Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Ian,
Yes, still using the old FZ38. It can still take a reasonable image if I feed it enough coal and pedal hard enough!
Would be good to catch up with you on the island for some Large Tort action this spring.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

RBMs

While waiting for butterflies to reappear, a little more birding. This afternoon (16th January) I visited Widewater Lagoon at Shoreham, where a long-staying group of Red-breasted Mergansers were putting on a good show.
RBM4 16.1.14.jpg
RBM3 16.1.14.jpg
RBM1 16.1.14.jpg
RBM2 16.1.14.jpg
RBM5 16.1.14.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

RBM Again

Coincidentally, while I was watching Red-breasted Mergansers at Widewater Lagoon, my brother was finishing an illustration of the same species, while at his home in Antwerp. His efforts in pen & ink are rather better than mine with the camera, so here's his version in all its glory.
Red-breasted merganser by Mark Hulme.bmp

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Very nice piece of artwork.

It's funny how birds common in one area can be rarities in another. RBMs are relatively common here on Mull but there are no GC Grebes, Coots or Moorhens :!: So I was ecstatic when I saw a Moorhen on the river in Oban last Wednesday.

Jack

Susie

Post by Susie »

Sussex Kipper wrote:RBM Again

Coincidentally, while I was watching Red-breasted Mergansers at Widewater Lagoon, my brother was finishing an illustration of the same species, while at his home in Antwerp. His efforts in pen & ink are rather better than mine with the camera, so here's his version in all its glory.
Red-breasted merganser by Mark Hulme.bmp
Lovely. You come from a very talented family :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Egging Around West Sussex

I spent last Sunday and Tuesday (19th and 21st January) on the Knepp Castle Estate ‘Wildland’ project area, where I’m involved in the long-term monitoring of butterfly populations as they react to the process of re-wilding. Some species, such as Purple Emperor, are undergoing a ‘population explosion’ at Knepp, but, unsurprisingly, there are both winners and losers.

It appears that one of those species which doesn’t seem to enjoy re-wilding, at least under the current herbivore stocking densities, is the Brown Hairstreak. From a distance, the Knepp Estate appears to offer a fantastic home for this species, with many miles of blackthorn-rich hedges punctuated by potentially suitable master trees. Short, suckering growth can also be seen widely around the Estate, which appears ideal for the butterfly, until examined more closely.

These short suckers are actually composed of tough, old wood, now invariably caked in lichens. Younger shoots of fresh-looking, purplish-grey blackthorn on which female hairstreaks prefer to lay their eggs are all-but-absent. It appears that the free-ranging herds of Longhorn cattle, Fallow, Red and Roe deer, Exmoor ponies and Tamworth pigs are browsing off almost all the young wood suitable for oviposition.

This innovative re-wilding scheme often causes confusion amongst the public, as it is a project without any defined management outcomes or goals. The project seeks only to observe and measure the effects of a more naturalistic grazing regime, as the land is allowed to largely manage itself. This sort of re-wilding might provide an alternate approach to the use of land which is at best only marginally profitable for more traditional farming. Re-wilding does, however, bring the sort of benefits (Ecosystem Services) which we have traditionally undervalued, such as carbon sequestration and water purification.

The degree to which the blackthorn at Knepp is currently being browsed may reflect pressures more complex than livestock densities alone. One of the more spectacular (although almost certainly short-term) effects of ceasing to plough and fertilise arable land is the periodic dominance of some invasive plant species. Currently, large areas at Knepp appear to be under a monoculture of fleabane. This will reduce the available grass for herbivores, probably driving a greater reliance on the browsing of shrubs. Although heavier browsing of the blackthorn won’t be suiting the Brown Hairstreak, the development of sallow jungles elsewhere is certainly putting a smile on the Emperor’s face.

Having discovered last year that Brown Hairstreak egg densities over much of the ‘Wildland’ area were much lower than initially expected (from e.g. satellite imagery of blackthorn distribution), this winter I am looking at comparable areas of food-plant just outside the fenced boundaries. One stretch of hedgerow within the project area which did yield a good number of eggs (23 per hour) last year, running along the edge of a public ‘green lane’, will now be surveyed annually as a ‘control’; this area produced 19 eggs per hour on Sunday. It would appear that browsing pressure here is much reduced, probably due to the regular passage of walkers and riders nearby. I even managed to see adult hairstreaks along this field margin last August.

Although more research is required to make a water-tight case, some of my results this year have fallen into a clearly developing pattern. A two hour search around the margins of four fields within the project area produced only two eggs, both being on new growth tight against the boundary fence. I subsequently found 20 eggs per hour on the other side of the fence, where the hedge-line runs alongside a road ditch.

I also surveyed another area of the Knepp Castle Estate lying outside the ‘Wildland’ project area, finding 16 eggs per hour along the picturesque banks of the upper Adur, where it runs close to Shipley Church and the famous windmill. Sadly, this former home of literary genius and Sussex-lover Hilaire Belloc is no longer open to the public, although its great frame remains an integral part of the very beautiful local landscape.

I fully expect future surveys to confirm this emerging pattern. I shall also be surveying local roadside hedges which have been flailed in an all-too-familiar fashion, to see how surviving egg densities compare with the heavily browsed ‘Wildland’ area.
UKB Shipley Church.jpg
Shipley Church
UKB Shipley Mill.jpg
Shipley Mill
UKB Tamworth, Knepp 19.1.14 (1).jpg
Knepp Castle Estate Tamworth

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Neil, a very interesting posting regarding the mixed fortunes of the Brown Hairstreak on the Knepp Castle Estate.

We recently made a count of 12 eggs per hour at Noar Hill. Perhaps this count would have been higher, but for our inexperienced eyes! We found that eggs were not spread evenly across the site, but were concentrated in certain areas. While we were there we also noticed that a large area of scrub had been cleared on the reserve, (by brushcutter)? and found cuttings of young blackthorn among the debris. Worryingly this cut area was adjacent to an area where we found Brown Hairstreak eggs on young suckering blackthorn growth!

Noar Hill is obviously being managed primarily for the Duke of Burgundy, which has different requirements to the Brown Hairstreak. I guess its difficult to manage the reserve for both species?

We also noticed more hedges in the lanes around the reserve had been flailed, although we understand that this is apparently being carried out on a rotational basis, with the Brown Hairstreak in mind. However, many eggs must be lost by this practice, perhaps we will check these hedges for any remaining eggs at a later date.

Regards,

Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike,

It should be possible to manage effectively for both Dukes and Brown Hairstreaks on the same site, although other combinations, such as Dukes and Silver-spotted Skipper are a lot harder! As it happens the management for both Dukes and Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill was far from ideal when I last visited; populations of both species could potentially be much larger - and have been in the past.

For the benefit of Brown Hairstreak it's a case of having to break a few eggs to make an omelette (see what I did there? :D ). There are only a couple of weeks each year when the thorn can be cut without causing some losses to either egg or caterpillar, but it is very important that the blackthorn stock is actively managed. Rotational cutting is the key ingredient. Ideally no more than 1/3 of the shrub in the area being managed should be cut each year. At Steyning I ask them to cut 1/4 each year. With no growth older than 4 years this means the entire stock of blackthorn (and bullace) is suitable for oviposition each season, giving the best case scenario. If the blackthorn is not managed, it might save a few eggs over a few years, but an increasing percentage of the food-plant will start falling outside the ideal growth-form for this species, and the population will actually decrease before plateauing. Cutting should ideally be done (no more than 1/3 at a time) without fear, taking the plant back to ground zero. If blackthorn is cut like this the regrowth will actually be suitable for egg-laying the following August.

I'm not sure how the management at Noar Hill is looking these days, largely because I would find it impossible to pass Heyshott Escarpment to get there. 12 Brown Hairstreak eggs per hour doesn't sound too bad!

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Weekly Work-Out

On Wednesday (22nd January) I attended the weekly work party at Heyshott Escarpment. Thanks go to the usual suspects for giving up their time, including new UKB member Katrina who has now joined the regulars here. This week we started to cut a 'window' through the trees along the edge of the reserve, to provide both a wildlife corridor connecting adjacent habitat, and a panoramic view over the Weald. We will probably put a bench here, to allow for a welcome break on the way up to the more open grassland area.
UKB Heyshott work party 22.1.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Graffham Down Trust Reserves

This morning (31st January) I joined staff and a volunteer from the South Downs National Park Authority to continue work on one of the Graffham Down Trust’s reserves. This area is already looking much improved after recent work parties and today we made preparations to extend the clearing further, by removing an old deer fence. Over the next few weeks there will be a lot of activity on the GDT reserves, as a major new project gets underway. Details of this work, and how it came to be funded by BC Sussex (matched with SDNPA money), will be announced once the project has been completed. If everything goes to plan, we hope to build upon the successes achieved at Heyshott Escarpment, a short distance to the west.
UKB Graffham work party 31.1.14.jpg
UKB Graffham work party (2) 31.1.14.jpg
The previous day I made my first visit in many years to the Warnham Local Nature Reserve. It's even longer since I saw a Mealy Redpoll, so I was glad to catch up with the reserve's star visitor.
Mealy Redpoll, Warnham LNR 30.1.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Chalk Grassland Restoration

Today (7th February) I joined a couple of contractors at Kithurst Hill (aka Springhead), to finish off this winter’s work on the chalk grassland restoration we started a few years back. Removal of secondary woodland and heavy scrub in several stages has revealed some lovely hummocky terrain near the car park bend. The area cleared is now approximately 100 m x 30 m and the hollows cleared out by the first stage of work have already proven a big hit with the butterflies. There are early signs that the green hay strewing performed last autumn has also been successful. This process involves spreading the arisings from the autumn cut & collect of the adjacent meadow over the exposed chalk scree. The 'green hay' contains plenty of seed and this technique is a good way of accelerating the establishment of desirable chalk-loving plants.

Last season we recorded Silver-spotted Skipper here for the first time, bringing the total number of species I've seen in this golden hectare (the meadow and road banks) to 39. It would be hard to beat that anywhere in the UK. As always on these occasions, I spent some time day-dreaming about what the coming season might bring. In only ten weeks time this place will be carpeted in cowslips.
UKB Kithurst Hill Chalk Grassland Restoration 7.2.14.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you for doing such super work. It is a smashing place.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie. You should be able to see a large proportion of your 2014 target species here. It's the sort of place which can always provide a few surprises too. I once watched a male Purple Emperor fluttering around the rear end of a horse, as it was pushed into its box in the gated, private car park.
BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to seeing the full fruits of your labours later in the year Neil :D
39 species is a great number for a single site - I was chuffed with 22 at Larkhill so I'll have to look even harder this year now :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Wurzel,
I don't know Larkhill, but I bet you could squeeze a couple more species out of it. If my memory serves me correctly, Bentley Wood can do 43 or 44, but that's a lot bigger than a hectare and I'm guessing a lot bigger than Larkhill. A friend of mine once managed to see 31 species in a day in East Sussex, using only a bicycle to get around. I reckon that would be hard to beat in the UK.
BWs, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...bet you could squeeze a couple more species out of it.
You are quite right about "squeezing" a patch. When i lived in Cambridgeshire, my very ordinary local patch (five minutes walk from where I lived) produced a total of 26 species in the 22 years I lived there. But I never saw any hairstreaks despite the apparent suitability of the habitat, especially for Green H. I would confess to a little fib. Wall Brown occurred when I first lived there. It soon died out but Marbled White became a new colonist towards the end of my time; the two species never overlapped.

Jack

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Neil Hulme wrote: A friend of mine once managed to see 31 species in a day in East Sussex, using only a bicycle to get around. I reckon that would be hard to beat in the UK
My record for a day in the UK is 27 species, all in Sussex of course. :D

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Lee,

I managed 30 Sussex species in a day on one occasion, with 28 of them being at Newtimber Hill, opposite Devil's Dyke on the East/West Sussex border. However, a car was involved in bagging the other 2. Newtimber Hill (National Trust managed) is a very good venue for ticking off a good number of species and on a sunny day in late July it should be relatively straightforward to get 25. Unsurprisingly, it combines good chalk grassland and woodland habitats. My day was particularly memorable as the tally included a Large Tortoiseshell. :D

I hope we get to catch up this season. It's been a while!

BWs, Neil

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Lee,

I managed 30 Sussex species in a day on one occasion, with 28 of them being at Newtimber Hill, opposite Devil's Dyke on the East/West Sussex border. However, a car was involved in bagging the other 2. Newtimber Hill (National Trust managed) is a very good venue for ticking off a good number of species and on a sunny day in late July it should be relatively straightforward to get 25. Unsurprisingly, it combines good chalk grassland and woodland habitats. My day was particularly memorable as the tally included a Large Tortoiseshell. :D

I hope we get to catch up this season. It's been a while!
A LT too...nice. There were a few obvious gaps in my tally for that day so I think 30 would be achievable at the sites I visited but 28 at one site; that is good. It sounds like Newtimber Hill will be receiving a visit!

Definitely, I will be in touch.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It's hardly important but your diary is now called "Neil Hulme" and not "Sussex Kipper".

Did you make the change Neil or did computer software somehow impose it on you?

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”