Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
All intentional. I just felt it was time for a change, so the avatar became history along with the Kipper. Fresh start for 2014.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Maybe I should change mine to the radio callsign I used in my early gliding days. But perhaps not politically acceptable today: "Black Jack" :!:

I have a friend who still calls me Black Jack and his two boys (ages 8 and 10) do the same.

Jack

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Neil, just catching up on your diary, some interesting posts and great photos.

I particularly like the expression on the Tamworth 'Sandyback' a few posts back, you can almost hear the sighs of contentment :D

Living in Solihull, I work with a few people from Tamworth and we have been known to 'affectionately' refer to them as sandybacks :wink:

Cheers,

Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Neil,
You should have seen the expression on the bloke's face! :wink:
See you in Fermyn if not before!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Chasing Gulls

With spring still seemingly a long way off, I've been chasing a few more birds around the block. Yesterday (13th February), in a rare but very welcome spell of sunshine, I spent a couple of hours on Littlehampton beach. Two unusual gulls have been receiving a lot of attention here recently. Both were present during my visit, but I must confess to being a little underwhelmed by the juvenile Kumlien's Gull, despite it being only a second for the county. The Glaucous Gull is, however, a different kettle of fish. Large, imposing and brutish looking, this second winter bird was much more impressive, and much easier to pick out amongst the large and varied flock.
UKB Glaucous Gull (2) Littlehampton 13.2.14.jpg
UKB Glaucous Gull (1) Littlehampton 13.2.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Saving Pearls

Today (16th February) I joined an enthusiastic group of eleven volunteers and staff, representing the South Downs National Park Authority, Butterfly Conservation and the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust. Together we made great progress in opening up the woodland around a junction between several paths through Houghton Forest near Arundel. Following the creation of a large clearfell in 2009, at least one adventurous female Pearl-bordered Fritillary travelled the 2Kms from Rewell Wood the following spring. Since then the butterfly has reappeared annually, although numbers are still very modest. Suitable habitat is currently quite limited, but we are hoping that an ongoing programme of work parties (next on Friday 28th February) will assist the Forestry Commission in establishing a stronger colony here. Thanks to the efforts of Simon, Helena, Karen, Leonie, Ayla, Mike, Tim, Paul, Colin and Dan (BC SE Regional Officer), we left at least one area of the forest looking much more attractive to PBFs and other butterflies. As a bonus, most participants managed to see their first butterfly of the year, when a Red Admiral paid us a visit on this pleasantly warm and sunny morning.
UKB Houghton Forest work party 16.2.14.jpg
UKB Houghton Forest work party attendees 16.2.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Glaucous (Part 2)

This afternoon (18th February) I headed back to the mouth of the Arun at Littlehampton, to have another go at photographing the impressive, second-winter Glaucous Gull. It wasn't long before UKBer Colin Knight appeared, unsurprising given that the sun came out and he only lives a few hundred metres away. We soon discovered the best way to improve upon our previous efforts ... by throwing bread at it! :D
UKB Glaucous (1) Littlehampton 18.2.14.jpg
UKB Glaucous (2) Littlehampton 18.2.14.jpg
UKB Glaucous (3) Littlehampton 18.2.14.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

... by throwing bread at it! :D
An entertaining way to feed gulls bread is with a catapult. I bought a powerful catapult on a visit to Wells-next-the-Sea (Norfolk) and soon had an appreciative audience of gulls and humans. Best sport is firing upwards at about 45 degrees with assorted crumbs (equivalent to shotgun pellets) and watch the fun. Gulls are such brilliant aerobatic pilots that it is unusual for any of the bread NOTto be caught in flight. Amazingly, there are never any gull-gull collisions, although quite a few "airprox".

an aviation near miss report is known as an "airprox"

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Gulls

Just before I unscrew my birding head in readiness for the imminent start to the butterfly season (I've still only managed a single Red Admiral), I thought I'd chase another species of gull which has been showing quite well in my area. It wasn't difficult to find the pair of Little Gull at Brooklands boating lake in East Worthing, and they came in very close, but photographing them was different matter. These small, agile gulls can accelerate and stall with impressive speed, making them very difficult to track with the camera. In the end I got a lucky shot, but a Lumix is always going to struggle when pushed to these limits. This particular bird sported beautiful, rose-tinted under-parts.
UKB Little Gull, Worthing 25.2.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Heyshott Dozen

This morning (26th February) we had a good turnout at the weekly Heyshott Escarpment work party. Amongst the enthusiastic dozen who turned out to bash more scrub in the sunshine were UKBers Katrina and Colin Knight. As always, we made good progress in turning the clock back and revealing more of the old chalk workings. The reserve is looking better than ever as the new season approaches.
UKB Heyshott Work Party 26.2.14.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Roseate/Little Gull Neil - it really shows off the diagnostic dark under wings :D Good work at Heyshott, I'd love to visit but I think it would use too much petrol.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel. If you ever manage to be anywhere near Heyshott (just south of Midhurst) in May, you won't regret squeezing in a visit.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Working In Partnership

This morning I joined a workforce of seven, to continue the creation of a substantial woodland glade at the intersection of several paths through Houghton Forest near Arundel. This area will hopefully become home to the Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Grizzled Skipper within a few years. I suspect that the Silver-washed Fritillary and White Admiral will show their appreciation this coming summer.

Perhaps the most striking thing about today's gathering was the mix of attendees. We had staff and volunteers representing BC Sussex, South Downs National Park Authority, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (Arundel) and the Forestry Commission. One thing is certain, a huge amount was achieved before the clouds and rain arrived midway through the afternoon. A great team effort!
UKB Houghton Forest work party 28.2.14.jpg
UKB Houghton Forest work party (2) 28.2.14.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Happy birthday Neil! :)

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

HB from me too, Neil!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Many happy returns!

Have a goodun/Birthday

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Happy Birthday Neil,

Cheers,

Neil.

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

..............and Happy Birthday from me as well :D

Best Wishes

Vince

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Many happy returns!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks all! Fortunately I feel more 23 than 53. Pleased to report that I received a copy of 'BB's Butterflies', commemorating the life and works of Denys Watkins-Pitchford MBE. Highly recommended.

Best Wishes, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”