Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

I think that's a Drone Fly Goldie, but whatever it's a good sign as when I start seeing bees I know that the butterflies aren't far behind :D Your garden certainly looks like it's ready to host some butterflies :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

If it was a fly it was a big one Wurzel :lol: Yes I'm ready for the butterflies when they arrive :D The weather looks great for the weekend 17c , trouble is I've only got Sunday free so I'm hoping they'll come to the Garden I can't go looking but it's great to actually get some warmth, fingers crossed I'll get my first shot. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yup Wurzel is correct, that is a Dronefly, Eristalis tenax from the looks of things. A type of Hoverfly that mimics Honeybees :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

If you think that Drone Fly is big, wait til you see a Hornet Mimic Hoverfly http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/volucella-zonaria these are slowly spreading north, I have seen them down south before and had a couple in my garden last year for the first time.

Good luck for the weekend, finally had my first butterfly this afternoon, a Comma.

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil. I'm learning fast that what I thought was Bumble Bee's are mimic HF :D
I've saved your post so if I see any of these I can distinguish them from real Bee's, my garden is usually full of both, infact the Butterflies are disturbed quite a lot with them .( when they arrive that is :D )
I'm still waiting to see my first Butterfly, I was too busy today and the weather was perfect 17c but family duties took priority :)
Tomorrow looks good so hope fully I'll see some thing then :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At Last!! I went back to my local site today HLB and before 15mins was up I'd seen a Small White a Small Tortioseshell and a Comma :D
In all has I wandered round I saw 3 Comma's managed a couple of shots, 4 Small Tort's, 2 on the wing, 3 Small White and I managed some shots of all of them.
I think the Comma's were pretty new, only because they kept flicking their wings, the Small Tort just wanted to Sun bathe :D ,the other Torts I saw or rather missed, just flew off the dandelion's before I could get my shot, it was the Small Whites that were more active but always seemed to land in the Briars , luckily I managed shots but from a distance. Quite honestly I was so pleased
to see the Butterflies I didn't worry too much about the shots :lol: Hope fully this weather will keep up so I can see a Peacock and a Brimstone, maybe even a Holly Blue, seemly some one has seen one locally already.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1875.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Glad to see you got your butterflies, I can almost feel your excitement and pleasure :D

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:...I can almost feel your excitement and pleasure
Me too. It's palpable!

Well done, Goldie....and a non-adult overwinterer to boot! Worth waiting for.

maverick

Post by maverick »

Glad for you Goldie
No stopping you now
In my Warrington garden today, brimstone,small torts and my first red admiral

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done, Goldie - you've seen a Small White as well, something that hasn't appeared near me yet. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hoorah the duck has been broken. See butterflies are like buses... :D And the multiple sightings of Small White isn't to be sneezed at, I saw my first yesterday and only got a record shot :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everybody, it was a great day :lol: I'm still excited :D

I thought yesterday with the weather staying so nice and not yet seeing a Peacock Butterfly that we might have a run to Mere Sands Woods near Southport , so we Packed some Sandwiches and off we went.
On arriving we found the small shop there closed which was unusual for the time of year I thought and when we tried the car park machine ,putting the car number in etc, we couldn't get the darned machine to take our money, 2 pounds for the day, this had happened to us once before and we'd received a bill from the council, I mention this because I wondered if this had happened to any one ?
On a brighter note has we walked towards the meadow we saw the Peacocks soaring high in the sky really enjoying the Sun and life', fantastic sight every Spring :D We decided to go and see The Great Crested Glebe first on the lake hoping the Peacocks would settle down when we went back and this is just what happened and I got my shots of my first Peacock :D
I'm back over to HLB this morning before the rain comes later to see if I can find a Brimstone, fingers crossed. :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

You have done well in those peacock shots. I especially like the second just showing two eyes. It is great coming here and sharing in all of the joy in seeing butterflies.

peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Butterflies have reached you at last Goldie, lovely Peacock.
You'll soon be able to tease us southerners with some northern species we don't get down here !.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your posts Peter and Trevor, rain here today but at least I've got started 4 species :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff with the Peacock Goldie :D I hope your luck held for a Brimstone :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No luck there Wurzel, the weather broke down and it's rained since, plenty of time though now, April on Saturday :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff Goldie, your'e racking them up now...I am still on 2 species down here.

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Keep your diary free this Sunday, Goldie. Looks like most of the UK will enjoy a near perfect early April day! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Neil and David, I think this Sunday we should all get some Butterfly shots like you've said David and that will take your count up Neil :D

My Daughter is coming to visit and she likes Brockholes NR, ( I think she likes the floating Cafe there :D ) so I'm hoping to see an Orange Tip (hope fully) Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”