green Devenish!
211 - Copy-001.JPG
218 - Copy-001.JPG
Back at the Meadow I spent some time with the Blues and even a couple of Smessex. Amongst the 2 Brown Argus and 4 or more Common Blues a couple of Chalk Hills had popped over to visit their cousins and were making themselves at home on the nectar sources. This made photography much easier as the flowers were above waist height and quite sturdy so weren’t easily thrown around by the breeze.
239 - Copy-001.JPG
243 - Copy-001.JPG

I left feeling relaxed and calmed today and waved goodbye to the Comma on guard over the car park as a Silver Washed whizzed by. I don’t know when I’ll be back to this site, possibly not until September though I’ll have to try and pop in.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice Chalkhills, and I do feel sorry for the poor Small White gazing at its own reflection... no doubt it was swiftly liberated soon afterwards :) :wink:

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Really like the shots of the Small White and it's reflections, Wurzel :D Pity the DGF didn't turn round just a tad more for you :( :wink:

Mike

kevling

Post by kevling »

Wurzel,

I too like the Small White shots at the window. I never knew they could be so vain. Or perhaps he was happy to escape the cooler temperatures outside.

Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It was swiftly liberated, somewhat reluctantly on it's part, it kept flying back in :shock:
Cheers Mike :D Yeah it was giving me the run around and then the cold shoulder as well :( :wink:
Cheers Kev :D I reckon you're right there as it kept coming back in once I'd set it free :shock:

Stockbridge 25-07-2014

As it was the first day of the holiday I couldn’t really face marking the two sets of Assessed practical work, or re-writing the Biology KS3 Schemes, or preparing all my assessment folders and set lists, making the 6 sets of Exam Based Assessment booklets, planning my lessons for the KS3 changes and neither could I start the GCSE analysis as the results weren’t published. All of that work could wait for the other five weeks of the summer break and so instead I took the girls for a bit of a run out at Stockbridge.

As we walked across the reserve following the diagonal path the bisects the site there were Meadow Browns and Chalk Hills flying everywhere but no Silver Spots flew up to greet me along the path as they have done on my previous visits. We reached about half way in and set up camp in the shade of a stand of Hawthorns and so while the girls read and played I strolled up and down the hill within earshot of their cries of “Wurzel” should any unleashed dogs appear. I scanned the bare patches amongst the turf and the scabious plants along the main path and quickly found my first Silver Spot of the year but it did that annoying thing that they do and zipped off diagonally and then jinked here and there before flying off in a wide arc so I kept losing sight of it.
I settled for Chalk Hills in place of the Silver Spots as I had managed to grab a quick “proof of sighting shot” and I got an added bonus at the top of the hill amongst the trees. A “tuurrr, tuurr” put me onto a Turtle Dove and a careful approach led to me getting some great views of this cracking little bird. Coming back down there were plenty of Chalk Hills including the “suave” aberrant that I first found out about from Dave/millerd’s posts. The shot is slightly out of focus but the orange shots are there to be seen.
008 - Copy-001.JPG
012 - Copy-001.JPG
017 - Copy-001.JPG
022 - Copy-001.JPG
032 - Copy-001.JPG
066 - Copy-001.JPG
So after a good thirty minutes or so we moved on to the other side of the Hawthorns. As we followed the bare chalk path down towards the road and there was another Silver Spot. It seemed quite intent on taking nectar and so just to make sure I reeled off a few shots just to make sure and then gradually inched around on my knees until I was side one. It looked lovely and fresh as it still had that lime green colouring and the hairs would glitter like gold when they caught the light. The girls loved it but soon wanted to try and find another one.
078 - Copy-001.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
087 - Copy-001.JPG
We carried on around down the diagonal path towards the main car park and then started our way back when the Hawthorns on either side started to enclose us. A good job really as the numbers of butterflies were starting to dwindle as the shade increased and also time was ticking by. It’s also a good idea not to walk too far when with the girls as they like to set up camp and potter about around this area (they probably walk three times as far doing this than walking the reserve but they can’t be told!). We settled once again and this little patch was pretty good – with a Smessex, Hedge Browns, Peacock, Chalk Hills, Common Blues and Brown Argus all about as well as a couple more Silver Spots. One landed on a large piece of flint which was a blessing as normally grounded ones are surrounded by blades of grass.
109 - Copy-001.JPG
Also keeping to this little area was a Clouded Yellow but it was nigh on impossible to approach and I couldn’t get any closer than five or more metres as it would soon be off. I wasn’t spooking it just didn’t nectar for more than a second or two and was really flighty. Still the girls appreciated it almost as much as the Silver Spots.
120 - Copy-001.JPG
128 - Copy-001.JPG
I managed a few more Silver Spots as my younger daughter attempted to catch some butterflies in her hat! I know that this was a futile task but it kept her happy and amused for a while so I could focus on the butterflies. After I’d encountered another Silver Spot looking slightly darker than the others I’d seen so far we realised that time was running out. I always try to get back a bit earlier than expected which puts me firmly in the ‘good books’ with my wife and so we packed up and headed for home with my little girls regaling me with tales of the ones that got away.
131 - Copy-001.JPG
145 - Copy-001.JPG
The walk back threw up two Small Coppers – one with blue spots that I couldn’t get any decent shots of as the wind was tearing through the low turf. The other was trying to egg lay; turning around and around in circles and placing her abdomen round and touching the leaves of the vegetation she was on. I didn’t see any eggs but that cold of been because I didn’t want to get too close so as not to disturb her.
154 - Copy-001.JPG
169 - Copy-001.JPG
Happy all three of us carried on back to the car park with Chalk Hills erupting beneath our feet. A great start to the holiday and another species on the tally – which just leaves Brostreaks form the regular crew.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great report Wurzel, and a great shot of the Turtle Dove :D which is now becoming a rare sight in the UK, I've not heard or seen any this year :( Lovely shots too of the SS Skippers :D
I understand how you didn't want to disturb the ovipositing Small Copper, I would have done the same :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree - lovely Turtle Dove and some interesting shots in the last few reports Wurzel, in particular the Small White and reflections and the lovely SSS shots. The other shot I am finding interesting is the Small Copper egg-laying as it looks to me as if those Sorrel leaves might already have larva on them given the marks on them, tho I can't tell if it is just discolouration of the leaf (and I am unsure whether a female would lay on the same plant as a previous female). Great shot tho :D :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D The Turtle Dove was a real bonus as normally the only sign of their presence is the "turring" from deep in the leaves :roll: I thought with the Small Copper it was a case of leave it today and photograph Small Coppers in the next brood :D
Cheers Pauline :D I couldn't tell if there was another larvae there as I wouldn't know what to look for :oops: WRT your PM - no worries :)

Downshay 27-31 July 2014

As the good weather continued my wife and I packed the camping gear and the girls into the car and headed off to Downshay our usual camping site near Corfe on the Isle of Purbeck. Various days out were planned as we drove down in glorious sunshine and at the back of my mind I cross referenced the various outings with possible butterfly sightings :wink: .

Despite staying for several nights I only really walked the camp site twice although I did see various things while travelling down to do the washing up etc. The Wash Blocks were also great for moths and I caught about 30 different species in my cleaned out Waitrose take-away coffee cup - but that will be a post later in the year during the down season.

27th July
Having arrived and worked through all the setting up procedures; got the tent up, freezer blocks in the freezer, bedding out and tent tidied, had a brew etc I decided to check out the site for the first time. I looked around for the girls but they’d already made friends and had disappeared to the rope swing :shock: :roll: so I set out to work my way around the various hedges. There were plenty of Hedge Browns and Meadow Browns flitting around as well as the odd white. Half way along this hedge which bisects the main field it breaks down and there is a patch of longer gasses. Here a gorgeous male Common Blue was feeding and looking stunning.
132 - Copy-001.JPG
142 - Copy-001.JPG
The other path concreted and leading up to the top grazing fields had a much smaller hedge along most of one side but on the other it was supplemented by a good growth of Brambles. It was here that I found a fantastic Comma. It would hover around the tops of the Brambles and Nettles and then suddenly lift off, soaring and gliding high, before disappearing from view for a minute or two Then it would finally pop up somewhere further along the Hedge and repeat the procedure. I stood stock still and watched this and once o twice I was included in its gliding circle as it checked me out. I must have passed scrutiny as after the third fly by it landed right next to me.
147 - Copy-001.JPG
The following day we visited Corfe and Wareham and I was occupied with such pressing matters as drinking tea and reading though occasionally gazing contently round I would see a butterfly flying by, a Small Tortoiseshell also flew into the tent for some respite from the sun but I didn’t get out during the afternoon.

The following day was Studland but as I still had plenty of battery I risked a walk around once we were back and the sand and salt had been washed off. Unfortunately for me everything was turbo charged beyond belief but it was still nice to see them getting on with things. It all started with a Wall Brown which was basking on the stone walls between the two wash blocks. I must have caught it at the end of its basking session because I’d only just seen it and it was off! Over the course of my ramblings I made it along the central hedge and up to the top of the path and my tally stood at 2 Red Admiral, 2 Small Tortoiseshell, 8 Hedge Browns, 14 Meadow Browns, Marbled White, Large White, Common Blue, 3 Small White and a female Brimstone – not bad for 1o minutes or so! Coming back down the concrete path I reached the same Bramble patch which a few days before was the stamping ground of the Comma. Today it was replaced by a lovely fresh Small Tortoiseshell which was playing on the Thistles using them as a rocking horse.
666 - Copy-001.JPG
670 - Copy-001.JPG
The penultimate day was Lulworth Cove and so I didn’t get an opportunity to wander the site properly again but I don’t think I could have added anything to the list. A great Camping site and a nice relaxing butterfly site, only another 50 weeks until I can visit it again! 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Corfe Castle 28-07-2014

Our first trip out away from the camp site was to Corfe Castle. It was nice and sunny as we walked from the car park up the hill but the hide from the overhanging trees kept the butterflies away. :?
Once in amongst the battlements at the outer Bailey the girls were entranced with the ‘Medieval Diet’ talk and running around trying to find shields in order to complete the Castle Challenge. Therefore it wasn’t until we reached the top and the inner ward that I started seeing butterflies. As like last year it was a Red Admiral that got the ball rolling, feeding on Marjoram. It didn’t stop for long though but it or another one appeared as we worked our way back down to the inner Bailey. In fact this was a great little spot and the flowers in amongst the fallen and derelict stones threw up a Small Tort, Hedge Brown, 2 Meadow Browns and a Wall as well, in within a distance of 2 metres! :D
279 - Copy-001.JPG
289 - Copy-001.JPG
292 - Copy-001.JPG
We made our way back through the bastions and gatehouse and a Common Blue flew up the steep hill towards the Keep so I wondered what else this area of the Castle could produce? Luckily once back down in the outer ward my older daughter became enrolled in ‘Knight School’ so while learning the basics I nipped off for 5 minutes back up to the likely looking spot. Again the Wall was about amongst the Hedge and Meadow Browns, flitting along the iron fence and curtain wall (where it was still in one piece). The hill leading to the Keep housed another Common Blue and also a lovely fresh Brown Argus.
302 - Copy-001.JPG
Back at the fence the Wall Brown again played hard to get and instead I settled for a different type of Wall – possibly a Wall Lizard? As I was sneaking up on the Wall Brown this little head peeped out at me, scrambled over the stone and then settled down to bask, all the while keeping my eye on me.
305 - Copy-001.JPG
308 - Copy-001.JPG
315 - Copy-001.JPG
My allotted time was vanishing fast and so I climbed back over the boulders and set off down the path. A golden blur paused on the hillside and I just had to check it out. As I got nearer to it I could clearly see the crescent moons on the fore wings – a lovely lady Lulworth – and not in too bad a nick either.
329 - Copy-001.JPG
I got back and my daughter was busy slicing and dicing. The Knights finished up with what they called a French manoeuvre where everyone dropped their swords and ran away :lol: :lol: . Ace although my chuckling did take some explaining as my daughters didn't get the joke :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

That settles it - on one of our summer trips to Studland, I shall persuade the boys that a sidetrip to Corfe is necessary! :) It's a spectacular spot anyway, but that selection of butterflies makes it a must. And a splendid lizard as well - that would certainly clinch the deal with Elliot... :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

That second shot of the Wall lizard is just sublime :mrgreen: :!:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some more great reports Wurzel, you really make me feel I am there with your descriptions :D

I will be down in Dorset again in a couple of weeks :D :D , I really must stop off at Corfe Castle instead of passing through like we usually do, either in the car or on the steam train.

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots, Wurzel :D brilliant Wall Lizard :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I know it's a butterfly site Wurzel but I just love your lizard shots - something a bit different. Great report. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Don't forget Knight school when selling it:shock: :wink:
Cheers Philzoid :D :oops: I got lucky with that shot, it must have decided to let me photograph it :shock:
Cheers Neil :D It's a fascinating place and so much more than just a back drop to a Disney film :wink:
Cheers Mike :D That was my first UK Wall Lizard so I was quite chuffed :D
Cheers Pauline :D I was quite taken with the little critter as it played hide and seek with me :D

Knoll Beach 29-07-2014

Day three of the holiday and we had our beach day and headed off to Knoll Beach at Studland. We had five or so minutes by the ‘Discovery Centre’ as the girls wanted to play on the rope swing so I set about recording the butterflies that were basking and feeding on the little clumps of heather and a small Buddleia. There were a couple of Hedge Browns but the most numerous species as the Grayling with 6 or 7 flitting around this tiny little area. There was also a Small Tort staying well out of the way, seeking shade high up on the building.

One Grayling in particular was quite placid and so stayed in the same place allowing me to get comparison shots, first without flash, then with and finally with highlights added by Picasa (although not processed in this order).
512 - Copy-001.JPG
no flash
no flash
with flash
with flash
534 - Copy-001.JPG
542 - Copy-001.JPG
544 - Copy-001.JPG
Once down at the beach the girls ran off to paddle and start building castles wile us remaining adults found a shady nook at the top of the beach to set up camp in. A few whites flitted by, a Peacock put in an appearance and there were a few Hedge Browns. There were also a few Darters.
561 - Copy-001.JPG
567 - Copy-001.JPG
After a few hours of the usual beach activities; paddling, splashing, crab hunting, castle building and walking along the beach to searching for Pearls and Sinking Sand (my younger daughter was adamant that we should give it a go – there were none of the former and plenty of the latter) we headed back in land to the Discovery Centre and lunch. I kept a shifty eye on the Buddleia again and there were still plenty of Grayling hanging around it. At one point a Fritillary bombed past and as it headed into the woods I’m guessing that it was a Silver Washed.

After lunch while my wife dozed and the girls swung I checked round the back of the Discovery Centre as I remembered that there were a couple of Buddleia bushes round there. And they still are. This time there was a Small Tort, 2 Red Admirals, a Peacock and a Wall Brown all feeding on them. The Wall hung around whilst the Vanessids did a bunk so I got one of two shots of it. I also found some interesting moths clinging to the back of the building in the shade...but that’s another post.
611 - Copy-001.JPG
617 - Copy-001.JPG
All too soon we had to pack up and head off to the Camp site to wash the sand form between our toes and have a brew, still at least I could check out the wash block to see what moths were about. I couldn’t resist another quick shot of a Grayling before we left.
629 - Copy-001.JPG
This is turning out to be quite a good year for Wall Brown – first one at Corfe and now here. I wonder where else they’ll turn up??

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Knoll Beach - our favourite sea-and-sand spot! we were there a few days before you Wurzel, but it was really too hot for butterflies. Those are great Grayling photos and I envy you the Walls, as I still haven't seen one this year, despite having been in several spots (including this one) where they must have been around. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”