Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Pauline

Post by Maximus »

Nice Wood White pics and well found, Pauline :D I'd also have taken off my close up lens, given that there was just the one :wink:

Mike

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I really like the second and third shots Pauline, Wood Whites for me are just that little bit too far. :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

They're difficult subjects, Wood Whites. They dither and tend only to settle briefly and it's always hard to get the exposure right with them.

You did well to get images of them 'sitting still'.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline

Just catching up with your diary. Your Silver Washed Frit larvae are a nice find, I might have a look for some of my own. I love your Green Hairstreaks they are one of my favourites :D I failed to find any at all at my local site today.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Mike, you say Pauline's last photo of the Wood White is up to standard, but half the photograph [wings] is out of focus. So are you saying this is standard for Pauline's photography, or the standard set by members of this forum. I think you are wrong on both accounts, as the standard of photography is excellent on this forum.

Sorry for barging in on your P.D. Pauline, but while i'm here, how are your Small Copper larva doing? I would be very interested to know. :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

As most will know I welcome, indeed encourage, constructive criticism which, over time, has certainly helped to improve my photography and increase my knowledge a little. I must therefore thank Mike for his comments relating to my 'bleached' images - although I suspect you were being kind to me Mike as it is the start of the season and you know that my performance always slips a bit after the Winter :roll: (you could have said an awful lot worse :wink: ) . Hopefully it will soon pick up again :) . However, it was the exposure compensation that I was trying to adjust when the butterfly 'escaped' the first time so I was taking no chances, just intent on getting some record shots. I could not seem to get past -1 so I am not sure whether there is something wrong with the camera in this respect or whether it is just taking longer than usual to respond. On that basis I was interested to read your report on your early experiences with your new Olympus Mike. I hope you will keep us informed on that one in case I need to acquire a replacement.

I have always found members on this forum to provide helpful, encouraging and balanced comments. However Nick, if you have any queries or issues about comments addressed to me by other members, or if you need any explanation or clarification regarding these, could you please take your discussion outside of my PD.

Paul, I was incredibly envious to see your shot of the Painted Lady :mrgreen: Let us hope there are many more on their way here :D . Good luck in your quest for SWF larva - you might need to spend a little time.

You are very kind David - it was quite windy and I had a few problems trying to change the camera settings but I got the record shot I was after. Hopefully I can do a bit better than this as the season progresses.

It is such a pity you are a distance away Wurzel as I would be delighted to show you round this site. Still, I expect we'll get a chance to 'catch up' before too long :D

Thank you for your comment Mike. I should be saying this in YOUR diary but your recent photos are incredible - love the PH - great observations.
Last edited by Pauline on Mon May 04, 2015 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I was wondering didn't you mention a sick Fox you were looking after ? how's the Fox doing I forgot to ask before? Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, nice photos of the Wood Whites, a species that I have missed seeing for the past couple of years. I must try harder this year.

I know what you mean regarding getting back into practice at the start of the season, I too seem to forget half of what I previously knew. On top of that, due to a few bumps and knocks, I have replaced my FZ150 with a FZ200 which despite being very similar takes a 'different' looking photo using the same settings so I am still playing around and finding my feet with it so to speak.

Cheers,

Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Neil - I'm pleased you liked the Wood White shots. It was good to see them. I hope you get to grips with the new camera soon. Mine is definitely 'playing up', refusing to change some settings and responding to all setting changes (and switching on) very slowly. I am dreading having to replace it as it takes me forever to get used to a new camera. For example, yesterday Mike gave me a much needed 'kick up the backside' to make some improvements to my shots and thanks to his nudge I have only now discovered that the camera does bracketing for exposure compensation :oops: :shock: - and it's dead easy to do too :D

Thank you for your interest Goldie. A quick update just for you :D . Foxy's epileptic fits are becoming more frequent and sometimes in clusters. I give him diazepam injections but it looks like he might have to go onto more permanent medication. Here he is on the sofa:
P1460795d.jpg
His mate Chance had a broken pelvis in his youth and now suffers badly from arthritis so has to have daily injections of metacam, an anti-inflammatory. Here he is taking some gentle exercise. My wild rabbit Lucky loves him and tries to follow him around :?
P1460859d.jpg
Back to butterflies. After a morning at the dentist yesterday I was in need of some fresh air so although the weather wasn't ideal I set off for Noar Hill as it is nice and close. I was surprised that there were a number of Dukes flying but most had outstretched wings trying to soak up the intermittent weak sun or were hunkered down in the grass out of the wind. Like the Dingies the colour ranged from bright orange individuals to very dark specimens:
P1460860ad.jpg
(If you look carefully Mike the wing tip is out of focus again :wink: :lol: )

However, the shot I wanted was one with closed wings and I just wasn't getting that until I came across this individual - she looked like she was pole-dancing in the breeze as she spun round and climbed up and down, but once the sun appeared she was off:
P1460879ad.jpg
P1460883ad.jpg
I completely forgot to check on the Brimstone eggs but I did check 'Andy's' blackthorn bush and the second egg has now hatched also. Looked like tiny signs of feeding damage but couldn't see any larva:
P1460900ad.jpg
The weather isn't great here this weekend so I hope it is better where you are. Have a good break :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Lovely Duke undersides, Pauline. I never noticed the blurred wingtip, either - I think the important thing is to capture the 'character' of the butterfly (after all, this is a 'butterflies' site and not a photo competition :) ) You remind me that I must visit my local 'Duke' site, to see how they are getting on, but things do seem a bit slower-moving here. I've only had one glimpse of an Orange Tip so far.

I'm sorry to hear your camera is playing up. At my advanced age, I find change is very difficult and I was quite exhausted yesterday, after a day of trying to get to grips with my Olympus (and its software). I like to feel that I am on top of these things, before using them in earnest, but it does take some effort! Now, I need to rest on the sofa, like your delightful fox.

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice photos of the foxes, Pauline. Our dog Max also has a daily dose of metacam to help him stay fit and healthy.

Your closed wing shots of the Dukes, (Duchesses again I believe), are superb :D :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The abdomen suggested 'duchess' to me but there only seem to be four legs (females have six), so I'm thinking Duke. Perhaps those with more expertise can comment?

Mike(O)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

MikeOxon wrote:The abdomen suggested 'duchess' to me but there only seem to be four legs (females have six), so I'm thinking Duke. Perhaps those with more expertise can comment?

Mike(O)
The shape of the forwings does also look rather 'male like'

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sounds like you've got a real interest besides the Butterflies Pauline :) Foxy looks relaxed and comfortable on the sofa, Your rabbit sounds like he thinks he's a fox :D you've got your hands full but if you love animals it's not a chore :)

Your Duke photos are really nice , when I go to Gaits Barrow the chances are I won't get very close to them, the area is all roped off to protect them and going under the ropes is a no, no, although some people do it, I usually have to zoom in on them so the shots are not always what I want, hope fully one will land with in an arms distance :lol:
It's raining and cold today and no one yet as put any thing on Lanc's Butterflies saying they've been seen so I'll have to have patience and hope the weather gets warmer Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your comments. It seems I need to improve my observational skills as well as my photography :roll: It was the abdomen that fooled me into thinking this Duke was a Duchess but given the number of legs there can be no doubt that I was mistaken :oops:

I really hope it won't be too long before you get to see the Dukes Goldie but if it's any consolation the rain here is very persistent. As a result I shall just post a few recent shots of the WA cats which seem to be progressing well (tho' I don't want to tempt fate by speaking too soon!). I feel that I learned a lot last year from my success and my mistakes and have picked up some more tips from Pete's excellent guidelines so fingers crossed.
P1460808ad.jpg
P1460777ad.jpg
P1460921ad.jpg
What I don't understand is the different rate of development of the 2 cats which have been kept in identical conditions.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
I'm afraid I cannot accept ' well spotted ' for the oviposting Orange Tip. After she landed I did notice her
hold her wings open much wider than normal, bent forward even. It was only when I went to post the image
that it became clear that I had recorded something rather special !.

Thanks anyway :D
TREVOR.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It is almost a year since I lost my dear cat Stanleigh and it seems that my fox now also has an uncertain future. It is at these times that I find butterflies to be especially uplifting and although at the moment I can't get out as much, or for as long, as I would like, seeking them out seems to be an essential escapism. This afternoon it has been quite windy but I was determined not to let that put me off as I had a brief window of opportunity. I reminded myself of the Summer of 2012 which was incredibly wet, but by going out in less than ideal conditions, not only did I see many butterflies, but also learned a lot about their behaviour.

I set out for a local site only 10 mins away which I have not visited for 2/3 years. There is a very small colony of PBF there but I was not sure whether they would still exist or even if I would be too early - this tends to be quite a late site. Given the weather I had no high hopes but a few minutes after arriving I spotted one roosting in the trees. This reminded me of a similar situation quite a few years ago when determined to get a shot of a roosting PBF I returned home for a step ladder and carried it through the woods at about 5.00am!!!!! :roll:

I had to wait a while for the butterfly to come down but it was incredibly difficult to get any sort of shot. I am tempted to post all of the failures - when the butterfly was blown half out of the frame, all the shots that are blurred, taken at a distance etc but eventually patience paid off and I managed a few half decent shots, posted below:
P1470111ad.jpg
P1470130ad.jpg
P1470080ad.jpg
P1470119ad.jpg
P1470073ad.jpg
P1470069ad.jpg
P1470029ad.jpg
P1470042ad.jpg
In total I only saw 3 individuals so I hope numbers pick up.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,

Super Pearl images, i think the Butterfly with the heavy, dark markings might qualify as an ab.
I am sure that those in the know will comment on it.

Good luck with your Animals,
TREVOR.

nomad

Post by nomad »

Lovely Pearl-bordered Frits. Yes that's an aberration. :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry to hear about your Fox Pauline, hope he gets better.
Your PBF's are superb Pauline, I managed to get some Duke photo's yesterday in spite of the lack of Ferns etc , I was surprised at the amount of coppicing that had been done at Gait Barrow , for the first time in going up there I didn't see one Speckled Wood all the bushes they used to be in were chopped to ground level, it's surprising how I missed them dodging along the path in front of me and in and out of the trees, hope fully their still around some where. Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”