Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Wall shots Trevor :D :mrgreen: The little Buddleia looks like a very welcome distraction :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

One of my garden lights always seems to be popular with Red Admirals at this time of year.
For the last three years I have seen one basking on this light at the end of July.
Yesterday's visitor may qualify as ab. bialbata.
Attachments
P1100744.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shot Trevor, mine got a way today. :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks good for the ab.bialbata Trevor :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Following my post above showing a Red Admiral on my Garden light, I have found images
of this, almost, annual event from 2015/6, and always on the same light and at the same
time of year, within a day or two.
Attachments
4/8/ 2015
4/8/ 2015
29/7/ 2016
29/7/ 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting that they choose the same spot year after year. The Red Admiral from the latest shot looks interesting as the red band has almost been dissected by the dark background, not sure if that's a named ab?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Red Admirals DO seem to be universally attracted by bright metal. I guess they enjoy the extra warmth provided by the surface (particularly during an unseasonably cool spell such as this)?

trevor

Post by trevor »

The very strong, almost gale force, wind today put paid to my planned Brown Hairstreak hunt.
The one place locally that is usually protected from the worst of the wind, is the old railway
in Hailsham. The old line is mostly in a cutting, with tall trees on either side, which together act as a wind break.
During periods of sunshine there was quite a surprising amount of Butterfly activity, mostly Speckled Woods,
which were plentiful. Altogether I saw two Red Admirals, three Holly Blues and many Large and Small Whites.

Today's surprises were in the form of one Banded Demoiselle, and only minutes later a Beautiful Demoiselle.

Not a bad day,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1100796.JPG
P1100795.JPG
P1100797.JPG
P1100798.JPG
P1100799.JPG
P1100801.JPG
P1100800.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

I resumed my Brown Hairstreak hunt this morning, this time at a new location.
Local enthusiast, Dave Cook, had kindly posted details of a site in Burgess Hill, West Sussex.
I arrived at a small car park and immediately noticed a profusion of Oak, Ash and Blackthorn.
For a hour or so the weather was ideal for Brown Hairstreak activity, with much action high up.
I was fortunate to see a BH land in an Oak, just above head height and well within the zoom
range of my camera, and there this female stayed for a good 30 mins, perched on an acorn.

Also seen, several Purple Hairstreaks ( some tantalisingly close ), a male BH behind a leaf,
two Red Admirals, two Clouded Yellows, several Holly Blues, and of course, many Gate Keepers.

On the way home I drove through a rain and hailstorm of tropical intensity, the A23 was
under water at one point. Scary stuff!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1100853.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing shot on the acorn Trevor! Yes, we had the thunder, lightening and torrential rain too :( I have the distinct feeling that the season is already nearing its end but I'm determined to squeeze the last bit out of it - once I have my new windows fitted that is!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Pauline. Some days recently have had a very autumnal feel about them.
Last year I squeezed the season out to Nov.18th ( a tatty Clouded Yellow ).
I've just had my windows and soffits replaced. The new soffits are very popular with
Red Admirals warming up in the morning. The back of my house faces east.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Hairstreak Trevor. I think I may have been in the middle of that rain storm today, no way for me to avoid it and got drenched to the bone...

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Brown Hair Streak shot Trevor :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Brostreak Trevor :D - if you're over this way in the next week or so Shipton is still producing the goods - although I'm on painting duty all week and then my sister is back from Oz :( / :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today I went for a walk with Dave Cook around his local patch, in Burgess Hill, West Sussex.
One of our targets was the Brown Hairstreak, but the weather was not quite right, with little sun.
In all two were seen, both females. The first one took off as soon as she was spotted, we didn't
spook her, it was just one of those things, and the breeze swept her out of sight.
Dave spotted the second one nectaring patiently on a Thistle. This one was clearly not fresh,
with nicks visible on all wings, when she finally opened up the full scale of the wear became apparent.
She could easily carry off the prize for the tattiest specimen of the season so far. Amazingly both tails were intact.

The one Meadow Brown I photographed today was in much better condition.

Many thanks to Dave for his time, and great company.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1100910.JPG
P1100909.JPG
P1100911.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

I would settle for a tatty Brown Hairstreak like that one, not sure if and when I will get a chance to see this species this year. Mind you, that is only because I have other plans...can't be everywhere.

That Meadow Brown looks to have extended orange patches on all four wings.... I have been seeing a few like that over the past few years.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

She does look a bit battered Trevor :shock: Mind you that was the sight I was expecting last weekend but luckily it was better than that, I'll feature it in my PM around October :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That female Brown Hairstreak sure has had a tumultuous life thus far! The important thing is that she can keep laying eggs though for next year's brood.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I like the Brown Hairstreak on the acorn, Trevor. :) However, the second one certainly has had a rough ride - storm damage, perhaps?

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks. The underside of that BH could hardly prepare one for the state of the upperside !.

The dire weather forecast for this area meant staying local, and not too far from the car.
So a patch of Fleabane that I visit most years, just 8 miles away, was ideal.
When Clouded Yellows are reported in Sussex, this site is usually a good bet, but none today.
What was really impressive was the number of fresh Brimstones on the wing. When I arrived
on site there were two on the Fleabane, when I left over thirty had been seen, including one
that had become a meal for a Spider.
A very fresh Painted Lady proved very difficult to get near, being very flighty, but a little
stealth won the day in the end. Among the ageing Common Blues was one fresh specimen
all the others were looking very tired, as was the surprise of the morning, a very tatty
male Silver Washed Fritillary. It was in such a state that even it's flight was slow and lethargic.

The heavy rain that was forecast arrived this afternoon.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1100973.JPG
P1100976.JPG
A sticky end for this Brimstone !.
A sticky end for this Brimstone !.
P1100966.JPG
P1100964.JPG
P1100972.JPG
P1100971.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”