Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

Impressive spider, Trevor. :) Even allowing for a degree of parcelling up, the butterfly is dwarfed by its predator. At least you must have had a bit of sun - the rain reached here first thing and is still going strong... :(

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You were lucky to get anything today Trevor, it was grey and horrible from the word go for me!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

After watching the forecast last night, I'm surprised anyone in your part of the UK saw butterflies, Trevor. Shame about the Brimstone, but that spider looks a menacing beast.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some nice shots there Trevor - the spider with butterfly v. interesting but you probably know how I feel about spiders. You have been lucky with the weather - it started here at 8.10 am (as the window fitters arrived) and has been torrential since then!!!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave, Buggy , David and Pauline.

The bad weather that was forecast did not arrive here until the afternoon.
The morning was bright and mostly sunny. We had heavy rain later.

Glad I made the most of the morning !.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Lovely fresh Painted Lady. I was having a window fixed this morning so only managed 45 mins at Southwick before the rain started so your photos are extra appreciated. No LTB seen by me.

trevor

Post by trevor »

If anyone is interested, the sticky beads, on the web of the Spider with it's Brimstone meal,
are visible if the image is enlarged. I was surprised that my camera had captured this.
The beads are spaced with almost mathematical precision.

Trevor.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great Spider Trevor ! ( although not for the Brimstone !) What do you reckon........ Wasp Spider (Argiope Bruennichi )
Regards Allan.W.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd go with Wasp Spider as well they are huge beasties and a Brimstone is a mere snack for them, great set of shots, that Blue glows in the brief sun :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Alan & Wurzel. That Spider was in a difficult position for identification,
I only managed an upside down, rear view of it.

Now for a real surprise.
I am currently staying at the Bell Inn, Great Cheverell in Wiltshire. This morning I discovered two
male Wall Browns in the pub grounds. The first one was very worn, and difficult to photograph.
As usual it had a favourite basking spot, and returned several times.
The second male was nearly missed as I initially mistook it for the first one when it also chose
the same piece of ground on which to bask. but this one was in near pristine condition.

Does anyone know if Wall Browns are known in this part of Wiltshire ( Devises area )
which is a long way from their usual South Coast haunts.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1110006.JPG
P1110005.JPG
P1110004.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a good find, Trevor. :) As you know, they are around on Wurzel's Hill, so I imagine they may be thinly scattered across Salisbury Plain - it doesn't look far as the crow (or Wall Brown) flies from there to you...

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice Wall Brown's Trevor, they seem paler in colour even the fresh one than the usual WB's it will be great if you've found a new place for them in the Devises area. :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Walls seem to be doing okay on the Plain, there were records of 25 in a day during the first brood from Morgan's Hill which is just to the North East of Devizes :D That's still a great find Trevor - especially as now you can enjoy a pint and Wall Browns :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday's report on the Wall Browns in the pub garden, set me thinking
about why they were there, hardly typical habitat.
It later occurred to me that the nearby Church grounds, with all the grave stones,
might provide the answer.
So yesterday lunchtime I set out to investigate. I was welcomed, almost immediately by
a pair of quarrelling Wall Browns, within a few more minutes it was clear that I had found their headquarters.
It was an all male show, with no females seen yesterday or this afternoon.
I am wondering if these Walls are third Brood, as most were in near pristine condition.
The second brood in Sussex were looking worn several weeks ago.

Here are some more Wall Brown images, all taken in the grounds of St Peters church, Great Cheverell, Wilts.

Trevor.

PS. Thanks Dave, I had forgotten about the Walls at the Marshie site.
Attachments
View showing proximity of the Bell Inn ( with the red roof ) to the grave yard.
View showing proximity of the Bell Inn ( with the red roof ) to the grave yard.
P1110067.JPG
P1110066.JPG
P1110072.JPG
P1110069.JPG
P1110068.JPG
P1110074.JPG
P1110073.JPG
P1110076.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Your 'hunch' doesn't surprise me, Trevor. Easily my best local site for Wall Browns is Dan-y-Graig cemetery in Swansea, where, like yours, the Welsh ones like to perch on gravestones.

I think the females appreciate the longer grasses around the graves that remain uncut.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Marvellous set of shots, especially the first one of the Wall! By spooky coincidence I was at a cemetery in Brighton today. More of a slow walk through rather than butterfly search but I certainly didn't see any Walls.
Last edited by Katrina on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those are terrific photos, Trevor! :) In particular, the undersides of the fresh butterfly are amazing. You may just have discovered a micro-environment that suits the species... I would think they were second brood still, as the south coast was ahead of the Wiltshire ones for the first brood in May, and the weather has probably held things up a bit. But who knows, with this unusual season? :?

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good detective work there Trevor, great shots as well :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Trevor and a great again a great find, it'll certainly pay dividends for an easy Wall sighting next season :D :mrgreen: I remember years ago seeing them around my Granny's rockery and concrete paths, not the same as the graveyard habitat but similar :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone, I'm pleased you all enjoyed the Wall Brown saga.

This morning I went over to Burgess Hill to look for Brown Hairstreaks. Despite perfect weather,
the Hairstreaks proved elusive. After searching many areas of Blackthorn, I eventually found a
large Ash tree with plenty of my quarry flying around it, and some good Blackthorn beneath.
As it was quite hot by now ( 25c ) I decided to sit in the shade, and watch and wait.
After about half an hour I spotted a female BH on a Blackthorn sucker, unfortunately my camera
was not set up properly and all images of this BH were out of focus :oops: .
Within two minutes another female BH landed nearby, and I got this one. But a third came down
almost immediately, this one flew off without being photographed.
And that was it, all over in about 10 mins. And nothing else for the next three hours !.

Another good find was a Brown Argus, my first this season.
Trevor
Attachments
P1110106.JPG
P1110105.JPG
P1110109.JPG
P1110112.JPG
P1110110.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”